BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Great steering for all OG/LCI M2!!! :-)

04-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #23
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Great response thank you.

I even read about the LCI M2 maybe being perkier than the OG OG M2!?

I'll certainly flag it up she's due the next service if that's ok or does it count as a 'warranty' item in which case I've got till November.

Do dealers tend to know the individual updates so I can anticipate the changes? It's amazing so much is tweaked through the software after the car is launched, not just sat nav stuff which I understand but actual control parameters for the car!
Quote:
Great response thank you.

I even read about the LCI M2 maybe being perkier than the OG OG M2!?

I'll certainly flag it up she's due the next service if that's ok or does it count as a 'warranty' item in which case I've got till November.

Do dealers tend to know the individual updates so I can anticipate the changes? It's amazing so much is tweaked through the software after the car is launched, not just sat nav stuff which I understand but actual control parameters for the car!
The dealers don't (or won't) tell you anything about whaw will be updated.

It is absolutely amazing what the updates bring to the car - honestly, you'll be blown away.

I have now gone one stage further and coded the car to m4 gts steering and traction control - wow! truly amazing what 20 mins with a laptop can do!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #24
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

I got the update. First thing I noticed was the ASD. Previously I couldn’t tell what sounds were coming from the car and what what coming from the speakers. Car is definitely quieter inside as there’s less fake sound being pumped in. I guess I never realized how fake the sound was. I kind of miss it, but I think I like a more honest sound. Maybe it just means it’s downpipe time.

I don’t think I’d call the steering great, but it’s certaintly better. There’s more vibration felt from changes in road surfaces but it still feels a little dead inside. I was probably setting my expectations too high and wishing for something closer to the nervous darting feeling of a hydraulic Porsche 997, where the road pulls wheel around slightly as it undulates beneath the car. The weight seems a little different too, but that could be placebo and I’m neither here nor there about it.

But the best part of the update are the nannies. They wait a little longer before kicking in and the car is much more playful in sport+. To me that makes the whole update worth it.

Last edited by matty_f; 04-27-2019 at 01:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #25
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
I got the update.

I don’t think I’d call the steering great, but it’s certaintly better.

But the best part of the update are the nannies. They wait a little longer before kicking in and the car is much more playful in sport+. To me that makes the whole update worth it.
Coding in M4GTS MDM/EPS will make the steering and nannies absolutely perfect. I highly reccomend it.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...43&postcount=8
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #26
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

So with my manual I can't lose really, more playful traction (I have been surprised how controlled this car is in general even in sport +), better steering.

ASD quieter, sometimes it seems obviously fake to me sometimes I like it, either way got a 300cell milltek downpipe coming

How to outside BMW to do it though. Am I entitled to just ask for it as I have warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:05 AM   #27
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So with my manual I can't lose really, more playful traction (I have been surprised how controlled this car is in general even in sport +), better steering.

ASD quieter, sometimes it seems obviously fake to me sometimes I like it, either way got a 300cell milltek downpipe coming

How to outside BMW to do it though. Am I entitled to just ask for it as I have warranty?
Quote:

Unlikely they'll do it for free just because you want it (even under warranty).

I'd expect 1hr labour charge, but its money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #28
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I got the update. First thing I noticed was the ASD. Previously I couldn’t tell what sounds were coming from the car and what what coming from the speakers. Car is definitely quieter inside as there’s less fake sound being pumped in. I guess I never realized how fake the sound was. I kind of miss it, but I think I like a more honest sound. Maybe it just means it’s downpipe time.
I was the same - missed it at first but then actually preferred it toned down. The thing is the ASD has now come back and is the same level as it was before. Has this also happened to you?

I am going to investigate coding it off/down.

Quote:
I don’t think I’d call the steering great, but it’s certaintly better. There’s more vibration felt from changes in road surfaces but it still feels a little dead inside. I was probably setting my expectations too high and wishing for something closer to the nervous darting feeling of a hydraulic Porsche 997, where the road pulls wheel around slightly as it undulates beneath the car. The weight seems a little different too, but that could be placebo and I’m neither here nor there about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Coding in M4GTS MDM/EPS will make the steering and nannies absolutely perfect. I highly reccomend it.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...43&postcount=8
If you want a car with more feel, then I totally recommend following Andrew's advice and coding the M4 GTS settings. I did this a week ago and it is so much better - it's not quite the same as hydraulic steering as the electronic damping gives a slightly different sensation over undulations, but man, there is loads of feel and the steering wheel moves a lot!!! - even in Comfort mode! Sport+ is now excellent.

For some, the level of feel will be too much and they may prefer hiding some of the NVH, but if you are a Porsche fan (I have had one, plus 2 x Lotus Elises, so do appreciate good steering), then this mod is definitely for you! :-)

You can also very easily check if this steering is for you - with the F020-19-03-530 update (or later) applied, simply drive for a bit with DSC disabled (long press) - the M2 will switch into quite a raw mode for the steering - the M4 GTS coding in Sport+ is very close to this (not quite a raw, but very close).

Note for others: Having the F020-19-03-530 update (or later) is important - BMW seem to have finally managed to provide steering feel at the same time as weight, which was something unsuccessful on previous versions - previously as the modes added weight (e.g. as moving to more sporty driving modes), then the feel was sacrificed - not any more. :-)

Last edited by widetyres; 04-30-2019 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #29
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Has anyone with the new ISTEP software reflashed BM3?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #30
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Well sometimes my Bluetooth plays up in that it doesn't show the track progress bar correctly...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #31
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Is the steering weight changed with update?
      05-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #32
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

trying to see what steps i need to take to get this done. does ISTEP update with the software updates you find from bmw.com when you enter your VIN? my SA couldn't answer that question, but told me to try updating the software via USB first
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #33
baturbo
"It's so choice...I highly rec. picking one up"-FB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
trying to see what steps i need to take to get this done. does ISTEP update with the software updates you find from bmw.com when you enter your VIN? my SA couldn't answer that question, but told me to try updating the software via USB first
You can do it yourself. Just take your time and followed this.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post23774038

Last edited by baturbo; 05-09-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:43 AM   #34
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Is the steering weight changed with update?
Do you mean with the updated ISTEP, or with the gts?

The gts coding adds quite a bit of weight compared to the others coding options. Feels excellent!

For f087cs coding there was no change with this ISTEP (as compared to f020-18-07-xxx).

Difficult to gauge for the default F087 coding as I hadn't run it for so long (as used to prefer f087cs option). It is a bit lighter than f087cs.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #35
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Do you mean with the updated ISTEP, or with the gts?

The gts coding adds quite a bit of weight compared to the others coding options. Feels excellent!

For f087cs coding there was no change with this ISTEP (as compared to f020-18-07-xxx).

Difficult to gauge for the default F087 coding as I hadn't run it for so long (as used to prefer f087cs option). It is a bit lighter than f087cs.
Mine is F87 MY2017, EPS module remain on its original version. As opposed to your comments, to me M2C's steering feels a bit lighter than M2 and M2 LCI.

Let's not confuse heavy steering with good steering, especially at the electrically assisted steering age. In fact, a lot better handling cars (All 991 variants, Alfa Romeo QV & etc) have noticeably lighter steering and they feel great.

I actually wish for a lighter steering with our Ms, so with the street driving, low speed turn would be a lot easier. And believe it or not, the car would feel nimbler.
      05-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #36
outerbelt
Rep
Drives: '17 LBB M2

I had my ISTEP upgraded to the latest version (NBT_EVO Q) a couple weeks ago at the dealer and wanted to chime in on the differences I felt. Thanks to widetyres for the info and background going back to the mid-2018 updates.

All differences are vs. my previous ISTEP version (NBT_EVO M) which was programmed in late 2017.

- Steering feel in comfort, sport, and sport+ is definitely lighter. The car darts faster now. In the previous NBT_EVO M version, comfort was light, but there was a noticeable heaviness to Sport/Sport +.
- Might be my imagination or placebo, but road feel has improved.
- Car will pull harder in Comfort - again, might be a placebo or due to the throttle adoption reset values.

Separate topic but by updating the ISTEP to Q, I was able to enable full-screen CarPlay which is a bonus. I believe versions N,O,P are also eligible for the hack - you need to use a USB or ESYS cable (depending on ISTEP version) and have someone code it for you. A fellow out of the UK helped do it and it was done and over with in about 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #37
BMWF87Guy
Rep

What is the latest ISTEP version to ask for?

Dealer seems to know nothing about anything
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #38
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine is F87 MY2017, EPS module remain on its original version. As opposed to your comments, to me M2C's steering feels a bit lighter than M2 and M2 LCI.
Yeah, you will definitely think of it that way on the old software. I recall now how ridiculously heavy the M2 LCI steering was - couldn't stand it so moved to M2C steering after only a couple of days - the LCI steering in Sport+ felt like I was trying to corner a truck, it was so unnecessarily heavy.

Quote:
Let's not confuse heavy steering with good steering, especially at the electrically assisted steering age. In fact, a lot better handling cars (All 991 variants, Alfa Romeo QV & etc) have noticeably lighter steering and they feel great.
No confusion - the update will give you better steering. Compared to the LCI steering, it will be alot lighter and have a lot more feel.

Quote:
I actually wish for a lighter steering with our Ms, so with the street driving, low speed turn would be a lot easier. And believe it or not, the car would feel nimbler.
The new M2 steering is a great balance and is a tad lighter now than even the M2C steering you are used to.

I'm glad to report that my Ms is happy with the new GTS coding though - it's no heavier than her 2011 Merc C Class (whereas before the M2C steering was considerably lighter - can't have that!).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #39
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:

Im with you. I hate the overly heavy feel of steering when set to Sport. Its numb and is heavy, ie, not a great combo. I prefer the steering set to comfort; good thing we can separate the 'chassis' (throttle) setting from from the 'steering' setting ...
      05-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #40
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Guy View Post
Dealer seems to know nothing about anything
That's almost always the case.

Nothing really surprising about hearing that.
      05-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #41
virtguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I just checked with my dealer about this, and they said unless there was a fault code that justified the software upgrade under warranty, it would be 2 hours at $155/hr. Not sure it's worth $310.
      05-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #42
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtguy View Post
I just checked with my dealer about this, and they said unless there was a fault code that justified the software upgrade under warranty, it would be 2 hours at $155/hr. Not sure it's worth $310.
How old is your car? If it is an og m2 then it is worth every cent! Honestly, it becomes a completely different (better) car in many respects.

I'd you have an lci, then main changes are to steering. You may be able to get 90% of the benefit though by coding your car to the m2c option.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:41 PM   #43
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by baturbo View Post
Quote:
You can do it yourself. Just take your time and followed this.
Link doesn't work for me, can you send again?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #44
baturbo
"It's so choice...I highly rec. picking one up"-FB
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Quote:
Link doesn't work for me, can you send again?
Appreciate 1