BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > What's the Best Way to Use Waze on the Screen?

06-01-2022, 04:58 PM   #23
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
G-generation BMWs have Android Auto support.
And it's wireless too, phone can stay in your pocket, no USB plugging required.

I'm glad I have it in my 2 other cars, but I'll leave my Android (running Waze) in the cupholder of my M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:00 PM   #24
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Android Auto is for the poors driving Korean cars.

BMW should start building cars to work exclusively with ‘Pro’ model iPhones to weed out any proletariat.
Damn do I love the internet.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:00 PM   #25
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
Damn do I love the internet.
Same here. A simple technical question about mapping software and 24 comments later we're deep into Marxist sociology.

Well, maybe not so deep.
Appreciate 3
Brandt51889.00
smknjoe234.00
MooMooM21819.00
      06-12-2022, 12:06 AM   #26
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
Fair enough. I guess I'm just annoyed that such an expensive car doesn't support Android as well as Apple.

Out of curiosity, are there cars that support both?
Yea there are many. The F8X just isn't one of them.
Yep. Tons of them. My 2018 GTI supported both and that car was less than half the price of my M2.

I've used Windows Mobile and then Android phones since 2005ish. Bought my first iPhone just so I could use CarPlay in the M2C (after using Android Auto in my VW.) It's really not a big deal at all switching from brand to brand or OS to OS…they all do the same thing and run the same mainstream apps. I don't understand the adamant brand loyalty/hatred when they are so similar.

Calls, contacts, navigation, text messages, music, videos. They are the same on both platforms. And you most likely have all of that info synced online. So, when you get a new phone you just login and poof, there's all of your sh!t regardless of brand.

Just get an iPhone and move on with your life.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 01:00 AM   #27
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just helped a friend set up Waze in her new middle-of-the-road Honda Accord from her iPhone.

I expected to go through some sort of hassle to get it to display. Instead, I just sat down in the car, plugged the phone into the USB outlet, the car recognized the phone and when I opened the app, Waze came up on the screen, filling it completely with a bright, centered, easy-to-read Waze screen. Her Sirius and phone worked seamlessly through the car's electronics with Waze running.

Then I went back to my M2 and opened up Waze on my miserable Galaxy S9+ android.

I didn't want my friend's Honda but I sure wish I could plug my Android into the M2 USB and see what I saw on her screen.

The list price of her Honda was half of the M2 list price.

Not adding much to this thread. Just carping.
Quote:
Her phone worked seamlessly through the car's electronics with Waze running.

Then, I went back to my M2 and opened up Waze on the infotainment screen without even plugging my iPhone into the USB port and life was grand...

Fixed that for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 03:13 AM   #28
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just helped a friend set up Waze in her new middle-of-the-road Honda Accord from her iPhone.

I expected to go through some sort of hassle to get it to display. Instead, I just sat down in the car, plugged the phone into the USB outlet, the car recognized the phone and when I opened the app, Waze came up on the screen, filling it completely with a bright, centered, easy-to-read Waze screen. Her Sirius and phone worked seamlessly through the car's electronics with Waze running.

Then I went back to my M2 and opened up Waze on my miserable Galaxy S9+ android.

I didn't want my friend's Honda but I sure wish I could plug my Android into the M2 USB and see what I saw on her screen.

The list price of her Honda was half of the M2 list price.

Not adding much to this thread. Just carping.
Quote:
Her phone worked seamlessly through the car's electronics with Waze running.

Then, I went back to my M2 and opened up Waze on the infotainment screen without even plugging my iPhone into the USB port and life was grand...

Fixed that for you.
Edit - the forum double posted for some reason. Can't un-spam it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 11:05 AM   #29
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Lol. I wish i could have ordered m2c without the i-drive screen or it folded out of the way instead of spoiling a nice dashboard. Like the older Mk1 Z4.

I have preset 1 as "turn off display screen" so as soon as i start the car i turn screen off. Especially in the dark.

All the audio i control through the steering wheel and small dispay. Perfect. Unfortunately still need the screen for car settings etc so fold down would have been ideal.

Nav, dont really use it.
Appreciate 0