BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Non-carbon fiber exterior parts?

12-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
cardstocks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Non-carbon fiber exterior parts?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Are there any "normal" plastic exterior accessories available for the M2C? Something like a normal, plastic trunk lip appeals to me.

I might be in the extreme minority here but I don't love the look of carbon fiber exterior parts especially for their elevated cost.

Everywhere I look only has carbon fiber bits for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardstocks View Post
Are there any "normal" plastic exterior accessories available for the M2C? Something like a normal, plastic trunk lip appeals to me.

I might be in the extreme minority here but I don't love the look of carbon fiber exterior parts especially for their elevated cost.

Everywhere I look only has carbon fiber bits for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars...
LOL I'm in the same boat, I just get sick of seeing carbon fiber on the outside of cars. I'd prefer some just gloss black or paint matched stuff as well
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
b18flip
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i xdrive

Thought I was the only one as well! Currently waiting on the lightweight brand front splitter to be more available/come down in price plus a rear diffuser to match it.
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      12-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
ONLYA6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M '19 M2C

Bimmermasterpieces has a slightly different Plastic diffuser. That's the only thing I've found so far.
      12-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Any CF piece can be painted to match body colour if desired. IMO, shame to hide the weave, but if you personally prefer body colour match then that's your call. This will maintain the rigidity and lightweight of the CF, but won't do much for reducing the overall price unfortunately - in fact a proper paint job will add several hundred $s.

Another option is to go with "knock off" CF copies, which are less expensive than genuine name brand pieces:

i) upside is that imperfections in the weave can likely be covered/hidden by the paint
ii) downside is that the paint won't solve any fitment issues that might be present

...both common to knock off CF parts).

Here is an example of painted CF (my engine cover). This pic also shows some coloured CF (the blue CF intake) which is another option to consider.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
cardstocks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Any CF piece can be painted to match body colour if desired. IMO, shame to hide the weave, but if you personally prefer body colour match then that's your call. This will maintain the rigidity and lightweight of the CF, but won't do much for reducing the overall price unfortunately - in fact a proper paint job will add several hundred $s.

Another option is to go with "knock off" CF copies, which are less expensive than genuine name brand pieces:

i) upside is that imperfections in the weave can likely be covered/hidden by the paint
ii) downside is that the paint won't solve any fitment issues that might be present

...both common to knock off CF parts).

Here is an example of painted CF (my engine cover). This pic also shows some coloured CF (the blue CF intake) which is another option to consider.
Good points and I agree, I'm not looking to paint over carbon fiber, especially after paying through the nose for it hahaha.

Something like this is all I want: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...er-51192450138
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Bloodynine
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I’m in the same minority! I’ve been looking for a gloss black rear diffuser which is a little more aggressive than the stock one (like the m performance version) but can’t find anything.

I think carbon does look good but once you start getting pieces they look out of place until you get the full kit then it costs a fortune and your insurance costs more for the privilege!

I think this car looks great (and aggressive) as it is apart from the plastic diffuser and the ball bag exhaust!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodynine View Post

I think carbon does look good but once you start getting pieces they look out of place until you get the full kit then it costs a fortune and your insurance costs more for the privilege!
Wait, what? Why would insurance go up due to carbon fiber bits? Do people insure them, or raise the value of the insured asset with them installed?
      12-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Quote:

Wait, what? Why would insurance go up due to carbon fiber bits? Do people insure them, or raise the value of the insured asset with them installed?
Either that or it changes the risk profile of the car as it increases the chances of it being stolen for parts or vandalised.
      12-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #10
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Either that or it changes the risk profile of the car as it increases the chances of it being stolen for parts or vandalised.
Can say I've never seen insurance rates go up due to modifications, particularly strictly cosmetic ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Bloodynine
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Yep in the UK if you don’t state all your modifications then the insurance companies can try to get out of paying you in the event of an accident and if you do state them they usually increase your premium...:-(

In the insurance companies opinion (as MR RIZK posted) they view the car as more desirable to steal so increase the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep in the UK if you don’t state all your modifications then the insurance companies can try to get out of paying you in the event of an accident and if you do state them they usually increase your premium...:-(

In the insurance companies opinion (as MR RIZK posted) they view the car as more desirable to steal so increase the price.
That's insane. Glad we do not have that here! (though we do have some of the highest insurance premiums in the US)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
cardstocks
Private
Rep

Quote:

That's odd, you'd think they'd have to restore your car back to OEM in the event of an accident if it's insured. All the fancy stuff you put on after, I would think, would be your responsibility, unless you're also paying for that explicitly.

Insurance is weird haha
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Lol damn man your insurance must be garbage.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #15
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
Lol damn man your insurance must be garbage.
Sounds like it's a non-US thing.
      12-30-2018, 09:28 PM   #16
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Sounds like it's a non-US thing.
man didn't notice that part but that sounds horrendous.

Stealing these cars seems like huge fail too. I thought stealing cars was a thing of the 90s? These have a million electronics + tracking
Appreciate 0