BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Active Autowerke | M2 Track Day Results and Review

05-15-2016, 02:28 AM   #45
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

uyù667oì88889
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #46
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Based on this information: I strongly recommend any driver beyond novice level upgrade their pads on an M2.
I realize that you're probably suggesting that a novice could get by on the OEM pads because they're probably not braking late enough to overwhelm the OEM pads, but wouldn't it be prudent for pretty much anyone who is going to track their M2 to upgrade the pads? Seems like good advice for just about everyone headed to the track.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #47
David@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono2112 View Post
Thanks! That's good information. If I were getting a new car I might would get the M2 which is only a few thousand dollars over a loaded m235i...except you can't find a M2 and would need to pay a few thousand, thousand extra to the dealer. Crisp turn in with the M4 suspension and more power from the engine makes the M2 a capital M car. The one thing I like most about my m235i is the adjustable suspension. It really works. Comfort is comfort and sport is sporty. Perfect as its our daily driver. I still can't wait to learn at some HPDE courses though. Maybe a capital M car will be next.
Great insight, thanks again.
The M2 doesn't have the luxury of adaptive suspension but that's ok. It's more sporty than comfortable which fits the target market IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmpassion View Post
Lag in DCT cars upshifting can be nearly zero as the DCT does change gears under load (and keeping turbo boost). This is (technically, not emotionally) an advantage over 6MT cars and one good reason to combine DCT (or auto shifters) with turbo motors. Second advantage of the BMW DCT is the shorter gearing in first, second and third gear. First gear is even shorter than in M235i with A8 gear box and this leads to deliver/develop turbo boost very quickly from a stand still even without launch control.
The DCT cars will be faster, no doubt. The extra driver involvement just makes me biased towards the manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_root View Post
Nice driving!

I'll be out there with PDG at Sebring in June as well. Great group, cool low key vibe. Hopefully clear weather.

Bringing two friends. One in a Nissan R32 and the other in a Camaro ZL1. I'm be in the F82. Should be a good matchup.
Thank you! That's a great group of cars, should be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Haha, I played Sports Car GT on PC. It was the first game I used a FFB wheel with. Sim racing has come a long way, as have automobiles. The M2 sounds incredible, and at a great price point.
If you plan on buying it it's great. However the lease residual right now is horrible lol.

Quote:
I'd also like to compliment you on going balls out in to T17. That's commitment.
Thanks! I'm very comfortable at Sebring since it's been my home track for as long as I've been driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
For front axle, absolutely.

I'm Not sure if COTA is faster or not than Sebring , but OP was only able to limp his car through a day at Sebring by not running full sessions. 1M Tex runs in our top run group ( Adv+ ) and also experienced fade at MSR.

Franklin Joseph is an instructor and is already going for fronts I believe.

It's my personal opinion that BMW AG realizes that the OE pads for the M2 are insufficient for the likes of even mere press car drivers to drive on at the track. It seems to me that pretty much Every press invent involving the M2 driving on a track has had two absolutes.

1- " M performance " brake pads
2- DCT - not manual

I don't think either of these are by accident.

In the past, I also have never heard it specifically stated at a press intro that an M car was equipped with non OE equipment.

Based on this information: I strongly recommend any driver beyond novice level upgrade their pads on an M2.
Agreed, but I love the manual
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #48
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipnoob86 View Post
uyù667oì88889
Um, sure?

Quote:
I realize that you're probably suggesting that a novice could get by on the OEM pads because they're probably not braking late enough to overwhelm the OEM pads, but wouldn't it be prudent for pretty much anyone who is going to track their M2 to upgrade the pads? Seems like good advice for just about everyone headed to the track.
I think he means that a novice driver could probably get away with stock pads and not have to worry about killing them. Advanced drivers may have their weekend ended early if they don't swap pads.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #49
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

We had a great weekend at Homestead with the M2! Unfortunately the only video I have is pretty much unwatchable. I do have some stills that I will post once I get them from the track photographer.

The RS29 pads were amazing. They had excellent modulation and zero fade after a full 25 minute session. The braking at Homestead isn't as extreme as Sebring but even with high track temps and full 25 min sessions they showed no signs of fading or giving up at all.

After the first session the front tires were about done. The edges of the PSS's were pretty much bald and I was needing to trail brake in to most of the slower turns to get the car to rotate at all. Regardless, we had a great day at the track and the M2 continued to perform!

EDIT: Pagid RS29 pads in M2/3/4 fitment are now available on our website!

Last edited by David@ActiveAutowerke; 05-16-2016 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #50
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Fantastic thoughts. Thank you for sharing!
      05-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #51
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We had a great weekend at Homestead with the M2! Unfortunately the only video I have is pretty much unwatchable. I do have some stills that I will post once I get them from the track photographer.

The RS29 pads were amazing. They had excellent modulation and zero fade after a full 25 minute session. The braking at Homestead isn't as extreme as Sebring but even with high track temps and full 25 min sessions they showed no signs of fading or giving up at all.

After the first session the front tires were about done. The edges of the PSS's were pretty much bald and I was needing to trail brake in to most of the slower turns to get the car to rotate at all. Regardless, we had a great day at the track and the M2 continued to perform!

EDIT: Pagid RS29 pads in M2/3/4 fitment are now available on our website!
Are the RS 29s street-able at all? Or are they too loud or take too long to get heated up properly to work?
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #52
David@ActiveAutowerke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Fantastic thoughts. Thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Are the RS 29s street-able at all? Or are they too loud or take too long to get heated up properly to work?
Personally I think they're a bit too loud. That said, we've been street driving them for a few days now to try and clean the rotors off and they still stop well enough without heat.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #53
SGMDream
I Wanna Go Fast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Great write up, sounds and looks like a lot of fun and a very well done car from BMW.

Someday.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2017, 07:26 AM   #54
cab33
Rep
Drives: 2009 Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ActiveAutowerke View Post

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'm not the best writer/reviewer but I can definitely comment on any specific questions or concerns! I will update the thread with more still shots as they become available.

EDIT: In the very last clip you can hear the exhaust note exiting turn 7... it sounds so good for a stock car.

Did you have any overheating/power cutting issues in the stock form?
Appreciate 0