BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > direction of rotation implausible

08-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
jpowgoburr
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

direction of rotation implausible

Got a used 27,000 mile 2017 M2 last year. Less than 3000 miles of babied driving I got a check engine light. OBD2 pulled ambient temp sensor. https://www.autocodes.com/p10ea_bmw.html

Went to the dealer; dealer said they found a tune and denied my warranty. Then they pulled a "crankshaft sensor plausible; direction of rotation implausible." They want 2.5k to check "crankshaft bolt-check valve timing" to start. The tech said that a tune can make the crankshaft bolt loose.

The car ran exactly same before and after the check engine light. I'm having the dealer put the original software back. My question is, should I go through with dealer recommendation on the crankshaft?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #2
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

So you bought it with the tune? Did you buy it from an individual or BMW dealer. If the latter, you have a good argument if you didn't tune it.

I would personally get a second opinion or find a friend with a BMW capable scan tool or software. I use a $230 Foxwell and that gets me most BMW specific functions. Then confirm the codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

What direction did you take? What was the outcome?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:05 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

"direction of rotation implausible" is such a funny description to me. It's like your crankshaft did a rotation on the z axis. Started doing summersaults instead of barrel rolls. And the computer got so confused all it could say is "direction of rotation implausible" lol
Appreciate 0