BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Thoughts on purchasing a modded M2?

02-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
Ewc
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman JCW

Thoughts on purchasing a modded M2?

I'm searching for a manual 2018 LCI M2. There's one for sale at a good price ($45k) at a nearby independent dealer with 6,800 miles and the following mods: M Performance Carbon Fiber Front and Rear Winglets, Mirror Caps, Rear Deck Spoiler, Eibach Pro-Kit Sport Springs, Goodridge G-Stop Stainless Braided Brake Lines, K&N Filter, Racewerks Intercooler to Throttle Body Charge Pipe, Wagner Evo II Competition Intercooler, Front and Rear M2 2 Piece Rotors, Ceramic Front and Rear Brake Pads.

I asked the dealer whether it had been chipped and they said no. I asked why the prior (2nd) owner had modded the car and traded so quickly. They said the owner is a friend of the dealer who traded in a track prepped Miata; he modded the M2 to get it track ready, but liked his Miata better, so he ended up trading the M2 back. Supposedly the prior owner never ended up tracking the M2 (who knows if that's true). Based upon the Carfax, the 2nd owner added 2000 miles before trading it back to this dealer.

I've read the horror story post about someone purchasing a modded M2 and learning that the warranty had been voided. I would definitely get it inspected by a BMW dealer before purchasing, to ensure there are no ECU or warranty issues.

What do you all think about the mods? Would a dealer void the warranty due to the intercooler mod? Other than the Eibach springs (which I would want changed back to stock), the other mods seem to be pretty reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

for 45k you should be able to find clean unmolested models....if you really want the car i would suggest ppi and compression test
2018 Infiniti Q60 Redsport AWD
2008 BMW 335ix
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Ewc
Rep
Drives: Mini Clubman JCW

Yeah I may just wait for another clean one. I’m guessing this dealer may be willing to bargain on this modded M2 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
for 45k you should be able to find clean unmolested models....if you really want the car i would suggest ppi and compression test
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewc View Post
Yeah I may just wait for another clean one. I’m guessing this dealer may be willing to bargain on this modded M2 though.
my personal motto is never buy someone else project...lol. But given your location it should be easy to find a another m2 though. I would wait if i were you.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #5
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
Quote:
my personal motto is never buy someone else project...lol. But given your location it should be easy to find a another m2 though. I would wait if i were you.
Agree with this!

Start with clean slate so when you mod, you know it's been done correctly and to your specs.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
If the mods are ones that you may want then I would consider buying it. I would get a predelivery inspection to make sure that the mods were done correctly and that there are no mechanical or cosmetic problems. Make sure they meter the paint to check for accident repairs. A clean carfax does not mean the M2 wasn't in an accident.
      02-15-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Personally, having a modded car myself, having done some donuts and quick accelerations, and plan on tracking the car this season I see very little wrong with buying a modded or tracked car. Well, I guess more specially I have no problem buying a modded M2, because I have a few years experience knowing what's what with them now. What safe mods are, what needs to be done to make them safe, etc.

Anything that wears on a tracked car is all consumables that will need replacing eventually anyway. Tires, brakes, etc. People who track their cars tend to be even more anal about maintenance than regular owners. Especially when they track a new car, because they don't want to damage their expensive new car by not changing the oil enough or doing other maintenance and checks. This previous owner seems to be responsible that way, in so as he replaced the brakes and brake lines as the first mod. And trackers are especially more responsible than someone who buys a new car and hoons it on the streets to show off. Which anyone with a stock car is just as capable of doing. Not to say I believe hooning on a stock car would damage anything, but that people who hoon on a stock car in the streets are less likely to keep up on maintenance.

The M2 is also very capable of handling the mods listed and more, without issues and maintaining OEM reliability. It's not like any of the mods installed make any other part less reliable. What I mean is there aren't any power mods added that put too much stress on anything else. For example, my previous car, a 2007 Saab 93 Aero, the coilpacks would only last 3-4 years after being tuned due to the extra stress of the tune. Nor are there electrical mods that you have to be worried about with odd wiring jobs and such. All the mods listed here just make the car even more reliable and more safe than it came from the factory. It's not like this M2 has been through many owners over many years doing questionable repairs to it.

I say do a thorough inspection of the car, like with any other car before buying, and if you're happy with it, then buy it.

Also, inconsistencies in paint may not be a sign of an accident. Sometimes cars are damaged in transit and repaired at the port before delivery to the dealerships. Though if you do find any inconsistencies, you can use that to ask for addition money off the purchase price.
Appreciate 3
DanG10444.00
Kamaan0.00
Poochie9099.00
      02-16-2020, 03:24 AM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Sorry, if I'm buying a used car, it has to be from the stereotypical "old lady, hardly drove" category or I'm passing.

I would never purchase one that's modded for power. Obviously, if the previous owner altered the vehicle for more pull, there is a more than likely chance he dogged on it. One doesn't add speed enhancers just to cruise the boulevard.. Just saying..

Especially if it's a manual; you could never tell how worn a clutch plate is, with today self-adjusting clutch, so that's always a roll of the dice.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #9
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Sorry, if I'm buying a used car, it has to be from the stereotypical "old lady, hardly drove" category or I'm passing.

I would never purchase one that's modded for power. Obviously, if the previous owner altered the vehicle for more pull, there is a more than likely chance he dogged on it. One doesn't add speed enhancers just to cruise the boulevard.. Just saying..

Especially if it's a manual; you could never tell how worn a clutch plate is, with today self-adjusting clutch, so that's always a roll of the dice.
I think just the nature of it being a sports car means it's more than likely someone dogged on it haha.

In practice, my previous car I purchased from the original owner and he would go on and on about all the maintenance he's done to it, showing me paperwork all the way back to 2007, telling me ever specific fluid it used, and telling me every little thing wrong with it. Even though the car was in immaculate condition for being 7 years old, he would point out every minute scratch on it. I suppose because he had a car he was proud of and also wanted to show trust. That he wasn't hiding anything from me. His wife was even crying as I drove off with it. It was a 2007 Saab 93 Aero that I purchased in 2013. This guy only ever owned Saab and he had two other Saabs that he daily drove. They really loved the car and loved Saabs in general. After I purchased it, I went over it with a fine tooth comb detailing it and restoring little things that were worn. Like faded black plastic trim, new wheel center caps, etc.

And my m2, I bought new because I wanted the experience of owning a new car. One that no one else sat in, doesn't have any little wear marks on it from a previous owner, etc.

Even though logically, I don't see any reasons a well maintained used and/or tracked car wouldn't be just as reliable as a new car. I think it's more mental with wanting something to be all yours. It's like getting into a relationship and she still has her ex's spit on her. Or I guess a better example would be she still wears clothes that smell like his cologne. There's just something territorial and psychological about it that I can't quite explain that when you possess something, you want it to be yours and not reminded of it's past.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 02-16-2020 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

The difficulty is that not everyone mods a car within practical limits. Buying a modded car from someone on this forum might be very practical, but a random car with no history could be asking for trouble. If buying a modded car I would go as far as putting a video scope through the spark plug holes to get a view of the top of the pistons. You need to know what to look for. Shavings in the oil filter, or on trans drain plug. Even then it can be difficult to see abuse if there are no visible signs.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
The difficulty is that not everyone mods a car within practical limits. Buying a modded car from someone on this forum might be very practical, but a random car with no history could be asking for trouble. If buying a modded car I would go as far as putting a video scope through the spark plug holes to get a view of the top of the pistons. You need to know what to look for. Shavings in the oil filter, or on trans drain plug. Even then it can be difficult to see abuse if there are no visible signs.
Does modding lead to increased metal shavings in the oil? Which mods cause that?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #12
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Does modding lead to increased metal shavings in the oil? Which mods cause that?
Not necessarily, but a person that decides to randomly turn up boost without supporting mods puts added stress on the motor parts. An engine slightly out of balance can wear parts more than normal that could show up as shavings of metal in oil filter or on the magnetic tip of drain plug if equipped. Detonation is the one I'd be most concerned about. This can be seen as little putting marks on top of the pistons. Not all pistons will have equal detonation as it is a combination of timing, fueling, and cooling. In short, be mindful, and buy modded cars from trusted folks. There's nothing wrong with buying a modded car, and can save you a boatload of money if done well. It can cost you a boatload if done poorly.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #13
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I'd feel more comfortable buying from the owner that did the mods rather than take the dealer's word for what the owner did and said. Even then ppi is a must. The mods list above wouldn't scare me off but add in more complicated mods like turbo upgrade and I wouldn't be interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Not necessarily, but a person that decides to randomly turn up boost without supporting mods puts added stress on the motor parts. An engine slightly out of balance can wear parts more than normal that could show up as shavings of metal in oil filter or on the magnetic tip of drain plug if equipped. Detonation is the one I'd be most concerned about. This can be seen as little putting marks on top of the pistons. Not all pistons will have equal detonation as it is a combination of timing, fueling, and cooling. In short, be mindful, and buy modded cars from trusted folks. There's nothing wrong with buying a modded car, and can save you a boatload of money if done well. It can cost you a boatload if done poorly.
When you tune, you're really only changing the target boost though. The DME safety features are still in place which limit boost and timing when it sees values hit a BMW determined safe threshold, like IAT too high etc. These safety features prevent anything like what you're talking about from happening. And this is all before the car goes into limp mode, which is an additional safety feature that protects hardware.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I'm searching for a manual 2018 LCI M2. There's one for sale at a good price ($45k) at a nearby independent dealer with 6,800 miles and the following mods: M Performance Carbon Fiber Front and Rear Winglets, Mirror Caps, Rear Deck Spoiler, Eibach Pro-Kit Sport Springs, Goodridge G-Stop Stainless Braided Brake Lines, K&N Filter, Racewerks Intercooler to Throttle Body Charge Pipe, Wagner Evo II Competition Intercooler, Front and Rear M2 2 Piece Rotors, Ceramic Front and Rear Brake Pads.

I asked the dealer whether it had been chipped and they said no. I asked why the prior (2nd) owner had modded the car and traded so quickly. They said the owner is a friend of the dealer who traded in a track prepped Miata; he modded the M2 to get it track ready, but liked his Miata better, so he ended up trading the M2 back. Supposedly the prior owner never ended up tracking the M2 (who knows if that's true). Based upon the Carfax, the 2nd owner added 2000 miles before trading it back to this dealer.

I've read the horror story post about someone purchasing a modded M2 and learning that the warranty had been voided. I would definitely get it inspected by a BMW dealer before purchasing, to ensure there are no ECU or warranty issues.

What do you all think about the mods? Would a dealer void the warranty due to the intercooler mod? Other than the Eibach springs (which I would want changed back to stock), the other mods seem to be pretty reasonable.
That's a great intercooler though.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #16
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Mods look OK

I had a choice b/w two M2s with the 6MT at the same price w/ similar mileage. One was stock and one was modded. Both were in like new condition.

The modded car was the one I picked. Yes, it is a bit of a gamble.

The brakes were not discolored from heat. The wheels and tires were in great shape. The modded car was posted on a local enthusiasts list (not here) and nobody called BS on "excellent" and "never tracked". No chips or rubber bits anywhere on the car.

The modded car had most of the parts that I would have added anyway. Close enough :-)

What I did not do, and may come to regret it, is have a shop drop the codes and look for over-revs. Who knows if there was one or many money shifts? I suppose I should do this now. Better late than never. Drives great. Gambled... do it now or do it right. Chose now.

This car you are looking at has been sitting for > three months? This says something about the market for modded M-cars. IIRC, a 1M w/ 38K miles on bringatrailer w/ mods and track time sold for ~$40k in late 2019. A dealer purchased it and posted it for $60K. There is a market for modded cars. It's just smaller.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

To piggyback on to some of the statements made above...it really depends on several things. If you are planning on getting the car and modding it yourself, then it may be worthwhile to find one that has been modded/spec'd the way you were planning on doing it. I would also agree that if that's the route you want to go to buy privately and not thru a dealer as they will basically be guessing on the history of the car. Getting a car that is modded to your liking could save you a lot of money and time. If stock is for you, then there are plenty of options out there. I disagree with the assertion that people who mod their cars do in strictly to "hoon" or beat on their cars. My M2 has the typical mod upgrades (Sport cat, exhaust, Intercooler, charge pipe and a stage 2 tune from VF) and it's never been tracked and never been thrashed about on public streets. I wanted the additional power because in my opinion it lacked a little midrange punch out of the box...I always felt like I needed some more for spirited driving. The car spends all of its life in my garage, comes out on sunny days and isnt driven in the winter. It's about as babied as a car can be babied without being a true garage queen. So my advice is to talk to the owner, get their take. You may find a diamond.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 01:59 PM   #18
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Honestly thecar doesnt sound like a bad buy. The mods themselves dont touch the power and the intercooler is there to help with the heat soak that the LCI is known for on the track. Other mods are all OEM stuff or visual, and those can either be removed and sold or just kept for looks. The only thing i dont like are the eibach springs as i've always been more of a coilover guy. But that shouldnt be too hard to essentially get the dealer to knock off the amount it would take for OEM springs to be re-installed. Personally i'd buy it. But i also plan on modding my M2C once i get it.
Appreciate 0