M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Less grabby pads

11-10-2023, 06:49 PM   #23
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Funny because I also emailed Akebono and got the same response a couple years ago. You would think they would update their tooling since brakes aren't trending any smaller. Oh well.

I was told by some guys on Rennlist and Nasioc that they were exactly the same but who knows. Honestly the way the backing plates etc. are finished make me think they are a lazy company and probably the same. Could also be your Exige pads are just from an older run and they tweaked the material. I was sent the wrong rear pads at first and the box was really old looking compared to the fronts. Who knows how old their stock of certain shapes are. They have been selling the same line of pads for almost 20 years now.
Yeah, I mean, that could very well all be true. Not the best presentation on their stuff for sure.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-14-2023, 12:41 PM   #24
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
Rather than start another brake pad thread, I figured I'd ask for recommendations for my situation in an existing one. And since this is talking about the blue brakes it seems like as good a place as any...

I have an OG M2 that's mostly street driven, including daily city/highway, plus some spirited runs through the mountains of MD, VA, and WV. I also do the occasional auto-x. I'd love to get less dust and less rotor wear, but I don't really have a problem with the feel of the stock brakes. If another pad is going to be less grabby, great, but it's not a deciding factor. I'd also love to not worry about swapping pads for auto-x, but it's potentially an option. If I decide to do any track time I'd definitely be swapping so that's not an issue for these pads.

From what I've read, Akebono and Carbotech both seem close, but would either be appropriate for auto-x? FWIW we don't have long, fast courses around here like they do in, say, Texas. We're talking probably 60mph and around a minute, max. I also saw someone make the comment that they wouldn't run Akebonos for canyon runs. I've never driven in CA so can't make a direct comparison, but I definitely wouldn't want to be lacking confidence in my brakes when driving the mountain roads out here. I also drive the car in cold (but not snowy/salty) conditions, so cold/rain performance is important. I've seen the Porterfield R4-S mentioned and those seem like they might be a good option, but are they 2NH only? I didn't see a set listed for OG brakes.

Finally, given my use case, thoughts on brake fluid? SRF? I'm due to change mine, which has prompted me to look into just refreshing the brakes overall.

Thanks all!
Apologies for quoting my own post here, but does anyone have any thoughts on the best pad for my application? I'm happy to get advice elsewhere, but I'd love to hear from the folks actually driving the same car.

And for the TL/DR on the above - I'm basically looking for a lower dust, everything-but-the-track pad.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 11:25 AM   #25
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Quote:
Apologies for quoting my own post here, but does anyone have any thoughts on the best pad for my application? I'm happy to get advice elsewhere, but I'd love to hear from the folks actually driving the same car.

And for the TL/DR on the above - I'm basically looking for a lower dust, everything-but-the-track pad.
Carbotech makes several levels of pads depending on use. They have a set ment for autoX. I think that is your best bet.
Appreciate 1
mssVT98141.50
      11-16-2023, 09:56 AM   #26
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Carbotech AX6 is their autocross pad. Not sure how it would work on this car since there’s no reports I can find. The option I would look into other than that are Endless MX72 or MX72+ maybe. For fluid I would stick with OEM or similar because it’s a DOT4 LV fluid and helps ABS actuate better. If you’re not tracking hard I doubt OE brake fluid is a problem.
Appreciate 1
mssVT98141.50
      04-23-2024, 04:31 PM   #27
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Finally ordered my Carbotech 1521 pads. I ordered direct from carbotech since they are local. Their customer service is great. Knowledgeable and they call you after you submit the order form. CCA member discount. Just shy of $500 for F/R. Then add tax and shipping. I'm super busy lately so I had them shipped even though I'm in Charlotte. I'll in I think they are $530 direct from carbotech. Placed order at 3pm and received notification that they will be delivered tomorrow. They must be becoming a hot item because they thought they might have been out of them. We should have tried for a group buy!
Appreciate 1
MSH_121.50
      04-24-2024, 07:10 PM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Soooo nice having quiet brakes again. I miss the bite of the XP12s, but it's not worth the noise running them on the street. Swapping pads only takes a couple of hours when going at a snails pace to set everything up and casually roam about the garage