BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > buying a demo car?

08-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #111
maxrev30
Private
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, 85 1uz v8 yota pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
From what I understand, DCTs is not so elegant in take off because unlike a clutch pedal, you have to feather gas, which sometimes can be lurchy
No. That only affects weirdos that drive in traffic in sport modes. Set it to eco with level 1 shift speed and there is no lurching. You can just tap the throttle and it will do the same creep mode as BMWs hybrid manual. It's pretty good really. Different to an auto as it won't creep forward when you take your foot off the brake. In fact it will roll backwards after a while if you do this if you are on a hill.
haha i just found that out today! it will 100% roll backwards on a hill. also eco mode in any shift setting is fantastic in stop and go traffic which i was in for the first time today. But as far as sport+ mode it's still so enjoyable to drive even though its more lurchy. Also launch control works wonders. I also find it bad ass that you can control the launching rpm with the cruise control!
Appreciate 1
Davil6523.00
      08-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #112
maxrev30
Private
Rep

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/C37OphfSZp2N

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/ZlwjvADaE72N

Some high res photos that this app won't handle lol
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #113
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
The only thing I (dont) miss is mashing the clutch all day. The DCT is a great driving experience.
I have had similar experiences in my X5 and X4 automatics. Nothing special about the DCT or "fine control"
What I'm referring to is in the video below at 3:30 & 4:10:

And at 5:50:

Never experienced any lurching with BMWs automatic or manual, neither did anyone seem to mention it. I believe it's unique to DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I have zero problems with fine control in traffic with my DCT. And Seattle had (pre-COVID) lots of stop and go traffic.
Quote:
Quote:
From what I understand, DCTs is not so elegant in take off because unlike a clutch pedal, you have to feather gas, which sometimes can be lurchy
No. That only affects weirdos that drive in traffic in sport modes. Set it to eco with level 1 shift speed and there is no lurching. You can just tap the throttle and it will do the same creep mode as BMWs hybrid manual. It's pretty good really. Different to an auto as it won't creep forward when you take your foot off the brake. In fact it will roll backwards after a while if you do this if you are on a hill.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #114
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. That's precisely what I was saying. You have to go out of your way to get the car to do this. But I guess it makes good YouTubes.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      08-11-2020, 02:05 AM   #115
maxrev30
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The only thing I (dont) miss is mashing the clutch all day. The DCT is a great driving experience.
I have had similar experiences in my X5 and X4 automatics. Nothing special about the DCT or "fine control"

And at 5:50:

Never experienced any lurching with BMWs automatic or manual, neither did anyone seem to mention it. I believe it's unique to DCT.

Quote:
I have zero problems with fine control in traffic with my DCT. And Seattle had (pre-COVID) lots of stop and go traffic.
Quote:
Quote:
My cousins manual audi rs4 does this when accelerating and not modulating the throttle properly and it definitely can be a pain in the ass. now obviously that's a manual audi, but as far as the DCT is concerned in that video it's because he's starting to accelerate then when he lets off, the car dives hard enough for him to hit the accelerator again and it perpetually gets worse until either you let off all together or floor it. It's more of a shitty driver than anything to be honest. same thing applies with the Rs4 though. Being as it's a v8 and the power comes on instantly the same thing happens. Where as in our cars say a manual, the power doesn't come on super hard like that being as it's turbo'd. (unless of course you're in 1st gear rolling at a decent rpm where it can be finiky). Not to say the dct is better than manual or vise versa just throwing in my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 02:26 AM   #116
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxrev30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My cousins manual audi rs4 does this when accelerating and not modulating the throttle properly and it definitely can be a pain in the ass. now obviously that's a manual audi, but as far as the DCT is concerned in that video it's because he's starting to accelerate then when he lets off, the car dives hard enough for him to hit the accelerator again and it perpetually gets worse until either you let off all together or floor it. It's more of a shitty driver than anything to be honest. same thing applies with the Rs4 though. Being as it's a v8 and the power comes on instantly the same thing happens. Where as in our cars say a manual, the power doesn't come on super hard like that being as it's turbo'd. (unless of course you're in 1st gear rolling at a decent rpm where it can be finiky). Not to say the dct is better than manual or vise versa just throwing in my 2 cents.
So what you guys are saying is the DCT gives you the main drawback of owning a manual, namely the jerky take off/ stalling, when not properly finessed, without the benefit of a clutch pedal to modulate the moving power.

I can smoothly and effortlessly back out my car, out of my driveway or creep in traffic, with just the clutch pedal, no gas or no hands, even with Sport+++ engaged.

It's really amazing and a breeze to drive, even in gridlock. Feathering the gas pedal is only necessary when you need to start moving above 20mph.. Anyone with a manual BMW or Mini can attest to this, it's not just M cars..

I'm not taking sides either, I'm pass the manual and DCT pissing match, as they just go around in circles, like a dog chasing its tail but merely pointing out the nuances of the manual transmission seamless "clutch-control" operation.

And I can understand why they're phasing out the DCT, when the ZF8 can accomplish the same task, hold more torque, is more smoother, luxurious feeling, all with a lower production cost and warranty risk.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #117
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
So what you guys are saying is the DCT gives you the main drawback of owning a manual, namely the jerky take off/ stalling, when not properly finessed, without the benefit of a clutch pedal to modulate the moving power.
No. Not even close to reality.
Appreciate 1