BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Help/advice needed for Recaro Sportster GT seats.

09-10-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Help/advice needed for Recaro Sportster GT seats.

Hey guys, finally decided I'm going to get some Recaro's for my M2, but I'm a bit confused about the seat rails/adapters. I'm short, 5'5", so I have the stock seat all the way up, but would prefer just a bit more height if I'm honest. So the seat rails/adapters I choose for the Recaro's is very important to me.

Turner recommends these, but can't tell me if they will go as high or higher than the stock seat.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...driver-f87-m2/

I'm also wondering about coding. I suppose it's something @Kubax86 can do for me. Any experiences with that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 01:40 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I'd check out the Brey Krause motorized base too since the seat mounts have to clear the motorized base (higher up).

I'd also double check that mount Turner recommended. The Sportster GT is a bottom mount seat, so maybe you'd have to mount it directly to the rails of the Turner kit and ditch the L-bracket side mounts all together? You'd need to verify where the rails mount to on the base matches the the mount spacing on the bottom of the GTs. There's no height adjustability though like you would have with a side mount.

I can do race seat coding for you too.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14956.50
      09-10-2023, 03:20 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I'd check out the Brey Krause motorized base too since the seat mounts have to clear the motorized base (higher up).
Will do.

Quote:
There's no height adjustability though like you would have with a side mount.
Unfortunately, that won't work.

Quote:
I can do race seat coding for you too.
I'll take you up on that!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 06:20 PM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

don't have any recs but that kit on turner is really interesting. I want to run a manual bucket and not a lot out there, just match schnell kit which I have not heard great things about. Also its nice that this one centers you with the wheel which is awesome. A bit pricey for sure.

Oh also, why not look for the recaros with the side airbags, then you don't have to code anything. I will admit those side bags are ugly as sin though
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14956.50
      09-10-2023, 07:56 PM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
don't have any recs but that kit on turner is really interesting. I want to run a manual bucket and not a lot out there, just match schnell kit which I have not heard great things about. Also its nice that this one centers you with the wheel which is awesome. A bit pricey for sure.

Oh also, why not look for the recaros with the side airbags, then you don't have to code anything. I will admit those side bags are ugly as sin though
I don't like the ones with the airbags. My first choice is the G80/87 carbon buckets, but even if I found them for sale I'm sure they would be out of my price range. With the SGT/rails/coding I should be less than $4500.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 06:04 AM   #6
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I don't like the ones with the airbags. My first choice is the G80/87 carbon buckets, but even if I found them for sale I'm sure they would be out of my price range. With the SGT/rails/coding I should be less than $4500.
yeah the g80 buckets are super expensive (overpriced imo), I saw a set being sold for 10k and apparently that is actually a good deal, normally 15k on the used market.

And yeah the bags bother me too, just looks weird. I wonder how much the AMXs are cuz would be nice to have matching blue stitching.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 07:07 AM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
yeah the g80 buckets are super expensive (overpriced imo), I saw a set being sold for 10k and apparently that is actually a good deal, normally 15k on the used market.

And yeah the bags bother me too, just looks weird. I wonder how much the AMXs are cuz would be nice to have matching blue stitching.
Yeah, $15K is out. AMX is awesome, and blue stitching FTW.

I like these, the pleats remind me of the old Ferrari's, which I have always loved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
F87Tomei281.50
qnet697.50
      09-11-2023, 12:37 PM   #8
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
BTW, the OEM version of the G80 buckets is the Recaro Sport C. Not cheap, but not as bad as the G80 buckets. The coupe version of these seats might be out now (they weren't a couple months ago when I last checked, only sedan version was).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
ZM23018.50
      09-11-2023, 01:43 PM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
BTW, the OEM version of the G80 buckets is the Recaro Sport C. Not cheap, but not as bad as the G80 buckets. The coupe version of these seats might be out now (they weren't a couple months ago when I last checked, only sedan version was).
Thanks for that, but I think they're cost prohibitive.

I've been talking with AUTOcouture this morning, and it looks like what I need is...

- Sportster GT (base black CS is discontinued) ($1875)
- Sportster GT seat slider track kit ($145)
- Planted base ($185)
- Planted base spacers (unknown size) ($59.95)

Total is $2,226 per side, so $4,652, which I think is quite a bit less expensive than the G seats ($3,635 for each seat alone).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 04:59 PM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I also think better looking and more in the classic lines of OG
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 09:14 PM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
OMG, I’ve found my next upgrade. G carbon seats with power adjustment and heat!

Please remind me, the DE clubs are/are not OK with different driver and passenger seats if the restraint system is the same? I’d continue to run my three point on both sides bc I don’t have a cage.

I know having two different looking seats in the car would drive ///MPhatic insane, but he also keeps his car a lot shinier than I do.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 09:18 PM   #12
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I also think better looking and more in the classic lines of OG
AMX has yet to get back to me on a price.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 10:59 PM   #13
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Please remind me, the DE clubs are/are not OK with different driver and passenger seats if the restraint system is the same? I’d continue to run my three point on both sides bc I don’t have a cage.
This is highly region specific. Out here on the West Coast they wouldn't care.

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:00 AM   #14
ThreeStripes
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Saw a set of AMX seats in the wild and they were beautiful. Either way this is an upgrade though.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic14956.50
qnet697.50
      09-12-2023, 09:25 AM   #15
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Non-US resident here.

Animal Racing consoles will fit Recaro Sportsters, they are basically universal, but will sit even lower than other offerings for Recaro Pole Positions that we have got in Germany.

The Sportster CS will actually fit OE BMW manual seat sliders/rails - BMW sold the Recaros for E8x/E9x afterall. Then you need the actual adapter to mount the seat on the rail, a Recaro dealer should be able to order the pair. AM190.

Seating position will be either the same or slightly higher.

If you were to get Recaro Pole Positions rather than Sportsters, you would have many more aftermarket options to choose from which actually utilise OE BMW seat rails, incl. OE seat belt receptacles.

When it comes to seats, I would try to stay as close to OE equipment as possible.
Attached Images

09-12-2023, 09:39 AM   #16
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Non-US resident here.

Animal Racing consoles will fit Recaro Sportsters, they are basically universal, but will sit even lower than other offerings for Recaro Pole Positions that we have got in Germany.

The Sportster CS will actually fit OE BMW manual seat sliders/rails - BMW sold the Recaros for E8x/E9x afterall. Then you need the actual adapter to mount the seat on the rail, a Recaro dealer should be able to order the pair. AM190.

Seating position will be either the same or slightly higher.

If you were to get Recaro Pole Positions rather than Sportsters, you would have many more aftermarket options to choose from which actually utilise OE BMW seat rails, incl. OE seat belt receptacles.

When it comes to seats, I would try to stay as close to OE equipment as possible.
Great info.

What is the seat pictured? And the rails? Looks pretty awesome. Any more pix of the full seat?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 01:19 PM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Great info.

What is the seat pictured? And the rails? Looks pretty awesome. Any more pix of the full seat?
Sportster CS, OEM rails, Recaro mounts.

Not my car, just info from the German forum. I'd like the Pole Positions with M4 GTS mounting system. I found the Sportster CS to be too wide for my hips.

Have you tried them?
      09-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #18
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Sportster CS, OEM rails, Recaro mounts.

Not my car, just info from the German forum. I'd like the Pole Positions with M4 GTS mounting system. I found the Sportster CS to be too wide for my hips.

Have you tried them?

I haven't, but I've sat in several similar sets, as they use that seat for several OEM applications.

I don't like the PP for the bolsters, and for the lack of rake adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 04:07 PM   #19
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I haven't, but I've sat in several similar sets, as they use that seat for several OEM applications.

I don't like the PP for the bolsters, and for the lack of rake adjustment.
Just as a heads up the Sportster line has the same amount of bolstering as a F80 seat - they felt pretty much the same to me when I was shopping for seats.
      09-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #20
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Sportsers have better side bolstering on the upper oblique area (sides below arm pit) over OE F8X seats IMO. For skinny folks it might not feel tight enough though (likewise with the seat pan thigh bolstering), but for my ~40 chest and ~33 waist they're very nice.

Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14956.50
      09-12-2023, 10:08 PM   #21
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Just as a heads up the Sportster line has the same amount of bolstering as a F80 seat - they felt pretty much the same to me when I was shopping for seats.
I'm only swapping because the stock seats are ugly. I feel the same about the Comp seats, otherwise I'd go OEM, so no worries on the bolstering, but thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 11:30 PM   #22
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I'm only swapping because the stock seats are ugly. I feel the same about the Comp seats, otherwise I'd go OEM, so no worries on the bolstering, but thanks for the info!
Agree the Sportsters look much better and you will save a little bit of weight too. You can technically run a 6pt (if that matters) but I wouldn’t on a reclinable seat. 4pt w/ ASM would be the move. If you are okay with a manual slider, you can look into the Machat Schnell Club Sport mount - I have it and you can get the seat positioned pretty high with it if you wanted.

I replaced my seat because I wanted to run a harness but was also looking for something with more support than OE. The two popular options are usually Sportsters or Cobra Nogaros but I found both offered little additional bolstering over the F80/comp seats. I ended up with a Pro2000 which is quite aggressively bolstered.