BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Just placed an order for EUD - A few questions

12-23-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

Garage List
Just placed an order for EUD - A few questions

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi All,

Appreciate the help here. Could you answer a few questions for me:

1. Is the M2C limited production? Will used values retain similiar to 1M?
2. If a dealer does not have an allocation, but places an order for you, are they full of it? Will you get the car?
3. For the spec- im going HS. Is blue or orange interior better? Have yet to see either. Wish I could go Fox Red.
4. Is apple CarPlay wireless or wired?
5. What is the annual cost of CarPlay after year 1? Leave it to BMW to charge for this feature.
6. I have an E92 M3, naturally aspirated beautiful high revving V8. Will I like this M2C car? I have yet to see one in person. Difficult to tell if the car is inferior/superior or just different. I can’t say I’ve ever had an urge to trade my car for an F80 M3/M4. The S55 always felt inferior IMO.
7. Regarding EUD, a few questions:
A. Delivery is ~MAR2019. I’m told winter tires are mandatory. What is the cost for this? Does BMW put your old tires back on and then ship the car over?
B. How long does it take to receive the car state side once your EUD is over?
C. Do people recommend EUD?

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. My dealer is proving useless to answer these questions in a timely manner.
Appreciate 1
Al1969532.50
      12-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
IcyLiquid
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT LBB M2C

Garage List
1. Is the M2C limited production? Will used values retain similiar to 1M?

BMW has confirmed that there will be at least a second model year (2020) for the M2C. Unknown if there will be a 3rd.

2. If a dealer does not have an allocation, but places an order for you, are they full of it? Will you get the car?

They are not full of it, since the order bank is a real thing, but without an allocation there are no guarantees about delivery. Even with an allocation things can slip.

3. For the spec- im going HS. Is blue or orange interior better? Have yet to see either. Wish I could go Fox Red.

Do you prefer blue, or orange?

4. Is apple CarPlay wireless or wired?

Wireless.

5. What is the annual cost of CarPlay after year 1? Leave it to BMW to charge for this feature.

$80

6. I have an E92 M3, naturally aspirated beautiful high revving V8. Will I like this M2C car? I have yet to see one in person. Difficult to tell if the car is inferior/superior or just different. I can't say I've ever had an urge to trade my car for an F80 M3/M4. The S55 always felt inferior IMO.

I don't have mine yet. Sound is totally different, power delivery is different but not as different as it would have been with the old M2.

A. Delivery is ~MAR2019. I'm told winter tires are mandatory. What is the cost for this? Does BMW put your old tires back on and then ship the car over?

You can rent winters in Germany as long as you return the car in the same city. http://www.edwintertires.com/testimonials.htm

Varies. Generally a couple of months. BMW says 6-10 weeks.

I'm doing it in May and with the exception of some people on here who seem to have not done their research, most people seem to have very positive experiences.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I just want to chime in with my thoughts on the ED experience...

PROs
- 5% off MSRP
- cheaper way to tour Europe
- bond with car and take amazing pictures
- get to drive YOUR car where it was meant to be driven (autobanh, swiss alps, nurgurgring)

CONs
- some people have been able to get 5% MSRP without the need of doing ED
- length of waiting time
- tracking the car was terrible in my experience
- fear of rock chips, parking dings, potential theft/vandalism (I was a little paranoid, I admit)
- not being able to go drive faster than 105 mph or 5.5 rpm (until break in service); this was like a big tease to me (I tried to get my service done, but things didn't work out)

Basically, knowing what I know now after my experience, I think I would've preferred to just do a normal local delivery and take my own Europe trip while waiting...assuming I was able to negotiate 5% off MSRP as well. I realize that it'll cost more, but at least I'd be able to drive a rented M2 (or better) as hard as I want right away and I wouldn't worry about the car generally speaking. And in my situation, I would've received my car about 3 months sooner. (My car was built in July and I had to wait until Sept for ED release date...then 12 days driving in Europe...then the 6-10 weeks of shipping time)

Please don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the experience very much so. It's just that I think I could've had an equally great experience by just renting a car there and receiving my car a lot sooner. (Plus, those 2 weeks there helps cut down on the wait time.)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the very helpful answers.

My dealer (as well as a few others) offered me the car 5% off with US or EUD. I am a good customer, but no better than many others.

What are your thoughts on the interior? Is the carbon fiber very cheap looking? How about the Dakota leather?

Coming from an M3, one of the parts that attracts me to modern day M cars is the mixture of luxury and performance.

I can’t help but feel your forfeiting one and compromising on the other? Perhaps it’s a great car for 58k relative to other cars? But at the end of the day, it’s a small car with a cheap interior and a play to maximize an engine before it’s retired?

Let me know how you feel! I want to make sure I am not bamboozled here! Feel free to correct me with your impressions.

Last edited by 2011M3V8; 12-23-2018 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Just order a bunch of cars in different configuration and return the ones you don't like.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011M3V8 View Post

My dealer (as well as a few others) offered me the car 5% off with US or EUD. I am a good customer, but no better than many others.

What are your thoughts on the interior? Is the carbon fiber very cheap looking? How about the Dakota leather?

Coming from an M3, one of the parts that attracts me to modern day M cars is the mixture of luxury and performance.

I can't help but feel your forfeiting one and compromising on the other? Perhaps it's a great car for 58k relative to other cars? But at the end of the day, it's a small car with a cheap interior and a play to maximize an engine before it's retired?

Let me know how you feel! I want to make sure I am not bamboozled here! Feel free to correct me with your impressions.
Most people think the carbon looks like fake plastic as it's a dry open pore carbon weave and the leather looks cheap. You can check out what the leather looks like on any 2 series, it's the same. You're not being bamboozled, there's lots of info, images, video, and similar cars you check out in person if you want to know something rather than rely on marketing or salesman.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      12-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
IAF
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I think its a personal thing.

I love the dry carbon fibre trim, to me its so much more sporty than the glossy stuff which we are starting to see everywhere. It doesn't look cheap to me.

The dakota leather isn't as good quality as nappa, not as soft, and doesn't look as premium. However, the seats are still excellent quality, and with the alcantara, and the coloured stitching and perforations, it really does look the part.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #8
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Having looked into EUD further, I’m starting to think Spartanburg delivery is a much better offer.

1. 6-10 week lead time for delivery after EUD.... 3 months of the driving season in NE gone.
2. Winter tires in EU looking to be ~1,000 for my trip alone. Able to rent a nice car for equivalent money.
3. 1,200 mile service in EU must be paid for, whereas it is free in US.
4. Can’t do much driving on winter tires/first 1,200 miles
5. Takes time out of your trip for the tires and 1,200 mile service

Anything else I’m missing here? This is starting to get hard to justify.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Having looked into EUD further, I’m starting to think Spartanburg delivery is a much better offer.

1. 6-10 week lead time for delivery after EUD.... 3 months of the driving season in NE gone.
2. Winter tires in EU looking to be ~1,000 for my trip alone. Able to rent a nice car for equivalent money.

I would go that route if I were you too. I had originally added PCD to my order, but I was told that the schedule was really full, so I decided to just have it shipped to my dealership after ED because they were going to delay me an extra month to do the PCD. If I had to trade one for the other, then I think I would've chosen PCD instead; for reasons I mentioned previously. On top of that, you mentioned an extra $1000 for winter tires along with time wasted on trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #10
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I would go that route if I were you too. I had originally added PCD to my order, but I was told that the schedule was really full, so I decided to just have it shipped to my dealership after ED because they were going to delay me an extra month to do the PCD. If I had to trade one for the other, then I think I would've chosen PCD instead; for reasons I mentioned previously. On top of that, you mentioned an extra $1000 for winter tires along with time wasted on trip.

Thanks. A dream has always been to take delivery of a car at the Welt. But perhaps the dream is more appealing than the reality.

Another plus of the US delivery is getting 1,200 miles on the car by the time I get back to Boston.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:

dealer reimburses the 1200 mile service, or BMW does, I forget.
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      12-24-2018, 01:26 AM   #12
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Hi,
I live in Switzerland...just ordered my M2C, its 4 hours from Munich and I get my car delivered at my place to have 0 miles on it.
The M2C is not a limited numbered prod as such, but not sure it will last for more than 2 years
To have a road trip in Europe especially the Alps is a life time experience also for us living here, I would recommend French and Italian mountain passes, some track like Nürburgring in Germany.
My advise plan; 1-2 weeks; you can rent a car, potentially a M2 in Germany at Sixt rent a car
Hope it heps
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #13
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Quote:

I do not have any loyalty to any car dealer or BMW. In fact this is my first BMW and I bought mine last week for 5% off MSRP with no EUD. This is not a limited version/low volume car so I'm sure there will be better discounts eventually for those who are willing to wait for better deals.

If you know of other dealers offering 5% discount off MSRP, I'm sure others looking for an M2C would be grateful for you to share once you've made your decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
Quote:

I do not have any loyalty to any car dealer or BMW. In fact this is my first BMW and I bought mine last week for 5% off MSRP with no EUD. This is not a limited version/low volume car so I'm sure there will be better discounts eventually for those who are willing to wait for better deals.

If you know of other dealers offering 5% discount off MSRP, I'm sure others looking for an M2C would be grateful for you to share once you've made your decision.
It is unlikely better discounting will be available for this model.

BMW likely won't have any incentives for it. The Corp fleet (which never applied anyways) is also gone.

I ordered both an X3 and X5 in April and received 24% off MSRP. I tried to add an M2 into the order and was told I could only get the 5% off and that was it.

The million dollar question to me is; will this retain value like a 1M or is it just a marketing play? This is an expensive car for what it is. You're getting an outgoing engine, cheap interior (no merino leather in sight, sensatec used commonly throughout the cabin), and it's very small. I also think they went overboard on the "M" badges. My M3 hardly has any.

Very much on the fence about this purchase and considering cancelling or changing.
? hockenheim_m2
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I think the 1M was fluke. BMW's, Merc's, and Audi's are not Ferrari's. You will lose money on the car, and probably at near the same percentages your M3 dropped in value. If you bet on anything else, I think you'll be disappointed. If I end up wrong on this in 5 years, I'll be a happy camper but it's a safe bet that I'm not.

The M2C isn't light, but it certainly has a more "small, connected car" feel to it than the F80 M3's I drove leading up to buying it. It's a car to buy because you WANT a smaller car, and everything that goes with it. If you're concerned that it's too small, go sit in a 240, or even take a test drive to get a feel for the size. I do know that the 240 test drive will not tell you what the M2 or M2C is like to drive, there is a pretty huge difference, but it will tell you everything you need to know about the size of the car.

If it's too small, and you're betting on it holding value in a, frankly, unrealistic way, you're probably better off waiting for something that fits your needs better (or taking advantage of the deals that can be had on the outgoing M3).

Also, it ISN'T an expensive car for what it is. There are almost no direct rivals to it, and it drives brilliantly. There are faster cars that are cheaper (Mustang, Camaro), and there are other cars that are bigger or faster for more money. But a car that drives like this, isn't a land yacht, and goes as fast as it does? Rivals are hard to find. The nearest rival is the TT-RS or the RS-3. Both of those are more expensive, with a more, uh...what's the word...controlled driving experience.

Otherwise you are looking at bigger cars and then you should be trying to decide between the M3/4, the C63, or going cheaper and just getting a Camaro or a Mustang.
Appreciate 3
      12-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
I think the 1M was fluke. BMW's, Merc's, and Audi's are not Ferrari's. You will lose money on the car, and probably at near the same percentages your M3 dropped in value. If you bet on anything else, I think you'll be disappointed. If I end up wrong on this in 5 years, I'll be a happy camper but it's a safe bet that I'm not.

The M2C isn't light, but it certainly has a more "small, connected car" feel to it than the F80 M3's I drove leading up to buying it. It's a car to buy because you WANT a smaller car, and everything that goes with it. If you're concerned that it's too small, go sit in a 240, or even take a test drive to get a feel for the size. I do know that the 240 test drive will not tell you what the M2 or M2C is like to drive, there is a pretty huge difference, but it will tell you everything you need to know about the size of the car.

If it's too small, and you're betting on it holding value in a, frankly, unrealistic way, you're probably better off waiting for something that fits your needs better (or taking advantage of the deals that can be had on the outgoing M3).

Also, it ISN'T an expensive car for what it is. There are almost no direct rivals to it, and it drives brilliantly. There are faster cars that are cheaper (Mustang, Camaro), and there are other cars that are bigger or faster for more money. But a car that drives like this, isn't a land yacht, and goes as fast as it does? Rivals are hard to find. The nearest rival is the TT-RS or the RS-3. Both of those are more expensive, with a more, uh...what's the word...controlled driving experience.

Otherwise you are looking at bigger cars and then you should be trying to decide between the M3/4, the C63, or going cheaper and just getting a Camaro or a Mustang.
In my opinion, the car to get at a similar price range would be a 991.1 C2. 62-65k for low mileage examples, sporting a manual.

Rear engine and a driving experience that is fantastic. Also nicer cabin.

718 Cayman S is also discounted to a similar price of an M2C as they are not selling
? hockenheim_m2
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
In my opinion, the car to get at a similar price range would be a 991.1 C2. 62-65k for low mileage examples, sporting a manual.

Rear engine and a driving experience that is fantastic. Also nicer cabin.

718 Cayman S is also discounted to a similar price of an M2C as they are not selling
Sorry, I don't think that used vs. new changes anything. That's the same sort of argument folk make comparing a tuned engine to a stock one (imagine a vape-bro yelling "my STi is tuned to 410 HP! That's more than your M2C's 405!" Sigh...it's the same point). A similarly used M2 would be significantly cheaper than the 991 Porsche, and probably one of the best deals you could get. If you can get discounts on 718's in your area, great for you and that's not a bad idea but I guarantee that the one Porsche dealership near me isn't giving massive discounts. A 718 Cayman S with the same equipment level is so much more expensive than an M2C that your local dealership must not have sold a car in this decade to offer discounts to that degree. Makes me kinda jealous.

You are not sold on the M2C. 60 to 65k is way too much to spend on a car that you are arguing yourself out of or coming into with unrealistic expectations. You are the only one who can sell yourself on it, or sell yourself on something else.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Hi All,

<deleted for brevity>

A. Delivery is ~MAR2019. I’m told winter tires are mandatory. What is the cost for this? Does BMW put your old tires back on and then ship the car over?
A. Winter tires are mandatory in Germany. I pick up my car on Feb 15th. There currently are NO vendors that have wheel/tire combination for rent for US spec cars. I am just doing the ED to get the 5% off. (I'm flying on miles, which I have a ton of). I will leave the car at BMW Welt not having driven more than around the showroom I suppose.
B. Depends on near which coast you reside. West coast 8-10 weeks. East coast 6-8 weeks. In between, somewhere in between.
C. Everyone that I know that has done it has had a good experience. This will be my first ED out of 6 BMW vehicles purchased.
      12-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #19
2011M3V8
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

<deleted for brevity>

A. Delivery is ~MAR2019. I'm told winter tires are mandatory. What is the cost for this? Does BMW put your old tires back on and then ship the car over?
A. Winter tires are mandatory in Germany. I pick up my car on Feb 15th. There currently are NO vendors that have wheel/tire combination for rent for US spec cars. I am just doing the ED to get the 5% off. (I'm flying on miles, which I have a ton of). I will leave the car at BMW Welt not having driven more than around the showroom I suppose.
B. Depends on near which coast you reside. West coast 8-10 weeks. East coast 6-8 weeks. In between, somewhere in between.
C. Everyone that I know that has done it has had a good experience. This will be my first ED out of 6 BMW vehicles purchased.
There are no winter tires for rent ? Does a company have a winter wheel and tire service?
? hockenheim_m2
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #20
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post

Man, I just want to say: What a well written, rational, logical explanation. And you've done it so politely too. This forum has a lot of... strident voices to say the least. It's nice to see when somebody can present the information in such a positive manner. Thank you.
Appreciate 2
      12-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #21
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
Quote:

It is unlikely better discounting will be available for this model.

BMW likely won't have any incentives for it. The Corp fleet (which never applied anyways) is also gone.

I ordered both an X3 and X5 in April and received 24% off MSRP. I tried to add an M2 into the order and was told I could only get the 5% off and that was it.

The million dollar question to me is; will this retain value like a 1M or is it just a marketing play? This is an expensive car for what it is. You're getting an outgoing engine, cheap interior (no merino leather in sight, sensatec used commonly throughout the cabin), and it's very small. I also think they went overboard on the "M" badges. My M3 hardly has any.

Very much on the fence about this purchase and considering cancelling or changing.
The answer is no, it will not retain value the 1m. Your best hope would be two year only run, buy it in MT, and it's the last MT transmission car they make....

but it won't be, they will have MT on the next gen M3 and M4 and likely M2 so it won't be a 1M

Now I can feel you not being so sure after reading this.

I'll say again, this is not a 1M, this car is not being made in limited numbers and isn't a last of anything, except the DCT, which almost no one cares.

I know you're still wondering but will this retain value the 1M?

NO!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 09:31 AM   #22
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Quote:
There are no winter tires for rent ? Does a company have a winter wheel and tire service?
BMW ED suggests one company, which does NOT currently have wheels and tires for rent. He went one step further and told me that none of his competitors have them available either. If you want to have the full ED drive experience, I suggest you schedule delivery for after April 15th.
bobert858.50