BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 1st gear pop out

12-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #23
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
The thing is there's nothing they can do unless it's a repeatable issue, and the stealerships don't care about slight issues with the car, it has to be a major issue before they act.

I've driven a few other F series n55 and m3/m4s with the 6mt and they all had notchiness in a few gears, so there's nothing I can do about that. I've experienced 0 cases of lockouts while up shifting or downshift (except into reverse while moving and into 1st above 20kmp/h which is normal), so there is pretty much no complaining from me except I want to check the clutch stop theory.

Plus imo my local BMW dealer is full of incompetent service managers who can't get anything done. Well atleast the ones I've met anyways.

Calling the corporate gets the dealers off their asses in my experience. I have had two issues that were not repeatable (one took speed over 90 mph). In both cases I elevated the situation to corporate and they magically came up with a fix. For US based owners you need to preserve your rights to a lemon law claim and you do that by bringing it to the dealer and giving them the chance to fix it. Number of times varies but most States require 3 visits for the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 06:44 AM   #24
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Calling the corporate gets the dealers off their asses in my experience. I have had two issues that were not repeatable (one took speed over 90 mph). In both cases I elevated the situation to corporate and they magically came up with a fix. For US based owners you need to preserve your rights to a lemon law claim and you do that by bringing it to the dealer and giving them the chance to fix it. Number of times varies but most States require 3 visits for the same issue.
Yeah if it gets worse I'll contact BMW Canada. In the mean time it really isn't that bad, just some notchiness is all. Which is pretty normal on all manuals from what I have experienced. If gears start looking out or popping out I'll definitely get it fixed.

Thanks again for your insight.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #25
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Clutch Stop Users BEWARE!!!!

First off I want to say if it wasn't for your guys on this forum I would likely still have issues but alas they are resolved so thank you.

Secondly, I was using the BMS clutch stop with two rubber washers and after replacing it with the stock one two things happened.

1.) I no longer have 1st gear lockout from a complete stop which I have been complaining about for a while now.

2.) When changing gears from 1st to 2nd at high revs no more grinding/difficulties engaging second. All gone.

Glad I was able to get this rectified before real damage took place to the transmission.

That is my word of warning/public service announcement.

Happy driving!
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      12-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #26
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I don't have an aftermarket clutch stop and I occasionally get that 1st gear lock out problem you described so it kinda seems unrelated. Maybe the clutch stop exacerbates the problem but it's definitely not the main culprit.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #27
Spartan King
MOLON LABE
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

I have the BMS clutch stop also with all washers installed and don’t have or have ever had any of these issues. I believe that each M2 is slightly different than the next in regard to clutch engagement. Using more or less washers in your setup might be the difference between having problems or being good to go.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1655.00
      12-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #28
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Good announcement! I ditched mine, too. I think others will likely do the same or start to have similar problems. Each car is different and mileage will vary, but if there is any clutch drag introduced by the clutch stop, that's not a good thing for clutch or synchro wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #29
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Been using Clutch Stop for almost three years with absolutely NO issues. Best bang for the buck ever!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:46 PM   #30
OperationSunset
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW M2C | '18 Tesla 3P

Sorry for pulling this thread back up from the dead but I did want to provide another data point for the BMS clutch stop vs 6MT issues.

I had the exact same issue with my 21 M2C as the OP.

The car would engage 1st and pop out under a teansy bit of load pulling away from a stop sign.

This morning I removed the BMS clutch stop and haven't had the gear pop out yet today. So far, so good...can only keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:38 PM   #31
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationSunset View Post
Sorry for pulling this thread back up from the dead but I did want to provide another data point for the BMS clutch stop vs 6MT issues.

I had the exact same issue with my 21 M2C as the OP.

The car would engage 1st and pop out under a teansy bit of load pulling away from a stop sign.

This morning I removed the BMS clutch stop and haven't had the gear pop out yet today. So far, so good...can only keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way.

Any luck? I am thinking is a synchro issue... I'll try removing my clutch stop though if it worked for others.
Appreciate 0