BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My BMW M2 Competition was stolen - See how (VIDEO)

03-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #89
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
These will help. Put the key in it and the signal is completely blocked. If your living situation doesn't allow to have the keys far enough away from potential hijackers this is much better than nothing!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=car+key+p...b_sb_ss_i_3_10
This thread has me wondering how far the keys have to be from exterior windows/walls/doors in order to NOT be detected by the suitcase thieves. Anyone know?
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 02:30 PM   #90
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
These will help. Put the key in it and the signal is completely blocked. If your living situation doesn't allow to have the keys far enough away from potential hijackers this is much better than nothing!

This thread has me wondering how far the keys have to be from exterior windows/walls/doors in order to NOT be detected by the suitcase thieves. Anyone know?
Hard to say depends on the construction of the building the keys are inside.

I place my keys in my gun safe, knowing there is zero chance of transmitting a signal.
      03-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #91
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 535i MSport View Post
Quote:
If someone come to my house at night, it's over! We live in the U.S. and we have guns under our pillows
Some guns can be held legally in the U.K. I have a Mossberg and a few others, but if someone did manage to start my car and the exhaust woke me, I suspect the car would be moving by the time I got outside. So the dilemma would be do I shoot at my own car?
Replacing glasses on an M2 is cheap
Is it you, Dirty Harry ?

[VIDEOS]
The old ones are the best!

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #92
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

The key fob range is pretty far, I could lock/unlock my car from inside the mall to the parking lot, which is like 500ft, give or take.

However, BMWs doesn't get stolen like that, here in the US.

Most cars get stolen here because the idiot owner left the key fob, in the car..

I know of this guy who left his Tesla Model S in his driveway, with the key in it. Some kids stole it and then just ditched when it ran out of battery charge. And that's a typical car theft story here, with the advent of modern automotive security, such as the immobilized chip. It's not as "Gone In 60 Seconds" as the guys in the video.

Those thieves that stole that M2 knew what they when for and what they were doing. That can was going get a new key fob, re-vin and probably shipped out to Dubai, for immediate sale.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      03-13-2020, 02:40 PM   #93
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I place my keys in my gun safe, knowing there is zero chance of transmitting a signal.
Almost as annoying, there have been a spate of wheel thefts in the U.K. over the last 12 months or so. Thieves moving across the country, stealing several sets a night while people sleep.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #94
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Quote:
If someone come to my house at night, it's over! We live in the U.S. and we have guns under our pillows
Some guns can be held legally in the U.K. I have a Mossberg and a few others, but if someone did manage to start my car and the exhaust woke me, I suspect the car would be moving by the time I got outside. So the dilemma would be do I shoot at my own car?
What you willing to go take someone's life over your $50k insured car? If you stick a gun in someone's face you better be willing to pull the trigger... personally I wouldn't want that on my
conscience, if they're not in my house they're not a threat.. they can have it.
      03-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #95
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What you willing to go take someone's life over your $50k insured car? If you stick a gun in someone's face you better be willing to pull the trigger... personally I wouldn't want that on my
Suggest you re-read my last sentence. I said it was a dilemma. 🤔

Having served in the military, I understand what pulling a trigger does.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #96
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Suggest you re-read my last sentence
Even worse, you'll get done for homicide if you shoot at them as they're leaving. Not really directing it at you just in general. We have stand your ground laws stateside where you can legally shoot people if you feel threatened out in public, it's ridiculous. I'm pro-gun but hate the thought of people killing others over stealing your car out of your driveway.
      03-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #97
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Best way to prevent it, sell your m2
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #98
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Suggest you re-read my last sentence
Even worse, you'll get done for homicide if you shoot at them as they're leaving. Not really directing it at you just in general. We have stand your ground laws stateside where you can legally shoot people if you feel threatened out in public, it's ridiculous. I'm pro-gun but hate the thought of people killing others over stealing your car out of your driveway.
No problem. Knowing my luck, I would fall down the stairs on the way...

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 2
SAMM3Y3085.00
Poochie9099.00
      03-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #99
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Lmao!!
      03-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #100
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Before YouTube became commercialize and heavily censored, they use of allow videos of unbridled violence.

I remember I saw this one video from Dominican Republic of a child molester being lined up against the wall and shot 40 something times..

Trust me, watching a human life leave and left their body and yet still flinching, after each shot, is a disturbing imagine I could never erase.

After that, I realize shooting or killing another person could never be my thing, regardless of the circumstances, as there are less barbaric manners of extracting revenge.

I know some of you gun owner are exaggerating but maybe others needs to really wittiness what it's like, to take the life of another, if they believe it's anything like the movies, where you could turn off the TV afterwards.
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      03-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #101
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

PSA, force (Via gun or other weapon) is only authorized to protect yourself or another from death or serious bodily injury. Force must stop once the threat is over. Translation, protect yourself but don't just smoke some fool!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #102
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Almost as annoying, there have been a spate of wheel thefts in the U.K. over the last 12 months or so. Thieves moving across the country, stealing several sets a night while people sleep.
I have 20 wheel locks, one on each lug-nut.

I hate thieves.

03-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #103
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

My aunt in Hinckley, UK has had hers boosted three times this way with the suitcase method. The last attempt they couldn't wake the key so broke into the house to try and find it. Little did they know my Uncle is a 22 stone bodybuilding Ex county boxing champion who sorted them right out! Not only did they not get the key but 2 of the 3 of them got their ass beat by a naked 60 something old man with a good old Louisville slugger he purposely purchased, Haha.

I think stateside you don't see as much organized crime boosting cars because as others have said it's harder to get the cars out the country and most crime is done by druggies looking for whatever they can steal or cars that aren't so smart like old Honda's. More people have garages too stateside not detached "sheds". Also "everyone and their mums are carrying over here" cat burglary is definitely less of a thing in the states. I'm rambling I know, glad OP got his car back now I'm going for a pint and I'll cheers ya.
      03-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #104
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have 20 wheel locks, one on each lug-nut.

I hate thieves.

https://eu.rimgard.com/products/bmw?...29143450779726

Unfortunately they don't currently do one that fits M666 wheels

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      03-14-2020, 02:53 AM   #105
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

I bought a $10 key blocker bag that my key goes in every night (with the spare). Best money spent!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 05:22 AM   #106
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

This makes me angry, the degradation of society continues.....
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #107
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
That's why I always store my key fob in an rfid shield
Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      03-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #108
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
That's why I always store my key fob in an rfid shield
Inexpensive peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #109
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

As others have said, use a faraday pouch. Mine goes everywhere with me. As soon as I'm out of my car and it's locked, my display key goes in the pouch.

Car also has a tracker fitted.

At night the key is in the pouch and in a metal tin next to my bed. I sleep with window open (car on drive) below. House is alarmed, CCTV and internal door locks on downstairs doors. Patlock on conservatory doors.

I do what I can, hoping that potential thieves would consider Alarm and CCTV would mean they move on to someone else's property which may be an easier target.

I have caught (on CCTV) people trying car doors on our street, in the hope that someone has left their car unlocked, so I won't take any chances.

OP I'm glad you got your car back I love the M2 it's a great car and why it's so desirable I suppose.

Remain vigilant and be cool, after all we are all insured but let's not make it easy for these scumbags!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #110
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

This was the main reason I didn't spec comfort access, that and I'm not a fan of it anyway.

No worries about this kind of theft
Appreciate 0