BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Coilovers or Wheels?

08-11-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Coilovers or Wheels?

Hey Folks,

So, trying to prioritize upgrades here and determining what will make the most sense. I have an M2 with some minor power mods (no tune) and currently deciding if I want to spend money on coilovers or on 18-inch wheels. Hoping these can make daily driving more comfortable, improve the look of the car, and ultimately tackle twisty/tracks better. I will likely need to get new tires in the next few months for the stock 19s anyways, so luckily the timing is good. Here are my choices:

Coilovers
I'm not particularly interested in getting super fancy, multi-adjustable coils if I don't have to, but if there is a recommended path to go I will move that route. I am confident in there ability to improve driving at the limit, but the daily driving part is what I'm unsure about.

H&R Street Coilovers ($1700) - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-...MaAo8PEALw_wcB

M Performance Coilovers ($2700) - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/33502413033/

18inch 513M Wheels
There is a pretty good deal on some 513M wheels near me that I'd be interested in. I'd probably pair these with some 40 sidewall tires and some lowering springs to fill the gap a bit. These will definitely be a switch up overall look wise, but not entirely sure how big of a difference a 40 sidewall will make generally to ride comfort or track use (+how quickly lowering springs are going to kill my stock shocks - which already have 30K miles).

Looking for any insight since I'm pretty much stuck at a point of indecision.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
rogeroger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235i, 2002

“Hoping these can make daily driving more comfortable, improve the look of the car, and ultimately tackle twisty/tracks better”

This here to me points towards coilovers. The M Performance c/o would do nicely. A difference you’d feel daily by driving the car but also see when you’re outside of the car since it’s lowered.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 07:14 PM   #3
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: old: E90 335i E46 M3 new: M2C

varooshgog - If it will help your decision the M Performance C/Os are closer to $2200 from getBMWparts.com: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...it-33502413033
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 07:51 PM   #4
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteM2C View Post
varooshgog - If it will help your decision the M Performance C/Os are closer to $2200 from getBMWparts.com: https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...it-33502413033
This does help a bit, but what concerns me are the comments I’ve read that the MPC are actually stiffer than stock. Would it really help all that much for daily driving or would it only really be for spirited driving? Ideally, I would like to have something that is “set and forget” more or less, and doesn’t require me to make adjustments for different activities (if that makes sense).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 09:35 PM   #5
rogeroger
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235i, 2002

The MPC can be more comfortable than stock and perform well. Set it and forget it. From what I’ve read, it’s a noticeable improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 07:58 AM   #6
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varooshgog View Post
This does help a bit, but what concerns me are the comments I’ve read that the MPC are actually stiffer than stock. Would it really help all that much for daily driving or would it only really be for spirited driving? Ideally, I would like to have something that is “set and forget” more or less, and doesn’t require me to make adjustments for different activities (if that makes sense).
I've had the M Performance C/Os on my M2C. When set to BMW's recommended compression and compression, they are stiffer than stock. Most of the stiffness was a function of the stiffer springs; there's no getting around that. However the better dampening does make the car feel more composed and the term used by many is "less crashy" when you hit bumps or imperfections on the road. If are looking for a set it and forget it setup, have you considered lowering springs like Eibach w/ Bilstein B6 struts/ shocks? I would lean towards this set up over the H&R kit personally.
Appreciate 1
drp087233.00
      08-12-2023, 12:29 PM   #7
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteM2C View Post
I've had the M Performance C/Os on my M2C. When set to BMW's recommended compression and compression, they are stiffer than stock. Most of the stiffness was a function of the stiffer springs; there's no getting around that. However the better dampening does make the car feel more composed and the term used by many is "less crashy" when you hit bumps or imperfections on the road. If are looking for a set it and forget it setup, have you considered lowering springs like Eibach w/ Bilstein B6 struts/ shocks? I would lean towards this set up over the H&R kit personally.
Hmm, for the Bilstein + Eibach setup, would it just be these two parts then:

Struts: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...BoCs-UQAvD_BwE

Springs: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...gs-BMW-M2.html

Would you recommend getting anything else if I go down this route part wise (new bump stops, etc.)? Would other lowering springs work better here like Swift springs, H&R, etc?

Do you think this setup would perform better than the H&R coils or is this just a more cost effective approach?

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate any insight you can give.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 09:30 PM   #8
AlpinewhiteM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, for the Bilstein + Eibach setup, would it just be these two parts then:

Struts: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...BoCs-UQAvD_BwE

Springs: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...gs-BMW-M2.html

Would you recommend getting anything else if I go down this route part wise (new bump stops, etc.)? Would other lowering springs work better here like Swift springs, H&R, etc?

Do you think this setup would perform better than the H&R coils or is this just a more cost effective approach?

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate any insight you can give.
I don't have any experience with H&R or Swift Springs so I can't comment on whether they are better than Eibach Pro-Kits. I came across this thread before when I was looking into suspension for my car; useful info about Eibach/ Bilstein B6: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=eibach
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #9
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

I got coilovers before wheels, debated between the KWV3 and MPS, got the KWV3's for more height adjustability, but really did not need it. I saw only moderate improvements on comfort, but handling and stability in high speeds were MUCH better. I think the MPS's or the Bilstein's were a little more comfort oriented.

Also if you go to 18's don't you need to get new brakes?
      08-14-2023, 06:31 AM   #10
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

If you want something that is going to improve performance hands down coilovers. No reason to change wheels for street car unless to look different.

The only performance reason to pick up 18s is for track duty. Better tire selection and can rotate as a square setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:27 AM   #11
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

varooshgog - see that you are in Austin - if you are ever in the North San Antonio area I can take you for a ride in our M2 with our custom Nitron R1 suspension on it. Can also show you various 18s & 19s on this platform. 18s can/should have a bit of improvement in ride quality but the best results will typically come from a good suspension upgrade. Dollar for dollar I believe suspension is the best money spent on this platform as the oem setup leave a lot to be desired in terms of harshness and performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 10:36 AM   #12
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeroger View Post
The MPC can be more comfortable than stock and perform well. Set it and forget it. From what I’ve read, it’s a noticeable improvement.
^^ +1

I owned the M2 w/~17K on stock suspension, which I would describe as jarring.

When I purchased the M2C, I had the dealer install the MPC. They are much better and I would highly recommend them.

If installing another brand make sure to research them well. I know on the E36M3 the recommended H&R solution was very harsh and more for track or autocross.

As for wheels, why would you want 18" unless tracking? I know folks say they are an advantage for rotating but who cares. Just replace the rears twice as often.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 11:47 AM   #13
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
varooshgog - see that you are in Austin - if you are ever in the North San Antonio area I can take you for a ride in our M2 with our custom Nitron R1 suspension on it. Can also show you various 18s & 19s on this platform. 18s can/should have a bit of improvement in ride quality but the best results will typically come from a good suspension upgrade. Dollar for dollar I believe suspension is the best money spent on this platform as the oem setup leave a lot to be desired in terms of harshness and performance.
OP this would be worth your trip. From how your post is worded this would be time well spent to help your prioritization. "Ride" is highly subjective.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      08-14-2023, 03:48 PM   #14
varooshgog
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Might take you up on that offer. Will DM you to get your availability and make the trek down there one of these weeks

omasou I do want to do some more track days with the M2. I typically wanted to move to 18s since they are lighter, but the 40 sidewall tires would typically negate that in most cases (also, sport tire sizing with 255/40 & 275/40 is tough). But yea, I think I am leaning more towards coilovers since I will get more tangible benefit from them (also, if its the MPC, may actually help in resale value down the line).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 08:14 PM   #15
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Might take you up on that offer. Will DM you to get your availability and make the trek down there one of these weeks

omasou I do want to do some more track days with the M2. I typically wanted to move to 18s since they are lighter, but the 40 sidewall tires would typically negate that in most cases (also, sport tire sizing with 255/40 & 275/40 is tough). But yea, I think I am leaning more towards coilovers since I will get more tangible benefit from them (also, if its the MPC, may actually help in resale value down the line).
Honestly that is why we built our latest M2 - to be able to show people exactly what the M2 is capable of while still being an excellent daily and offering great street/road manners. Same suspension on this car as was on the other M2 that we first set the fastest lap at COTA for an F8x in. Also can help with getting into more track days as well - that's our first love here
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 10:03 AM   #16
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't get wrap around the axel about it. I'd get some Michelin Cups or whatever is available, if you're ability is at a level where you can decern the difference and call it a day. If you cannot, then I would stick w/quality summer tires b/c they have a greater margin of safety, e.g. between traction and letting go.

IMHO only track rats care about 18" tires b/c it gives them more tire choices and allows them save a few bucks.

Last edited by omasou; 08-15-2023 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:47 PM   #17
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Suspension is pretty good. I'd get wheels. The stocks are heavy and you can get wider wheels and more tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 12:31 PM   #18
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Dollar for dollar I believe suspension is the best money spent on this platform as the oem setup leave a lot to be desired in terms of harshness and performance.
+1
Appreciate 0