BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > FABSPEED MOTORSPORT | M2 Exhaust Suite Unleashed

Closed Thread

01-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #221
BishUK
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

@fabspeed Sent PM 24hrs back re sport cat DP - pls let me know?
Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #222
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishUK View Post
@fabspeed Sent PM 24hrs back re sport cat DP - pls let me know?
Many thanks
I never received your PM. I'll send you one now or feel free to shoot me an email as well!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #223
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

We have had a handful of guys order up some Sport Cats - Don't be the only one left out! PM me and I would be happy to get you setup!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #224
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Fabspeed, just a few questions.
I'm going to do the Dinan P2 power package & extras in the near future, which includes their exhaust & resonator delete. Can I assume the sport cat will work with this? Can you guarantee no CEL's with this setup the same as with yours? The P2 also comes with a bigger turbo and piggy back to the stock ECU. Should I expect the same power gains using your sport cat? Or maybe a few more ponies being that the turbo is more efficient?

If you want to PM me, please feel free.

TIA, Bob
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      01-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #225
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Fabspeed, just a few questions.
I'm going to do the Dinan P2 power package & extras in the near future, which includes their exhaust & resonator delete. Can I assume the sport cat will work with this? Can you guarantee no CEL's with this setup the same as with yours? The P2 also comes with a bigger turbo and piggy back to the stock ECU. Should I expect the same power gains using your sport cat? Or maybe a few more ponies being that the turbo is more efficient?

If you want to PM me, please feel free.

TIA, Bob
Interesting question. Check out post #122 in the Dinan Stage 4 thread. A poster shared the impressions of a buddy with the Dinan big turbo system who was running an Akrapovic exhaust with catted downpipe. The poster was in the car with his buddy for the test drive. He was impressed, and didn't say anything about a CEL.

But please share Fabspeed's answer when you get it!!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #226
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Just so everyone is on the same page, I think this is the post you're referring to: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=122
I did read this whole thread, but I think there might be some confusion as to what's actually going on. I've spoken with the OP regarding that setup. The gentleman's M2 that he speaks about is running the Akrapovic exhaust and a test / prototype Akrapovic catted (200 cell) down pipe. He DOES get CEL's with this setup.

That thread and the resulting conversations I've had with him are exactly why I am asking Fabspeed if they are willing to guarantee that their catted downpipe will work with this Dinan setup.

I simply do not want to deal with CEL's. If it means that I'll lose a few ponies, then I won't spend the money on their catted downpipe.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      01-14-2017, 12:06 AM   #227
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just so everyone is on the same page, I think this is the post you're referring to: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=122
I did read this whole thread, but I think there might be some confusion as to what's actually going on. I've spoken with the OP regarding that setup. The gentleman's M2 that he speaks about is running the Akrapovic exhaust and a test / prototype Akrapovic catted (200 cell) down pipe. He DOES get CEL's with this setup.

That thread and the resulting conversations I've had with him are exactly why I am asking Fabspeed if they are willing to guarantee that their catted downpipe will work with this Dinan setup.

I simply do not want to deal with CEL's. If it means that I'll lose a few ponies, then I won't spend the money on their catted downpipe.
I stand corrected. I guess he was getting CELs and did not mention it in the post. This would bum me out, since I've got the DP and have ordered the Dinan kit. My guess is that Fabspeed is going to say that they don't know, and won't know until somebody tries that combination. I suppose that the Dinan piggy richens the mixture at various load levels to compensate for higher boost, and that might trigger a CEL. If so, I hope they can recommend a fix...

Come to think of it, did the prototype throw a CEL BEFORE installation of the kit? IF so, I would be a bit less concerned, because it seems clear that the Fabspeed catted DP does not throw a CEL on a stock car...

Moreover, from what I can tell, in the experience of a poster on the Sport Tuner thread, a Fabspeed DP in combination with that Tuner does not throw CELs, either, and Dinan says that Tuner works "in tandem" with the DME to adjust timing and fuel:

"DINANTRONICS Sport plugs into a single sensor which lends itself to a very quick and and discrete installation, or removal, should the need arise. Not only does this connection method offer a simplified install but also effectively utilizes the factory DME, in tandem with itself, in order to re-map boost, fueling, and timing for optimal performance."

Of course the full piggy surely does more "re-mapping" than the Sport Tuner, but the lack of a CEL with the Tuner seems to be a good sign on this question...

Last edited by BruceM; 01-14-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #228
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Bruce, I think you're going to be good. The Dinan piggyback should keep the exhaust within range, allowing both the stock cat, and / or the fabspeed cat process the gases without damage to the cat cells or setting off the O2 CEL.

I just want Fabspeed to tell me that they guarantee no CEL before I spend the money.
I also would like to find out from them how much power will be gained with their sport cat in combination with the Dinan setup. They claim 32whp with all else stock. I wonder if more can be had with the big turbo.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      01-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #229
bi0hazard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 m2

In addition, maybe fabspeed can also chime in whether the catted pipe will pass all us emission tests (outside Calif).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #230
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Bruce, I think you're going to be good. The Dinan piggyback should keep the exhaust within range, allowing both the stock cat, and / or the fabspeed cat process the gases without damage to the cat cells or setting off the O2 CEL.

I just want Fabspeed to tell me that they guarantee no CEL before I spend the money.
I also would like to find out from them how much power will be gained with their sport cat in combination with the Dinan setup. They claim 32whp with all else stock. I wonder if more can be had with the big turbo.
Yes, I have wondered about that as well. But then you got me started wondering about CELs all over again It does seem to me that better flow from the cat combined with more flow from the turbo might make the delta caused by the Fabspeed unit a tick or two greater with the big turbo set up.

Remind me about your plans for the Dinan kit? If you haven't installed by the time I do, I certainly will report what happens....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #231
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
In addition, maybe fabspeed can also chime in whether the catted pipe will pass all us emission tests (outside Calif).
I can answer that for NJ.

No CEL = passed emissions
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #232
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Yes, I have wondered about that as well. But then you got me started wondering about CELs all over again It does seem to me that better flow from the cat combined with more flow from the turbo might make the delta caused by the Fabspeed unit a tick or two greater with the big turbo set up.

Remind me about your plans for the Dinan kit? If you haven't installed by the time I do, I certainly will report what happens....
Sorry, I'm not trying to be Bob the buzz killer

I am not getting Dinan done for a few months at the earliest. I havent even driven my M2 more than 40 minutes, as it's at the Xpel installer's shop, right from the dealership.

So, I want to get to know the stock car first. I'll drive it around for at least a few thousand miles.

In the meantime I'm collecting additional parts. The dinan resonator delete is sitting in my basement. I have the ER TIC & IC to intake charge pipe kits on order.

So you'll be done before me! Like I said too, I'm in touch with the local guy who has the Dinan kit, and he's linked to Thompson BMW. I'm hoping to bring my car in for the 1200 mile service, and to get a ride in his Dinan P2 car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #233
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not trying to be Bob the buzz killer

I am not getting Dinan done for a few months at the earliest. I havent even driven my M2 more than 40 minutes, as it's at the Xpel installer's shop, right from the dealership.

So, I want to get to know the stock car first. I'll drive it around for at least a few thousand miles.

In the meantime I'm collecting additional parts. The dinan resonator delete is sitting in my basement. I have the ER TIC & IC to intake charge pipe kits on order.

So you'll be done before me! Like I said too, I'm in touch with the local guy who has the Dinan kit, and he's linked to Thompson BMW. I'm hoping to bring my car in for the 1200 mile service, and to get a ride in his Dinan P2 car.

No apologies needed! I am a big fan of facts in this apparently increasingly post-factual world

It will be awhile for me as well. I take delivery this next Tuesday, car getting XPel on Thursday. Drive it a few days, then unless I miss my guess I'll be at my shop getting a UCP and short shift kit installed, maybe springs and spacers, too, depending....then I'm going to drive it at least 1 to 2 thousand miles, then install the Dinan kit and Fabspeed DP. So we're looking at March/April/May, sometime in there...

Please post impressions of any P2 test drive in the meantime, though. That would be excellent!!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #234
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

I'll certainly share anything I find out
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #235
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Bruce and Bob,

Thank you for all of the questions about our Sport Cat Downpipe.

In regards to the installation and mating of the Sport Cat and the Dinan P2 - you shouldn't have any issues with fitment. Our systems are designed to bolt directly into factory settings, so simply remove the OEM setup and replace it with ours. As long as the Dinan setup follows the same guidelines (which I believe they do) you shouldn't have any issues mating them together.

About the CEL - we do guarantee no CEL from our Sport Cat Downpipe however, when doing a handful of other modifications other things can trigger a CEL. The Dinan P2 package includes things such as a bigger turbo core, intercooler, intake, etc. Combining these modifications could set off a CEL for other reasons outside of the downpipe. Now, the P2 package comes with ECU tuning as well. This tuning device should be able to remedy any CEL issues may have.

In all, we can confirm that no CEL will be caused by our downpipe but we cannot guarantee with all of these modifications working in sync with each other will not trigger a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #236
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Fabspeed thanks for the reply, and I figured you would say hat you did

So, if I get a CEL with the dinan p2 setup, and dinan says it your DP causing it, would you guys be willing to take a look at your shop? I am somewhat local.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #237
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fabspeed thanks for the reply, and I figured you would say hat you did

So, if I get a CEL with the dinan p2 setup, and dinan says it your DP causing it, would you guys be willing to take a look at your shop? I am somewhat local.
We can definitely take a look at it and determine whether the downpipe is causing the CEL or not!
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C4171.00
      01-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #238
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

We have a handful of downpipes getting ready to leave the door - who's next?! PM me for more details!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #239
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

What's the delivery time if say I ordered a catted down pipe on Monday?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #240
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
What's the delivery time if say I ordered a catted down pipe on Monday?
Check your PMs! I'll see what I can do!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #241
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

We have a handful of Sport Cat's ordered up and heading out to customers soon! Don't be the only one not going to the party!

PM me for more details!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #242
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Don't be the only one not going to the party!
Or another way to put it, boost your M2 to the psychologically satisfying 400 HP figure, ala M2 CS/TTRS.
Appreciate 3
Closed Thread