BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Has anyone removed secondary cats and resonator?

06-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Has anyone removed secondary cats and resonator?

Referencing the US spec here.

The stock exhaust has two secondary cats and a big resonator box in the midpipe before the muffler.

As far as I know, the AA midpipe deletes the secondary cats and resonator and replaces it with a single, 3.5" pipe, correct?

As an alternative, has anyone simply cut out the resonator and secondary cats to replace them with straight piping? If so, how does it sound?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Referencing the US spec here.

The stock exhaust has two secondary cats and a big resonator box in the midpipe before the muffler.

As far as I know, the AA midpipe deletes the secondary cats and resonator and replaces it with a single, 3.5" pipe, correct?

As an alternative, has anyone simply cut out the resonator and secondary cats to replace them with straight piping? If so, how does it sound?
Just had the AA mid installed like 2 hours ago.

The mid section does quite a bit for silencing the car

It really takes virtually all of the sharp tone out of the exhaust's audio profile

It sounds like you're thinking of something other than the aa mid so I can't really speak on just cutting out the secondary's and the resonator.

But it's definitely worth every penny for the aa mid.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #3
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post

It really takes virtually all of the sharp tone out of the exhaust's audio profile

It sounds like you're thinking of something other than the aa mid so I can't really speak on just cutting out the secondary's and the resonator.

did you have to get a tune to put the mid pipe in or is there no CEL?

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Quote:

did you have to get a tune to put the mid pipe in or is there no CEL?
No CEL
No tune
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
No CEL
No tune
sweet - I am close to AA I will drop by and have them install!

Current: 2022 M3 CompX, 2024 M2 6-Spd
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKParris View Post
Quote:
No CEL
No tune
sweet - I am close to AA I will drop by and have them install!
Have you heard the Equal length mid pipe they're developing?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 02:17 AM   #7
Bass_Masterson
RIP E39
Rep
Drives: 95 T/A, 08 GL450, 20 M2C 6MT

US spec model - I initially installed cat-less downpipes and had both secondary cats and the resonator removed - stock muffler left in place. I liked it because it sounded pretty good with the valves open but was still pretty quiet with them closed. However, with the valves closed, there was a slight metallic vibration at around 1700 RPM under moderate load. No big deal. Well, after around 1000 miles, the valves continued to loosen up. It started buzzing and rattling at nearly any RPM under load, even with the valves open. I just had the valves removed and the muffler gutted two weeks ago. It is the way to go. Much cheaper than buying and installing a built system, and I think it sounds better. It's quite loud, though, so if that's an issue, steer clear. I also just disabled active sound today. What a difference. So much quieter in the cabin under all conditions, sounds much more natural. Also no more fake burbles. It now naturally releases a short, snarly salvo of pops when I transition off the throttle between shifts, and it rumbles down on deceleration from about 1700 to 1000 RPM. I am also running BM3 Stage 2 (AGG) 93 octane tune. I never was fond of the S55's exhaust note, but I can say I love how mine sounds now. It's how it's meant to be. Aggressive, loud, and non-synthetic.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Masterson View Post
US spec model - I initially installed cat-less downpipes and had both secondary cats and the resonator removed - stock muffler left in place. I liked it because it sounded pretty good with the valves open but was still pretty quiet with them closed. However, with the valves closed, there was a slight metallic vibration at around 1700 RPM under moderate load. No big deal. Well, after around 1000 miles, the valves continued to loosen up. It started buzzing and rattling at nearly any RPM under load, even with the valves open. I just had the valves removed and the muffler gutted two weeks ago. It is the way to go. Much cheaper than buying and installing a built system, and I think it sounds better. It's quite loud, though, so if that's an issue, steer clear. I also just disabled active sound today. What a difference. So much quieter in the cabin under all conditions, sounds much more natural. Also no more fake burbles. It now naturally releases a short, snarly salvo of pops when I transition off the throttle between shifts, and it rumbles down on deceleration from about 1700 to 1000 RPM. I am also running BM3 Stage 2 (AGG) 93 octane tune. I never was fond of the S55's exhaust note, but I can say I love how mine sounds now. It's how it's meant to be. Aggressive, loud, and non-synthetic.
Awesome. Do you have any videos?

Did you just replace the resonator with two independent straight pipes or did you build an x-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #9
Bass_Masterson
RIP E39
Rep
Drives: 95 T/A, 08 GL450, 20 M2C 6MT

Yes, the secondary cats and resonator were replaced with separate straight pipes. No x or h-pipe. A balance point may give better exhaust note, but it doesn't really have any performance benefit on a turbocharged engine, so I didn't do it.
I do have a few videos! The mods are in the description.

The buzzing is pretty obvious, but it got much worse over time. I need to make some new videos with the current setup (no valves, empty muffler, active sound disabled. Those burbles are ridiculous and serve no purpose).
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:18 PM   #10
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Masterson View Post
Yes, the secondary cats and resonator were replaced with separate straight pipes. No x or h-pipe. A balance point may give better exhaust note, but it doesn't really have any performance benefit on a turbocharged engine, so I didn't do it.
I do have a few videos! The mods are in the description.

The buzzing is pretty obvious, but it got much worse over time. I need to make some new videos with the current setup (no valves, empty muffler, active sound disabled. Those burbles are ridiculous and serve no purpose).
This sounds great. Thanks for the videos and the information.
Appreciate 0