BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > MY2020 M2 Competition allocations: from February 2019 onwards

03-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #309
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karazy View Post
After seeing the SO in person last month at the Spokane auto show, I knew without a doubt it was the color for me. Simply stunning!
That picture is beautiful! I'm waiting to found out what ship we're on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #310
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
Car just went into production!

HS (but will probably explore wraps/ peelable paint)
6MT
Exec
Blue stitching
"black" wheels
Moonroof (I know, sacrilege)
Pick up at the Welt 4/20!
Very nice! Identical to my build (est prod 04/22) except I took the sacrilege a step further and got the DCT as well
      03-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #311
shadow135i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karazy View Post
After seeing the SO in person last month at the Spokane auto show, I knew without a doubt it was the color for me. Simply stunning!
That picture is beautiful! I'm waiting to found out what ship we're on.
Let me know when you find out, I bet ours will be on the same ship.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #312
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Same here fellas! I've been at port since 3/12, headed to the west coast (Port Hueneme) though.
Attached Images

MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:29 AM   #313
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Great to see some SO love 😀 I went in expecting to order HS and saw a SO in the flesh and there was no looking back.

I have mine arriving at my port (Australia) on the 12th April.
- SO
- 6MT
-"black" wheel option
- orange stitching

Aus spec cars come loaded with most other things standard, just didn't get sunroof / heated seats.

Can't wait!
Appreciate 1
csbear1118.00
      03-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #314
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Same here fellas! I've been at port since 3/12, headed to the west coast (Port Hueneme) though.
Looks like yours and my car will more than likely be on the same ship! Mine just got to the port and it's heading to the same location as yours!
      03-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #315
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_F87 View Post
Quote:
Looks like yours and my car will more than likely be on the same ship! Mine just got to the port and it's heading to the same location as yours!
Cool! I'm curious if it'll make the next vessel due 3/20 or the following 3/28. The 3/20 vessel's been delayed several times and was originally due 3/15. We'll see.
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #316
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Cool! I'm curious if it'll make the next vessel due 3/20 or the following 3/28. The 3/20 vessel's been delayed several times and was originally due 3/15. We'll see.
Whatever it is, I hope it's fast! Dying over here haha
      03-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #317
Karazy
Go Fast And Take Chances
United_States
Rep

You're gonna have a lot of fun ripping up Niles Canyon and Alice's restaruant on Hwy 35!

Cheers!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #318
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
I'm jealous of all these posts about their cars being at the port. I'm still waiting for a production slot for my 2020.

About how long did it take for others to go from 'order accepted' to the getting a date for production?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #319
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
I'm jealous of all these posts about their cars being at the port. I'm still waiting for a production slot for my 2020.

About how long did it take for others to go from 'order accepted' to the getting a date for production?
I got the call an allocation was in on February 15th, car went into production March 7th, expected completion of March 20th!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #320
bnz73
will pay to drift
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Cool useful ordering info. dump

hey all, will try and add as much useful info. here regarding my buying experience near Portland, OR. After calling around to pretty much all of the dealers in OR and WA and struggling to find an allocation in Feb., I finally found one at a dealer 45 min. away from Portland.

Timeline:
2/14 - ordered; build week 11
<started tracking often on BMW MyGarage - check out https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181156>
3/11 - entered assembly line
3/13 - dispatched from factory
3/15~ waiting at port

Specs:
6MT, HS, blue stitching, Exec Pkg, moonroof, alum pedals, wheel locks, had but removed PPF1 (going to just take it to get more fully PPF'd myself after delivery). There are extra options that you can add that aren't on the site - ask your dealer and he'll hook you up with the off-menu codes. Some interesting options are CF wing, rear diffuser, side mirrors.

I have found out that Portland cars will come through Port Hueneme, CA. Also found this useful, relevant (but outdated) thread:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1416892

Am not obsessed enough to fill out all the Bremerhaven / Hueneme routes like they did above though .

I have been following the 2020 M2C obsessively, and I believe there will be plentiful allocations for the M2C, and whoever wants one will be able to get one. There was some pent up demand in Jan. / Feb. because allocations were frozen for a period while they "switched the production lines" from MY2019 to MY2020 - but now they are coming in waves. I was reached out to by a second local dealership that they had an allocation free up recently, which I declined since I already have mine on the way. For depreciation / specialness reasons, I hope they stop producing this aberration of a car after MY2020, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go through MY2021 (through Mar. 2021) - which would mean there will likely be plenty of allocations and units available. All this is to say, you will probably be able to negotiate under MSRP later this year. However, both of my allocations were for MSRP, no ED (at least not w/ the 5% discount).

Also useful: $500 rebate if you join BMW CCA for 3 yrs (costs much less than $500). I will join so that I can do some autocross and track events at PIR.

mhanism , Project_F87 , wouldn't be surprised if our cars are all on the same boat.
Appreciate 3
CSBM52695.50
      03-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #321
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nice build and good insight. For odd reasons, I actually don't mind my car missing this next round of vessels as I won't be able to pick up my car until mid/end of May for work related items.

That said, there's two vessels headed to Bremerhaven w/ schedules to Port Hueneme.

- Liberty (2W-Global) which should arrive any hour now, and is scheduled to arrive at Port Hueneme 4/11.
- Apollon Leader (NYK Line) which arrives tomorrow and is scheduled to arrive at Port Hueneme 4/16.

While our cars can may be on either vessel, my hunch is we'll be on Apollon Leader as Liberty was actually due to port 4-5 days 3/15 and may have several cars already assigned to it from a few weeks back. We should actually find out pretty quick here. I've been calling Genius and my car has not been assigned a vessel yet, so we'll see...

I totally agree that we should see more allocations and availability of M2C's going forward. That said, I don't think we'll see F80/F82 levels of production; but rather something similar to MY17-18 where the US got about 2600-2800 cars/year. I believe MY16 and MY19 (first years of the OG and Comp models) got under 1k in total vehicles in the US. While these cars have massive appeal to us as enthusiasts (and obsessed), I don't see wide spread popularity of them to the general public like the X3-5 and 3 series. I live in the Bay Area and see about 2-5 F80/F82's daily and might see an M2 once every 2-3 weeks. When I started shopping around last fall into early this year, I was shocked that several of the So. Cal dealerships didn't have waiting lists at all.

Given my shameless obsession w/ this car (which originates from it's similarities with my first M3 love - e46 and 'the one that got away' - 1m; coupled with my disappointment with my F80 M3) once my car gets onto a vessel, all eyes will be on the MPE and hope that I'll be able to port-install or at the very least have it dealer installed before delivery.

Cheers!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:56 AM   #322
saikitjK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 completion

Quote:
Same color! I think we are all on the same boat!?
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
mhanism277.00
      03-19-2019, 01:56 AM   #323
bnz73
will pay to drift
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice build and good insight. For odd reasons, I actually don't mind my car missing this next round of vessels as I won't be able to pick up my car until mid/end of May for work related items.

That said, there's two vessels headed to Bremerhaven w/ schedules to Port Hueneme.

- Liberty (2W-Global) which should arrive any hour now, and is scheduled to arrive at Port Hueneme 4/11.
- Apollon Leader (NYK Line) which arrives tomorrow and is scheduled to arrive at Port Hueneme 4/16.

While our cars can may be on either vessel, my hunch is we'll be on Apollon Leader as Liberty was actually due to port 4-5 days 3/15 and may have several cars already assigned to it from a few weeks back. We should actually find out pretty quick here. I've been calling Genius and my car has not been assigned a vessel yet, so we'll see...

I totally agree that we should see more allocations and availability of M2C's going forward. That said, I don't think we'll see F80/F82 levels of production; but rather something similar to MY17-18 where the US got about 2600-2800 cars/year. I believe MY16 and MY19 (first years of the OG and Comp models) got under 1k in total vehicles in the US. While these cars have massive appeal to us as enthusiasts (and obsessed), I don't see wide spread popularity of them to the general public like the X3-5 and 3 series. I live in the Bay Area and see about 2-5 F80/F82's daily and might see an M2 once every 2-3 weeks. When I started shopping around last fall into early this year, I was shocked that several of the So. Cal dealerships didn't have waiting lists at all.

Given my shameless obsession w/ this car (which originates from it's similarities with my first M3 love - e46 and 'the one that got away' - 1m; coupled with my disappointment with my F80 M3) once my car gets onto a vessel, all eyes will be on the MPE and hope that I'll be able to port-install or at the very least have it dealer installed before delivery.

Cheers!
Hm, good points on Liberty vs Apollon Leader. I see that the Liberty is moored now, and it is about to be 8am Bremerhaven time - I suppose they will start loading cars on it shortly. If our VINs don't show up on the WW site in a day or two, odds are Apollon Leader will be the one.

I think you're right that the production numbers will be lower for the M2C, but not because of supply constraints, but rather to line up with demand forecasts. By May - June we may see open allocations nationwide for this car. I guess it's mind boggling for me as I'm off in my own little world, and every enthusiast / amateur car reviewer out there seems to be raving about the M2C like it's the reinvention of sliced bread. And so I believe that there's this massive latent demand for the car - but I guess I don't quite grasp how small the actual customer segment for this car is, at least intersecting with those lucky enough to have the means to spend $65k on a car + at the right timing and lifecycle to buy.

I think a factor on potentially limited demand on the M2C is the high volume of sales on the regular M2 during its uncapped production run - looking at these forums, most of the M2 folks don't seem to be willing to take the financial bath to upgrade to the M2C (although I'm sure they mostly would if it was an even trade).

I do think this car will become a classic one day - it's got that perfect storm of an end in sight for this generation of 2 series, serendipitously being forced to get a much better engine because of regulations, and really what looks to be near the last of the BMW cars that will have MT, analog gauges, and beefy petrol engines. Too bad it couldn't have a NA engine or weigh closer to 3,000 lbs... but that may be asking for too much.

Cheers! excited for us to all get our deliveries, I do hope we're on the same boat as it'll be fun to obsess over the slow ass progress of the ship together. Once this hits the Panama Canal, I will try to take screenshots of the live feed cams there
Appreciate 3
mhanism277.00
AlpsRider2857.50
      03-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #324
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
I got the call an allocation was in on February 15th, car went into production March 7th, expected completion of March 20th!
Mine was about the same: 3-1/2 weeks. I got the notice on allocation on Feb 8 and production started Mar 4, completed Mar 13.

Now at the port, but no boat assigned as of today.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #325
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh I agree - I think the M2C (F87N) will be the icon of this current generation of F-series M-cars. F80/82/87. I'll leave the M5 and X5/6M's in another class/size of car.

Similarly, I think the 1M will be more revered than the E92 M3, in the E-series era - but more to do with hyper limited production. I drove a E92 M3 recently and while the engine is incredible, you feel the size and weight of the car kind of tug and hold things back.

And of course the E46 M3 stands alone in it's era.

And if you take a peek at where BMW is headed, the next M3 will get bigger and more technology oriented with AWD - ugh. And I bet the next 2 series will pick up a lot of attributes and technology (and size) from the G20 series cars. So I'm totally with you, and a big reason why I'm so excited about this M2 as a stand-out in this current era of cars.
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 1
AlpsRider2857.50
      03-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #326
johnkitt
Rep
Drives: M235i

Moving on up.

Current M235 driver getting ready to upgrade to a M2C. Doing it right too, getting ED on June 5th!!! Have never driven a M2C, but love the (admittedly very limited time) I have been able to spend behind the wheel of the OG M2 so going on faith that in some case more really is more.

Build specs:
SO
Orange stitch on leather
Exec Pckg
DCT
Black 788's

Excited hardly begins to describe where I'm at and can't wait! Only 11 weeks from tomorrow!

Already got a good portion of my trip planned... Planning on driving some of the Alpenstrasse and Romantische Strasse with a planned drop off in Frankfurt.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #327
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkitt View Post
Moving on up.

Current M235 driver getting ready to upgrade to a M2C. Doing it right too, getting ED on June 5th!!! Have never driven a M2C, but love the (admittedly very limited time) I have been able to spend behind the wheel of the OG M2 so going on faith that in some case more really is more.

Build specs:
SO
Orange stitch on leather
Exec Pckg
DCT
Black 788's

Excited hardly begins to describe where I'm at and can't wait! Only 11 weeks from tomorrow!

Already got a good portion of my trip planned... Planning on driving some of the Alpenstrasse and Romantische Strasse with a planned drop off in Frankfurt.

wohoo !! same build (except exec pkg). i too was enamoured after driving a friends m2. i test drove a m2c but it felt underwhelming compared to og m2. maybe cause of manual, modified a bit, longer drive compared to i couldint figure out how to operate the dct, worried i might curb rash the test drive car and could not time shift gears right.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #328
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkitt View Post
Moving on up.

Build specs:
SO
Orange stitch on leather
Exec Pckg
DCT
Black 788's

My ED is 6/6 and just can't wait!

What's the status of your car? Do you have a production date yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #329
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:

call bmw genius. they will tell u exactly when your car will go into production and when it will be completed.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      03-20-2019, 05:42 AM   #330
bnz73
will pay to drift
United_States
Rep

I’m on the Liberty!
Appreciate 0