BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

11-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #837
sukutash
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2020 M2C

Garage List
ASD OFF!

Turned off ASD with CARLY. SO HAPPY right now!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 08:26 PM   #838
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Installed my PNP ASD bypass harness, which works great, too great, I no longer have Apple Car play (sound). It shows it's playing, but I can't hear it!

Any ideas on that? A quick google search turned up nothing. I imagine the harness only goes in one way, yes?
I haven't ever gotten around to using mine. I have an amp I'll be installing at some point soon I guess and I may test it then. I kind of got used to ASD and like it sometimes . The minute I test it I will let you know though. It does only look like it goes one way. To clarify, you have no sound at all, or only via CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 08:50 PM   #839
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I haven't ever gotten around to using mine. I have an amp I'll be installing at some point soon I guess and I may test it then. I kind of got used to ASD and like it sometimes . The minute I test it I will let you know though. It does only look like it goes one way. To clarify, you have no sound at all, or only via CarPlay?
I don't mind ASD so much to be honest, but when I'm on the highway it's a bit annoying. No sound at all.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-04-2023, 11:31 PM   #840
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Myb just needs a reset? I’m using a harness and no issue with CarPlay. But I also didn’t hear a night and day difference. Less drone sounds in the highway, that I noticed. MPe exhaust.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 04:21 PM   #841
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Just in case anyone is considering purchasing the Technic PNP bypass harness, you better hope it works, because if it doesn't they...

1. Do not stand behind their product.
2. Do not accept returns.
3. Do not return emails.
4. Won't answer your questions directly.
5. Will blame your inability to use a plug on the fact that it does not work.

Worst company, customer service, and product I have ever purchased for my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 04:24 PM   #842
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Just in case anyone is considering purchasing the Technic PNP bypass harness, you better hope it works, because if it doesn't they...

1. Do not stand behind their product.
2. Do not accept returns.
3. Do not return emails.
4. Won't answer your questions directly.
5. Will blame your inability to use a plug on the fact that it does not work.

Worst company, customer service, and product I have ever purchased for my car.
I'm sorry to hear that, please share more details to what lead to this review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #843
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, please share more details to what lead to this review
I purchased the product, plugged it in correctly, and it works, but my music (Apple CarPlay) would no longer come out of the speakers. Thinking I might have done something wrong, I watched the videos again, and uninstalled, and reinstalled the bypass with the same result.

I have a friend that was wanting the bypass as well, so I had him come over so we could try it on his car (2019 M2C), and the results were the same.

I send TechnicPNP an email about it with no response. Another email was sent 3 days later. And finally 8 days later. No response.

I went to their Facebook page and sent a message and finally got a response.

You don't even want to know what our chat was like. He would never actually answer my questions, and blamed me for not being able to use a plug.

Done with this place for sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 08:29 PM   #844
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I purchased the product, plugged it in correctly, and it works, but my music (Apple CarPlay) would no longer come out of the speakers. Thinking I might have done something wrong, I watched the videos again, and uninstalled, and reinstalled the bypass with the same result.

I have a friend that was wanting the bypass as well, so I had him come over so we could try it on his car (2019 M2C), and the results were the same.

I send TechnicPNP an email about it with no response. Another email was sent 3 days later. And finally 8 days later. No response.

I went to their Facebook page and sent a message and finally got a response.

You don't even want to know what our chat was like. He would never actually answer my questions, and blamed me for not being able to use a plug.

Done with this place for sure.
wow ok then, thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 11:44 PM   #845
c0riolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

Wow, that's crazy bad customer service.

///MPhatic Did you try to continuity-test all the pins?

I have one that I still did not have time to install, I can double-check your results, maybe it's just a pin that's not seated correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 06:49 AM   #846
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0riolis View Post
Wow, that's crazy bad customer service.

///MPhatic Did you try to continuity-test all the pins?

I have one that I still did not have time to install, I can double-check your results, maybe it's just a pin that's not seated correctly.
I didn't try to do any real work on it, that's their job, I spent the money for a working product.

I installed it, no music.

Uninstalled it, checked that everything looked good, which it did, and reinstalled. Same issue (no music).

We then installed it on a different car. Same result.

I emailed them 3 times with no response (first with a question as to what it could be).

I then messaged them on FB, to which I got several responses, but none were any good.

I did ask them if they tested every bypass before sending it out, and I got no response, yet they have a strict no-return/no-refund policy (I guess it figures with a business address that's HOTMAIL).

To be fair, I lost my isht with them in that chat a few times because they would never answer my questions.

I mean, $65 is nothing to me, it's the fact that they don't stand behind their product.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 08:29 AM   #847
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

That’s sh*t customer service alright. Should have just sent a new one and gotten the old one back. That harness is probably just less than $5 tops. Now they have bad press, and likely would never get out of their hotmail email account. 🤣

Honestly, I don’t know if people did really feel the ASD gone after this harness. I didn’t positively feel there was an improvement but too lazy to pull it out.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-17-2023, 08:38 AM   #848
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
That’s sh*t customer service alright. Should have just sent a new one and gotten the old one back. That harness is probably just less than $5 tops. Now they have bad press, and likely would never get out of their hotmail email account. 🤣

Honestly, I don’t know if people did really feel the ASD gone after this harness. I didn’t positively feel there was an improvement but too lazy to pull it out.
I mean, that's why no one except in this tiny community has heard of them.

I shouldn't have lost my isht with them in chat, but I just couldn't help myself with how bad the CS was.

I noticed mine on the highway only, which is why I bought it, for the one time a year I'm on the highway for 12 hours. Beyond that the ASD doesn't bother me at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 07:54 PM   #849
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

for you MY2017 owners, once you code out ASD, can you recode it back easily? Trying to avoid buying the harness from technicpnp
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:22 PM   #850
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

[QUOTE="///MPhatic;30661879"]I mean, that's why no one except in this tiny community has heard of them.

I shouldn't have lost my isht with them in chat, but I just couldn't help myself with how bad the CS was.

I noticed mine on the highway only, which is why I bought it, for the one time a year I'm on the highway for 12 hours. Beyond that the ASD doesn't bother me at all.

———————————————————————-

Old post, but is your M2 audio system base audio ? If so the ASD is the amplifier for the car audio is serving two purposes

1, synthetic engine noise
2, acts as 4 channel amp for the car audio.

So you won’t get any audio if using a bypass harness.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 05:59 PM   #851
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
for you MY2017 owners, once you code out ASD, can you recode it back easily? Trying to avoid buying the harness from technicpnp
It is not as straightforward as you’d expect in case of BimmerCode.
ASD is revived by selecting a backup log. It can be confusing if you have many logs stored and by selecting an old log, all the changes you made after the log will be cancelled.

Selecting a mismatched model in the expert mode can also disable ASD. You can get ASD back on by selecting the right model again. This may be the easiest way to disable ASD without messing with the backup logs.
      01-29-2024, 07:52 PM   #852
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
It is not as straightforward as you’d expect in case of BimmerCode.
ASD is revived by selecting a backup log. It can be confusing if you have many logs stored and by selecting an old log, all the changes you made after the log will be cancelled.

Selecting a mismatched model in the expert mode can also disable ASD. You can get ASD back on by selecting the right model again. This may be the easiest way to disable ASD without messing with the backup logs.
that's interesting. so is ASD a sound recording then? I always thought it was just a conversion and amplification of engine/exhaust signals to the speakers; especially since the ASD module resemble an amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:45 PM   #853
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
that's interesting. so is ASD a sound recording then? I always thought it was just a conversion and amplification of engine/exhaust signals to the speakers; especially since the ASD module resemble an amp.
In my understanding ASD is fully synthetic/artificial.
Anyone knowledgeable, correct me if I am wrong.
      01-30-2024, 07:47 AM   #854
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealfromNZ View Post
Old post, but is your M2 audio system base audio ? If so the ASD is the amplifier for the car audio is serving two purposes

1, synthetic engine noise
2, acts as 4 channel amp for the car audio.

So you won’t get any audio if using a bypass harness.
Base audio? My car has every option except sunroof and DCT (which I didn't want).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 12:08 PM   #855
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Base audio? My car has every option except sunroof and DCT (which I didn't want).
Ok, so you have tweeters / Harmon Kardon then ?

Just get an app like BimmerCode that’s simple to use and it’s straightforward to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:48 PM   #856
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Just get an app like BimmerCode that’s simple to use and it’s straightforward to turn it off.
The US only got HK audio I think on the M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 09:04 AM   #857
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:

I've heard of some issues with turning it off via apps. I would only use it once a year anyway, on my 6-hour trip to The Dragon, so it's no big deal. I prefer ASD on the rest of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:01 AM   #858
philth
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
I installed the harness and it made a world of difference in the car. No unnatural, enveloping drone in the car. The exhaust noise comes from where it should, toward the back. The ASD just doesn’t sound (or feel) natural to the car, especially with an MPE. When travelling with a passenger, you no longer need to yell to have a convo. No more headaches after a longer drive. The stereo sounds cleaner (even though it’s still shit and rarely used).
YMMV though. I’m sensitive to noise, so maybe I notice a bigger difference than others would. My girlfriend also noticed a big difference after the harness went in. As did my brother. I went with the harness because I read some things about just turning it off via apps that didn’t seem like the best solution for me. The harness was ‘one and done’.
Appreciate 0