BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > S55 Charge-Air Cooler Failure

03-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #23
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
I'm very surprised that if it is such a common issue that nobody has reported hydrolocking the engine. Unless it's always a very tiny amount of leak at higher boost only... maybe this is BMWs way of dealing with carbon buildup :
I imagine most of the leaks are pretty small and the coolant ends up vaporizing in the intake stroke.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #24
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I wonder if these leaks are the reason why the new S58 motor puts the air/liquid cooler vertical and on the side of the motor and not the top like on the S55. By doing that, it greatly reduces the chances straight liquid going into the intake manifold. With the S58, the liquid would be more like a mist.
      03-18-2019, 05:26 AM   #25
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Sounds like the S55 has a few more potential issues than the N55.

A case of mo ponies mo problems...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #26
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by .2pdk View Post

For sure but it's still a rare problem. But my OCD will cost me an upgraded aftermarket charge-cooler and an upgraded front oil cooler guard shortly after taking delivery
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      03-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #27
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
For sure but it's still a rare problem. But my OCD will cost me an upgraded aftermarket charge-cooler and an upgraded front oil cooler guard shortly after taking delivery
Agreed, my OCD is high to the point where the available oil cooler skid plates still leave it vulnerable to smaller objects (stones, wires etc).

Will the aftermarket charge cooler void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #28
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Replace „after taking delivery" with „after the warranty expired"

Ride her HARD during the warranty period!

Regarding your (our) OCD -> don't forget about the spun crank hub!

Chances seem to be high that if at all, it (SCH) will happen sooner than later. And as long as all is covered by warranty mucho bueno... If the crank hub does not slip during the warranty period chances are very high it will never happen at all.
Appreciate 1
KevM2721.50
      03-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #29
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
In Switzerland, of course yes...

Another reason not to modify during warranty period
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #30
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
In Switzerland, of course yes...

Another reason not to modify during warranty period
Agreed.

In Canada I suspect it will open the door to warranty rejection as well...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:58 PM   #31
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, my OCD is high to the point where the available oil cooler skid plates still leave it vulnerable to smaller objects (stones, wires etc).

It will if it's found to be the cause of the problem. But I'm sure when the turbos need eventual servicing they will blame it on the intercooler. But I would rather pay for servicing in 7 years time versus risking coolant leak into my intake manifold or the fear of it happening at any moment at any mileage. I'm hoping somebody will open up their damaged oem intercooler soon so we can get to the bottom of what's causing the problem before i upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #32
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It will if it's found to be the cause of the problem. But I'm sure when the turbos need eventual servicing they will blame it on the intercooler. But I would rather pay for servicing in 7 years time versus risking coolant leak into my intake manifold or the fear of it happening at any moment at any mileage. I'm hoping somebody will open up their damaged oem intercooler soon so we can get to the bottom of what's causing the problem before i upgrade
The issues with the S55 are convincing me to keep the 2018 for now...
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #33
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The issues with the S55 are convincing me to keep the 2018 for now...
I would do the same but I've decided to sell my left kidney so I can have both cars
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #34
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I would do the same but I've decided to sell my left kidney so I can have both cars
I'm thinking the same way but really can't justify the M2C given what I'll use it for...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #35
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

I don't understand the rationale in changing the cooler during warranty.

If it leaks BMW will replace it with a new one. If the leak causes engine failure then BMW will either rebuild it or give you a new engine replacement.

All the aftermarket cooler will do is to lighten up your wallet (during warranty period) and give BMW a chance to deny your engine warranty if the aftermarket cooler s somehow faulty and caused engine issues.
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      03-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #36
.2pdk
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
I don't understand the rationale in changing the cooler during warranty.

If it leaks BMW will replace it with a new one. If the leak causes engine failure then BMW will either rebuild it or give you a new engine replacement.

All the aftermarket cooler will do is to lighten up your wallet (during warranty period) and give BMW a chance to deny your engine warranty if the aftermarket cooler s somehow faulty and caused engine issues.
I agree with all you've said but I suspect the part about getting a rebuilt engine may explain the rationale for some.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #37
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Reviving an old thread here. It seems that I'm experiencing the same failure as mentioned in this thread.

Took the car to the track this past weekend and received the drivetrain malfunction error after a few hot laps. Immediately noticed a lost of power (not full limp mode), mainly a lack of boost. Pitted, turned off the car and waited a little, turned the car back on and the error was gone. Went back out on the track and the error came back.

I ended up reading the code and it was indeed P10B0. I checked the coolant levels, the main reservoir was fine, the expansion reservoir or whatever it's called (smaller one, top of the charge cooler) was low. I checked for leaks but couldn't find anything. I topped it off with some distilled water, cleared the code and took the car out again on the next session. Error came back and so I called it a day. Guessing that the leak is internal. Code has since been gone and I was able to drive it back home.

Talked to an indy near me and he immediately suggested it was an internal leak and suggested an aftermarket upgrade. Car is a 2020 with only ~10k miles. I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday for them to take a look. Since the car is under warranty, I'd rather have the dealer replace it first, than plan on upgrading it after warranty is out. Will keep ya'll posted after I bring the car in.
Appreciate 2
chris7197331.50
Uscray134.00
      09-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #38
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopropham View Post
Reviving an old thread here. It seems that I'm experiencing the same failure as mentioned in this thread.

Took the car to the track this past weekend and received the drivetrain malfunction error after a few hot laps. Immediately noticed a lost of power (not full limp mode), mainly a lack of boost. Pitted, turned off the car and waited a little, turned the car back on and the error was gone. Went back out on the track and the error came back.

I ended up reading the code and it was indeed P10B0. I checked the coolant levels, the main reservoir was fine, the expansion reservoir or whatever it's called (smaller one, top of the charge cooler) was low. I checked for leaks but couldn't find anything. I topped it off with some distilled water, cleared the code and took the car out again on the next session. Error came back and so I called it a day. Guessing that the leak is internal. Code has since been gone and I was able to drive it back home.

Talked to an indy near me and he immediately suggested it was an internal leak and suggested an aftermarket upgrade. Car is a 2020 with only ~10k miles. I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday for them to take a look. Since the car is under warranty, I'd rather have the dealer replace it first, than plan on upgrading it after warranty is out. Will keep ya'll posted after I bring the car in.
Curious, mine has 30,000km since 2000km it has been stage3 and at the moment 0 problems with 610hp.
It would be nice to know why it happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 07:07 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Curious, mine has 30,000km since 2000km it has been stage3 and at the moment 0 problems with 610hp.
Probably manufacturing defect for some, thermal cycling for others.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:51 PM   #40
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
Probably manufacturing defect for some, thermal cycling for others.

I've noticed many get topped off at the dealership to a point much above max… that might be a reason too
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 02:24 PM   #41
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Update: dealership confirmed that there is a leak and the TMIC will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, they don't have one in stock and it's going to take several weeks for them to source.

Per the tech, it seems the leak only occurs under heavy load / when hot. They're ordering the part and I'll bring the car back in when they have it. I plan on upgrading to aftermarket but might as well use the warranty while I still have it. They gave me a whole jug of coolant meanwhile.

Fingers crossed it comes in time before my track event in a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 02:30 PM   #42
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Update: dealership confirmed that there is a leak and the TMIC will need to be replaced. Unfortunately, they don't have one in stock and it's going to take several weeks for them to source.

Per the tech, it seems the leak only occurs under heavy load / when hot. They're ordering the part and I'll bring the car back in when they have it. I plan on upgrading to aftermarket but might as well use the warranty while I still have it. They gave me a whole jug of coolant meanwhile.

Upgrade it to the mishimoto piece after you get a stock one
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 03:09 AM   #43
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

If you're planning on keeping the car for the long run, I would suggest order an aftermarket (Mishimoto is a good choice) and maybe sell the new one dealer installs. Too many of these seems to fail and you never know how much it will leak… massive leaks do happen and it would be a pain to deal with that
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #44
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you're planning on keeping the car for the long run, I would suggest order an aftermarket (Mishimoto is a good choice) and maybe sell the new one dealer installs. Too many of these seems to fail and you never know how much it will leak… massive leaks do happen and it would be a pain to deal with that
Do you think I'd be okay for now with just buying the Mishimoto TMIC rather than the full-on kit that includes heat exchanger, charge pipes, etc.?

Not opposed to buying those other things later, just really no need for it now, especially with everything still under warranty.

Maybe I could just buy now and install.. Then remove/replace with stock when I bring it in for normal servicing. Just afraid the dealer might say something about the warranty.
Appreciate 0