BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 Extreme Engine Cooling

11-06-2023, 11:03 AM   #529
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
One thing I did notice as a difference is that I can see light through the VRSF (as seen in the picture, too). I believe I read somewhere that the CSF intercooler has an offset fin design (unless I am remembering another brand - I can't see through my CSF though...) so it would seem that air might not travel through the CSF as fast (even though it has a "rounded bar and plate" design on the front face). Not sure about the potential impacts to that - guessing it'll block more air as air makes its way to the AC condenser and radiator.
I don’t think any of that is necessary, I did read about a guy who installed the Race on the M2 and that was never mentioned, nor were any cooling issues.

I’ve attached some issues from my RACE, I don’t remember it being see through, and I think the find are offset. I could be wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      03-23-2024, 03:14 PM   #530
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Another update:

Was out at Summit Point Main yesterday and hit a new PB of 1:19.8, which is the fastest street tire (RE-71RS) M2 time I know of and just a couple tenths off the fastest slick tire times. If I fixed a couple mistakes and had fresh rubber, would be in the 18s and prob the M2 record on that track. Not bad for a non-stripped out daily driver.

Here's a Summit Point log: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=65fd...363507f17cda28
And my last outing at NJMP: https://bootmod3.net/log?id=64e79931d10b430714658c01

Notes
-This time I ran a slightly boosted version of the newer Stg 2+ Mutlimap OTS map. Guessing I was 450-455whp in the NJMP log with the current OTS, 465-470whp in the Summit Point log (I was fast enough to hang in the draft on the straight of a last gen 911 Turbo S tuned to ~600hp).
-Still running glycol b/c of sub-freezing night temps here
-Still cooler ambient weather, so still no idea how the car will handle higher summer temps with water + wetter
-Now running Bad Ass Racing oil 5W-40 vs Motul 300V 10W-40
-Using a more aggressive front pad compound, so more aggressive braking

General observations:
-Ambient temps were about 20F lower for Summit vs NJMP
-Top speed was ~10mph higher at Summit
-IATs remained in check with highest constant WOT delta of 35F (30F at NJMP). More power, and longer straight away at Summit...
-WGDC staying mid-80s on average
-Peak coolant and oil temps are similar between the two logs. At Summit, 258F peak oil temp (perfectly fine), 253F peak coolant temp (still too high)
-Coolant stays in the 242-253F range during hot laps

So, absent more data I'm guessing coolant temps will go too high in the summer at faster tracks like Summit, WGI, etc. Still need a warmer day when able to run water + wetter (vs glycol) to determine the outcome.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-23-2024 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 3
F87source7239.50
M2guru383.50
      03-23-2024, 04:18 PM   #531
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Another update:

Was out at Summit Point Main yesterday and hit a new PB of 1:19.8, which is the fastest street tire (RE-71RS) M2 time I know of and just a couple tenths off the fastest slick tire times. If I fixed a couple mistakes and had fresh rubber, would be in the 18s and prob the M2 record on that track. Not bad for a non-stripped out daily driver.

Here's a Summit Point log: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=65fd...363507f17cda28
And my last outing at NJMP: https://bootmod3.net/log?id=64e79931d10b430714658c01

Notes
-This time I ran a slightly boosted version of the newer Stg 2+ Mutlimap OTS map. Guessing I was 450-455whp in the NJMP log with the current OTS, 465-470whp in the Summit Point log (I was fast enough to hang in the draft on the straight of a last gen 911 Turbo S tuned to ~600hp).
-Still running glycol b/c of sub-freezing night temps here
-Still cooler ambient weather, so still no idea how the car will handle higher summer temps with water + wetter
-Now running Bad Ass Racing oil 5W-40 vs Motul 300V 10W-40
-Using a more aggressive front pad compound, so more aggressive braking

General observations:
-Ambient temps were about 20F lower for Summit vs NJMP
-Top speed was ~10mph higher at Summit
-IATs remained in check with highest constant WOT delta of 35F (30F at NJMP). More power, and longer straight away at Summit...
-WGDC staying mid-80s on average
-Peak coolant and oil temps are similar between the two logs. At Summit, 258F peak oil temp (perfectly fine), 253F peak coolant temp (still too high)
-Coolant stays in the 242-253F range during hot laps

So, absent more data I'm guessing coolant temps will go too high in the summer at faster tracks like Summit, WGI, etc. Still need a warmer day when able to run water + wetter (vs glycol) to determine the outcome.
Haha nice to hear the awesome laptimes!

The issue is that the m2's radiator is just so fricken small, it's hard to tell in photos but if you've ever held one in real life, it brings to perspective just how small it is. Even compared to some other cars and their radiator, the n55 just has an unacceptably small radiator, and even worse all the air that feeds it is primarily from the tiny kidney grilles. Because the radiator primarily sits above the lower opening.
      03-23-2024, 06:54 PM   #532
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Haha nice to hear the awesome laptimes!

The issue is that the m2's radiator is just so fricken small, it's hard to tell in photos but if you've ever held one in real life, it brings to perspective just how small it is. Even compared to some other cars and their radiator, the n55 just has an unacceptably small radiator, and even worse all the air that feeds it is primarily from the tiny kidney grilles. Because the radiator primarily sits above the lower opening.
Yeah, and bc I already have all the largest bolt on coolers and don’t want to deal with any custom cooling on a daily driver, all I can think to do is free up airflow to the radiator (or turn down the juice).

Will see how she does with summer temps and water + wetter.
Appreciate 1
F87source7239.50
      03-23-2024, 07:53 PM   #533
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Yeah, and bc I already have all the largest bolt on coolers and don’t want to deal with any custom cooling on a daily driver, all I can think to do is free up airflow to the radiator (or turn down the juice).

Will see how she does with summer temps and water + wetter.
That is true, you do have the best coolers on the market (d088).

At this point you might want to consider either cutting the lower front bumper opening larger like tyspeed. Or adding water sprayers:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4OOy...RlODBiNWFlZA==

BM3 is coming out with their new rev 2 board and custom rom v2 that allows the control of a water meth pump and solenoid. You can utilize this to spray the radiators when going WOT or however you want to define the tuning. This allows for automated spraying.

Or you can have a cheaper solution which is using a hobbs switch to trigger the meth pump when on boost.

Or an even cheaper solution which is to redirect the windshield sprayers to the radiators and use that to spray when you hold down the wiper arm.

Just some ideas

But I do hope you solve the issue.

On a side note I saw you post something about fuel starvation on a different thread. I believe you can utilize the new bm3 rev2 board to control additional fuel pumps as well. So you can probably utilize that in a fuel transfer system strategy or for larger lpfp control. Just an idea.
ZM22810.50
      03-24-2024, 12:51 PM   #534
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Thanks for sharing your data! Looking at Summit:

Is the gearbox temp actual? When I was looking at that datapoint last year for my car I was convinced that it was extrapolated from coolant temp, but your data shows otherwise.

I am seeing 40 delta in IAT vs. ambient. Much better than my 50 with the CSF (looking forward to this year with the VRSF Race). Which IC do you have?

Again, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      03-24-2024, 01:11 PM   #535
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Thanks for sharing your data! Looking at Summit:

Is the gearbox temp actual? When I was looking at that datapoint last year for my car I was convinced that it was extrapolated from coolant temp, but your data shows otherwise.

I am seeing 40 delta in IAT vs. ambient. Much better than my 50 with the CSF (looking forward to this year with the VRSF Race). Which IC do you have?

Again, thanks for sharing!
Gearbox temp is actual, at least on DCT, so that internal fluid temps can be monitored and disengage the clutches if temps go too high (~265F+). IDK about 6MT.

I'm using the Wagner Evo3 FMIC.

There's always a quick spike in IAT in the braking zone at the end of the straight away (40F delta above ambient in my case), but that's inconsequential b/c no power is needed when braking and IATs drop instantly afterwards as soon as you get back on the throttle and start moving air again. So, I always focus on the IAT delta at Vmax at the end of the straightaway b/c that's the most heat load the IC will need to shed under WOT during a lap (35F above ambient in my case).

I do remember seeing a 55F delta with your CSF (hot!) while running much lower power than me. Definitely interested to see how your Pure 750 setup performs (prob similar power as me but on pump gas, and should generate less heat) and the VRSF Race, and if you can keep your engine cool at that power level.

When's your first track day this year?

Last edited by ZM2; 03-24-2024 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
F87source7239.50
M2guru383.50
      03-25-2024, 06:23 AM   #536
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
When's your first track day this year?
April 27 and 28. I have a lot of new stuff going on so hopefully I can mentally manage: towing with a new (used) truck and a new trailer for the first time. Breaking down at the track at the last event last year and leaving the car at the track was not something that I am interested in doing again.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50