BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Which coilover for the M2 Comp?

09-17-2023, 03:23 AM   #1
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 comp

Which coilover for the M2 Comp?

Hi all,

So I'm in the UK and mainly use my car on the road for fun, i will be getting back into track days and sprints next year. The car is still 70% road fun. The roads are rough, bumpy and undulating.

I had Ohlins with 90/190 spring rates. When on it the chassis control was really good. Loved the balance. They were just too firm, and knocking so i sent them off for warranty repairs and im 6 weeks in and there still not here. I was speaking to Harold at HP and thinking refit them with 140 or 160NM rear spring.

I fitted M Performance Coilovers and yes they are are more compliant on recommended settings and whilst compliant the car rolls, the rear feels floaty and not planted. My preferred settings are the track settings, which means when i go on track these will probably be too soft.

So I'm wondering what everyone is running for similar use as me, so many options to choose from. Is a true coilover setup going to be better? Ohlins taking so long that I'm not sure if i should put them back on, if anything ever goes again I'll have to wait too long.

Any help appreciated, for me suspension either makes or brakes the car, so i really want to get this right and enjoy it.

Thanks
Jay

Last edited by jayk12; 09-17-2023 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #2
WoodyOGM2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Following for ideas, UK based making decision on suspension at the moment…
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 03:36 PM   #3
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

The most expensive units you can swing because you get what you pay for here. Nitron R1/3, MCS, Ohlins TTX are superb choices. Below that, I’d be reaching for TC Kline.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2023, 11:58 AM   #4
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

jayk12 & WoodyOGM2 - we offer F87 specific Nitron kits built my Nitron there in the UK to our custom specifications. We dialed these in specifically to excel in performance while still providing excellent street/ride manners. These are exclusive to us as we have adjusted the valving and spring rates from their off the shelf kit and have had excellent results with them.

OG Shark Custom Nitron Kits

And since you are in the UK you should have pretty easy access to Nitron for support/rebuilds/etc. We have lots of options and can tailor the kits exactly to what you are looking for.
Appreciate 1
jayk1221.50
      09-25-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk12 View Post
Hi all,

So I'm in the UK and mainly use my car on the road for fun, i will be getting back into track days and sprints next year. The car is still 70% road fun. The roads are rough, bumpy and undulating.

I had Ohlins with 90/190 spring rates. When on it the chassis control was really good. Loved the balance. They were just too firm, and knocking so i sent them off for warranty repairs and im 6 weeks in and there still not here. I was speaking to Harold at HP and thinking refit them with 140 or 160NM rear spring.

I fitted M Performance Coilovers and yes they are are more compliant on recommended settings and whilst compliant the car rolls, the rear feels floaty and not planted. My preferred settings are the track settings, which means when i go on track these will probably be too soft.

So I'm wondering what everyone is running for similar use as me, so many options to choose from. Is a true coilover setup going to be better? Ohlins taking so long that I'm not sure if i should put them back on, if anything ever goes again I'll have to wait too long.

Any help appreciated, for me suspension either makes or brakes the car, so i really want to get this right and enjoy it.

Thanks
Jay
Have you looked into MCS? Motorsport dampers, but perfectly fine to use on the streets. Can be custom made for divorced or coilover rear. Run the MCS 2WNR right now on my personal car.

Here is what a coilover rear looks like(this one is a 2 way with an external reservoir).

PM with any questions you might have.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      10-05-2023, 03:54 AM   #6
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Litchfield/Nitron R1 for M2C

I just swapped my M perf kit for a Nitron R1 three days ago.

Initially, I had gone with the M perf kit and Ground Control camber plates and was impressed with how flat the car cornered and how agile steering had become with the new alignment. Just like a cambered z4M Coupe, point and shoot, full of weight at any turn of the rack.

The car though was very stiff and had become tiring. It was also noisy at bumps from day one so i pulled the trigger on a litchfield nitron r1 kit, which came as a true coilover in the back as well. Which sounds like the wrong thing to do since this is a more hardcore offering mostly for the track.

So with the R1 the cars' steering has definitely become more granular. The same goes for the ride, something I was hoping for, british vs. german setup.

Ironically on their default settings the car leans more on its side than with the M perf, even though the R1 is considered more hardcore. That though is if you are really pushing as if you are tracking. I might stiffen the dampers a bit to experiment further.

The R1 is expensive, yes, but i strongly recommend it. I attach a pic with the settings the Litchfield R1 came with. Ride height is at 60 cm all round.
Attached Images

Last edited by gnx; 10-05-2023 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #7
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Have you looked into MCS? Motorsport dampers, but perfectly fine to use on the streets. Can be custom made for divorced or coilover rear. Run the MCS 2WNR right now on my personal car.

Here is what a coilover rear looks like(this one is a 2 way with an external reservoir).

PM with any questions you might have.
Hi Harold, I did have a nose at them. I'm finding the M Perf's not so bad for road, I softened of the front in relation to the rear and its a more comfortable ride. With winter on its way I will soften up the rear too as its just going rain alot. I think I will see which direction I go with the car for next year. Thanks for your help as always.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 10:49 AM   #8
jayk12
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
I just swapped my M perf kit for a Nitron R1 three days ago.

Initially, I had gone with the M perf kit and Ground Control camber plates and was impressed with how flat the car cornered and how agile steering had become with the new alignment. Just like a cambered z4M Coupe, point and shoot, full of weight at any turn of the rack.

The car though was very stiff and had become tiring. It was also noisy at bumps from day one so i pulled the trigger on a litchfield nitron r1 kit, which came as a true coilover in the back as well. Which sounds like the wrong thing to do since this is a more hardcore offering mostly for the track.

So with the R1 the cars' steering has definitely become more granular. The same goes for the ride, something I was hoping for, british vs. german setup.

Ironically on their default settings the car leans more on its side than with the M perf, even though the R1 is considered more hardcore. That though is if you are really pushing as if you are tracking. I might stiffen the dampers a bit to experiment further.

The R1 is expensive, yes, but i strongly recommend it. I attach a pic with the settings the Litchfield R1 came with. Ride height is at 60 cm all round.
What bump / rebound did you run on the M Perfs? Going from my Ohlins to my M Perfs the car didnt feel as flat or as planted, but then the Ohlins didn't have much give at all. I'm quite happy with the M-Perfs for now. I'm surprised you have knocking, I had millway street top mounts with M Perf and no noises at all. If your getting knocking its common for the top strut nut to not be tight enough.

A guy I chat to on the M2 UK Owners board has these Litchfield R1's and on UK roads he says they are way too stiff and jarring, he is not happy with the quality of them either, so he is removing them and fitting M Performance also. I guess how suspension feels is very subjective and everyone can find it different. I'm glad your happy with it though.
Appreciate 1
gnx759.50
      10-05-2023, 03:07 PM   #9
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I ran my M perf with the bmw proposed setting for the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 03:36 PM   #10
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

I’m in the process of moving to OG Shark’s custom spec Nitron R1 kit myself.

I got to experience the exact units on a M2C on track and came away impressed. They felt up to the task of street duty as well, but I’ll share more impressions once I’ve got some miles on them.
Appreciate 0