BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Less grabby pads

09-28-2023, 05:12 PM   #1
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Less grabby pads

Greetings, does anyone have advice on brake pads that are not as grabby as stock.

Car is driven on the street most of the time,, so i dont need track oriented pad, just something that doesnt have that initial grab.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 07:44 PM   #2
VicF87OG
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 M2 N55  [9.50]
I found the stock brakes on my OG M2
We’re not grabby enaugh 😂

EBC brake pads are great
Lots of choice
Stop Tech
Not bad for the money
I
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 07:51 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in München View Post
Greetings, does anyone have advice on brake pads that are not as grabby as stock.

Car is driven on the street most of the time,, so i dont need track oriented pad, just something that doesnt have that initial grab.

Thanks.

The CarboTech 1521 is your pad, without question.

They are a linear pad, as opposed to the crappy progressive stock pad.

They dust 80% less, are completely noiseless (just make sure to install the stock rear shims, front shims are not needed), and will double the life of your rotors.

They also require no bed-in, just drive easy on them for 300 street miles and you're good to go.

Accept no substitute.

They prefer to deal over the phone.

https://ctbrakes.com/choosingcompounds/
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      09-29-2023, 09:09 AM   #4
Lost in München
Private
Rep

Thanks for the answers, i will try to find carbotech in europe.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 09:14 AM   #5
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the answers, i will try to find carbotech in europe.
The 2NH pads are a bit heavy, but worth the extra shipping price. If they won't ship to you, let me know, I'll ship them for you, I ship overseas weekly.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 09:29 AM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
The 2NH pads are a bit heavy, but worth the extra shipping price. If they won't ship to you, let me know, I'll ship them for you, I ship overseas weekly.
I'm probably going to buy a set soon and they are local to me if I need to pick up an extra set while there. It I'm still a few weeks out. Then will probably get lazy and ride with the xp12s for a bit
      09-29-2023, 10:57 AM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm probably going to buy a set soon and they are local to me if I need to pick up an extra set while there. It I'm still a few weeks out. Then will probably get lazy and ride with the xp12s for a bit
That's awesome. Maybe they'll give you a deal on 2 sets, if the OP wants them.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 01:37 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I'll echo the recommendation for Carbotech 1521's.

Most of the driving in my M2c is daily-driver type driving. This isn't all that uncommon, but the 2NH brakes are really not a good choice for a car that's not gonna get driven hard/braked hard on a frequent basis. At 8k miles my rotors seemed to be warped - though in doing research I came to the conclusion that this sensation was being caused by pad residue on the rotors. BMW replaced the front pads/rotors as a "goodwill" job. 4k miles later, same problem with the new ones. By now it was clear what was going on.

So, after much research, I went with 1521's. MUCH happier with these pads for MY application. They are not a track pad - Carbotech warns you - but definitely are an excellent street pad. Side benefit is they are much cleaner. No more issues since. They've now been on the car for about 16k miles.
///MPhatic13862.50
chris7197334.00
      09-29-2023, 05:19 PM   #9
Lost in München
Private
Rep

I have standard (blue brakes).
Thanks for the offers, but i would like to find something that i can buy in EU.
If i don't find carbotech, are there any alternatives? ferodo, pagid?
I assume that any of toose pads will have more stopping power, my main concern is initail bite.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:27 PM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I assume that any of toose pads will have more stopping power, my main concern is initail bite.

Thanks
The fact that you have a "Competition" threw us, as all US-spec Comp's have the big 2NH package.
If your car is street only then there is an even BETTER pad for the blue brakes, and that's the Akebono's (1880 front, 1656 rear). These pads dust like 90% less, the dust is grey instead of orange, they will make your rotors damn near immortal, and they have a much better/linear feel vs the stock pad.

However, they are NOT meant for even light HPDE's, they are a street pad only. Hard stops are fine, but multiple hard stops over and over for 20 minutes isn't.

The Akebono's were the best street pad I've ever had on any car, even better than the CarboTech 1521's.
Appreciate 2
      09-29-2023, 11:01 PM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks
If you have the blue brakes (same as M3/4 base brakes), get the EBC Red pads. DP32130C & DP32133C. They're excellent street pads (and like most street pads, don't try to track with them).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
chris7197334.00
      09-30-2023, 12:02 AM   #12
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Bit of oil on the disc face?
I went EBC yellow stuff, don't know if less grabby..maybe you'd want their red stuff which is like oem but ceramic so advantage is low dust.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      09-30-2023, 04:15 PM   #13
Lost in München
Private
Rep

I now live in europe, and forgot to mention that my comp has regular brakes. Sorry.
Thanks for all the great answers.

I will try akebono or ebc
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 08:15 AM   #14
SchnellerM2C
Private
Rep
Drives: M2c, s54E30, Z3MCoupe,

I also found the stock brakes to be sensitive & "grabby" at slow speeds.
Additionally they threw a lot of brake dust & squealed quite a bit.

I installed a set of HWAK Ceramic brake pads front & rear Part #'s: (Front - HB828Z.760 Rear - HB193Z.670)

All of the issues mentioned above were resolved.
The only caveat is that on the rear pads there is no provision for the wear sensor, which for me wasn't a big deal as I just tied it off to the side.

BTW, These pads are available from AMAZON

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      10-01-2023, 08:22 AM   #15
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
If you have the blue brakes (same as M3/4 base brakes), get the EBC Red pads. DP32130C & DP32133C. They're excellent street pads (and like most street pads, don't try to track with them).
I second this, if the Akebono's aren't available. I've had Redstuff's on a few of my cars in the past, and they're great, but a notch below the Akebono's IMO.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      10-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #16
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Porterfield R4-S. Less initial bite and more linear.

https://hpautosport.com/product/port...s-f87-m2-comp/
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      11-10-2023, 01:36 PM   #17
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Rather than start another brake pad thread, I figured I'd ask for recommendations for my situation in an existing one. And since this is talking about the blue brakes it seems like as good a place as any...

I have an OG M2 that's mostly street driven, including daily city/highway, plus some spirited runs through the mountains of MD, VA, and WV. I also do the occasional auto-x. I'd love to get less dust and less rotor wear, but I don't really have a problem with the feel of the stock brakes. If another pad is going to be less grabby, great, but it's not a deciding factor. I'd also love to not worry about swapping pads for auto-x, but it's potentially an option. If I decide to do any track time I'd definitely be swapping so that's not an issue for these pads.

From what I've read, Akebono and Carbotech both seem close, but would either be appropriate for auto-x? FWIW we don't have long, fast courses around here like they do in, say, Texas. We're talking probably 60mph and around a minute, max. I also saw someone make the comment that they wouldn't run Akebonos for canyon runs. I've never driven in CA so can't make a direct comparison, but I definitely wouldn't want to be lacking confidence in my brakes when driving the mountain roads out here. I also drive the car in cold (but not snowy/salty) conditions, so cold/rain performance is important. I've seen the Porterfield R4-S mentioned and those seem like they might be a good option, but are they 2NH only? I didn't see a set listed for OG brakes.

Finally, given my use case, thoughts on brake fluid? SRF? I'm due to change mine, which has prompted me to look into just refreshing the brakes overall.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:39 PM   #18
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Quote:
The CarboTech 1521 is your pad, without question.

They are a linear pad, as opposed to the crappy progressive stock pad.

They dust 80% less, are completely noiseless (just make sure to install the stock rear shims, front shims are not needed), and will double the life of your rotors.

They also require no bed-in, just drive easy on them for 300 street miles and you're good to go.

Accept no substitute.

They prefer to deal over the phone.

https://ctbrakes.com/choosingcompounds/
How does G-loc compare to the Carbotech? I think they are similar
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 05:32 PM   #19
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeater View Post
How does G-loc compare to the Carbotech? I think they are similar
The same product made in the same factory just painted a different color. The sons had a falling out with their father and split-off but they have some kind of sharing arrangement.
Appreciate 2
///MPhatic13862.50
///M TOWN16566.50
      11-10-2023, 06:09 PM   #20
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The same product made in the same factory just painted a different color. The sons had a falling out with their father and split-off but they have some kind of sharing arrangement.
This is what I read as well, so I called them to find out. At first they (CarboTech) denied any association whatsoever, so I had a tech call me back.
He admitted that they were related, but maintained that per the agreement the exact materials had to be different by a certain percentage.

1. I don't think we can know more than that.
2. I don't think it matters.

I have had CarboTech pads on my M2, and currently have G-Loc pads on my Exige and all I can say for sure is that the G-Loc GS1 pads dust a bit less, and the dust is a bit different in color. The 1521's increase in dust could be just because the M2 is heavier, creating more dust, which is plausible.

I preferred the Akebono pads to BOTH of them, for the street.

In terms of aggression it looks like this...

1. CarboTech 1521 (most aggressive)
2. G-Loc GS1 (less aggressive, but still similar)
3. Akebono (much less dust, much less aggressive, best street pad IMO)

Unfortunately, the Akebono pad will NEVER be made for the 2NH because their machine is incapable of handling a pad of that size (I literally called and asked).
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
This is what I read as well, so I called them to find out. At first they (CarboTech) denied any association whatsoever, so I had a tech call me back.
He admitted that they were related, but maintained that per the agreement the exact materials had to be different by a certain percentage.

1. I don't think we can know more than that.
2. I don't think it matters.

I have had CarboTech pads on my M2, and currently have G-Loc pads on my Exige and all I can say for sure is that the G-Loc GS1 pads dust a bit less, and the dust is a bit different in color. The 1521's increase in dust could be just because the M2 is heavier, creating more dust, which is plausible.

I preferred the Akebono pads to BOTH of them, for the street.

In terms of aggression it looks like this...

1. CarboTech 1521 (most aggressive)
2. G-Loc GS1 (less aggressive, but still similar)
3. Akebono (much less dust, much less aggressive, best street pad IMO)

Unfortunately, the Akebono pad will NEVER be made for the 2NH because their machine is incapable of handling a pad of that size (I literally called and asked).
Funny because I also emailed Akebono and got the same response a couple years ago. You would think they would update their tooling since brakes aren't trending any smaller. Oh well.

I was told by some guys on Rennlist and Nasioc that they were exactly the same but who knows. Honestly the way the backing plates etc. are finished make me think they are a lazy company and probably the same. Could also be your Exige pads are just from an older run and they tweaked the material. I was sent the wrong rear pads at first and the box was really old looking compared to the fronts. Who knows how old their stock of certain shapes are. They have been selling the same line of pads for almost 20 years now.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 06:48 PM   #22
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I wouldn't buy from GLOC. Their customer support (which ended up being their president) was really lacking and took them over a month to get me the correct pads after they sent me the wrong ones.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0