No 9 20.93%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

03-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
heli_ben
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C on order...

Cosworth M2C Tuning

Would you be interested in poerformance tuning of the S55 by Cosworth?

Thanks, Ben
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
heli_ben
Private First Class
Rep

Back to the top for more votes please!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 03:18 AM   #3
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

What would this tuning entail? Cosworth is quite expensive usually and I am not sure they can add much value compared to the myriad of other tuners out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 04:21 AM   #4
heli_ben
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
What would this tuning entail? Cosworth is quite expensive usually and I am not sure they can add much value compared to the myriad of other tuners out there.
Not sure... they did my Caterham engine and it produces the numbers reliably and drama free. They may be expensive, but they do it right and with such an expensive engine, I’d like the piece of mind!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Other than how each is individually implemented, how does one flash tuner differ from the other?

They all just circumvent the ECU firewall, tinkle with the settings and change factory set parameters to increase the boost load. The end.

It's like Coke and Pepsi; same stuff, different name. Whichever one is on sale this week, taste better to me
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

If they offer some sort of engine warranty like AC Schnitzer then yes!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Other than how each is individually implemented, how does one flash tuner differ from the other?

They all just circumvent the ECU firewall, tinkle with the settings and change factory set parameters to increase the boost load. The end.

It's like Coke and Pepsi; same stuff, different name. Whichever one is on sale this week, taste better to me
Except in your analogy some of the budget colas don’t have good QC and might be poisonous. You buy coke and pepsi because you know they are safe and not vato cola which may have all kinds a crap in it.

My point is there are already several coke and pepsi options for the S55 so why add frits cola to the mix?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

Except in your analogy some of the budget colas don't have good QC and might be poisonous. You buy coke and pepsi because you know they are safe and not vato cola which may have all kinds a crap in it.

My point is there are already several coke and pepsi options for the S55 so why add frits cola to the mix?
I hear you on that but my point was that all aftermarket tunes are all the same concept when you break them down. It's some nerd sitting behind a laptop changing the factor parameters with more power as the goal and not really QC or longevity of the vehicle.

The tuning manufacturers and vendors are all salespeople and major part of selling is suppressing the bad and highlighting the good, so it's difficult to figure out who has the safer product. The pricing difference is just an arbitrary marketing number and doesn't really reflect quality.

I'm a cynical and skeptical person but also pretty perceptive; all tunes are the same but I would only trust a company that has something to lose, such as a backing warranty on the vehicle; it keeps everyone in check. Which all but one aftermarket tuner does not, so they all have the same inherent risk, by extension, same lack of so called QC.

If you going to roll the dice and flash tune your vehicle, just pick the cheapest one and hope that your motor doesn't blow up in a year.

Taking a 'quality assurance' guarantee from any aftermarket tuner is as effective as praying; it's just words
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
I hear you on that but my point was that all aftermarket tunes are all the same concept when you break them down. It's some nerd sitting behind a laptop changing the factor parameters with more power as the goal and not really QC or longevity of the vehicle.

The tuning manufacturers and vendors are all salespeople and major part of selling is suppressing the bad and highlighting the good, so it's difficult to figure out who has the safer product. The pricing difference is just an arbitrary marketing number and doesn't really reflect quality.

I'm a cynical and skeptical person but also pretty perceptive; all tunes are the same but I would only trust a company that has something to lose, such as a backing warranty on the vehicle; it keeps everyone in check. Which all but one aftermarket tuner does not, so they all have the same inherent risk, by extension, same lack of so called QC.

If you going to roll the dice and flash tune your vehicle, just pick the cheapest one and hope that your motor doesn't blow up in a year.

Taking a 'quality assurance' guarantee from any aftermarket tuner is as effective as praying; it's just words
Hot damn this is the most intelligent post I've seen in weeks in this forum.

I'm not even sure if this is real or if I'm dreaming...
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      03-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I mean you’re not wrong but even having a "guarantee" is no guarantee as they can always find a way to weasel out of it. If BMW or whatever OEM gives their seal of approval (like Ford UK does with some Mountune tunes) then I would say that one is a "safe" tune.

Also even though companies try to supress negative reviews they still come out and some shops still have much better reputations than others.

As to all tunes being the same, a great chef is not only defined by his ingredients but how he works with them. Ofc each tune changes, boost, timing, injection etc. its how this is done that is important.

I trusted Litchfield with my Focus RS as they have a great reputation and their tune was pretty conservative and lots of people on the forum im active on where very positive about them. As soon as I loaded the tune I went for a couple of drives and pulls and data-logged knock and spark timing. I used this to see if the engine was experiencing a lot of knock events and how severe each event was.

Everything was A OK so I kept the tune on the car and did not worry about it any further. Of course this is only one aspect of the tune but a fairly critical one that can easily be analysed if you know what you are doing.

So I do not take your point that tunes are not comparable, and that all tunes are roughly equivalent and only differentiated by marketing etc.

The risks is bigger than the stock tune thats for sure!

Last edited by Megator; 03-25-2019 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50