BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 1st gear pop out

11-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #1
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

1st gear pop out

Has your fist gear ever popped out back into neutral? This happened to me this morning leaving for work when the car was cold. I heard a loud “pop” and at first thought it was suspension or wheel related then realized my gear shifter was in neutral. It was engaged in first because I was pulling away from the light slowly turning left then “pop”, out it came. This can’t be good.

I had some first gear engagement issues before that mostly are taken care of by going into second gear before engaging first. But this was the first time it came out of gear on its own.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #2
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Oh no sad to see this happening on the M2 as well! Was an issue on my 135 for the past few years and shop said it's most likely likely synchro but nothing to be concerned avout.

It is a loud shudder and sometimes it would feel like car just got hit! Needless to say it stopped me from launching hard in first which I guess is a good thing given the challenges in laying down 1-2 gears in Ernest

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Has your fist gear ever popped out back into neutral? This happened to me this morning leaving for work when the car was cold. I heard a loud “pop” and at first thought it was suspension or wheel related then realized my gear shifter was in neutral. It was engaged in first because I was pulling away from the light slowly turning left then “pop”, out it came. This can’t be good.

I had some first gear engagement issues before that mostly are taken care of by going into second gear before engaging first. But this was the first time it came out of gear on its own.
How many miles are on your car? Did this only happen once? Have over 13,000 miles on mine and never experienced this. I have had this happen on other manuals when the gears were not fully engaged, and popped out. BTW, how do you go into second gear before engaging first? I don't think this is anything to worry about if it only happened once. If it happens more than that maybe clutch needs slight adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
My guess is you didn't have it fully in gear and it popped out as a result. I've experienced 1st gear not wanting to fully engage on occasion. All you have to do is slowly let the clutch out while continuing to push into 1st and it will pop into place. I think it's synchro misalignment that causes that.
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      11-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
My guess is you didn't have it fully in gear and it popped out as a result. I've experienced 1st gear not wanting to fully engage on occasion. All you have to do is slowly let the clutch out while continuing to push into 1st and it will pop into place. I think it's synchro misalignment that causes that.
I have 6000 miles. First gear has always been a problem in my car. It will lock out 2 to 3 times a day during stop light to stop light commute to from work and to the gym. Now I push clutch in go into second then straight up into first and it seems to match up the gears more consistently. This pop out happened once so far. Maybe it was not fully engaged but I don’t want to keep making excuses for the gear box and overlook an actual problem.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      11-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I have 6000 miles. First gear has always been a problem in my car. It will lock out 2 to 3 times a day during stop light to stop light commute to from work and to the gym. Now I push clutch in go into second then straight up into first and it seems to match up the gears more consistently. This pop out happened once so far. Maybe it was not fully engaged but I don't want to keep making excuses for the gear box and overlook an actual problem.
I feel you. If it happens again I'd head over to a dealer and complain.
      11-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
I feel you. If it happens again I'd head over to a dealer and complain.
I agree. I've had the pop out happen on other cars, it was never anything of concern and seemed as random as a bug hitting the windshield. But definitely worth mentioning to the service advisor at your next oil change if you're continually having trouble engaging first gear. At least you're being smart about it, re-engaging by going 2nd to 1st and not just mailing it in and trying to start from 2nd and wearing your clutch.
Appreciate 1
coaxial21.00
      11-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #8
jason86
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI (AW)

Happened to me a couple of times in 3rd gear. But only happened when the car was still cold. Never have this issue when the car was warmed up. I think this is normal and no need to worry too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Does your car feature a clutch stop ?

If affirmative, check this thread ("High RPM 1st to 2nd gear lockout 6MT (solved: the issue was caused by clutch stop)").
      11-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Does your car feature a clutch stop ?

If affirmative, check this thread ("High RPM 1st to 2nd gear lockout 6MT (solved: the issue was caused by clutch stop)").

Yes sir I have the BMS clutch stop! Thanks for the link I am going to try and remove it see if that helps 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:22 PM   #11
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

If it's a daily occurrence, it sounds like you have the same issue I did since you are popping out while from rolling away from stand still. If you pay attention you while probably notice first gear actually doesn't go in all the away when you get the gear popping out scenarios. Changed clutch stop, tranny mount, checked shifter arms and didn't yield any fixes issues to the issue. Ultimately, the only fix was a new transmission. Sorry bud.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1st+gear+issue
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:52 AM   #12
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

I have a problem with the 3rd gear going in reliably. Have to remember to deliberately push it in more before letting up the clutch comparing to the other gears. It grinds 1 out of 10 times if I let go the clutch too quickly.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Dang this is really concerning because I have the really notchy 1-2 shift in my m2 and I have the bms clutch stop with 2 shims in.

Please let me know pilot if you see an improvement without the clutch stop.

I remembered the car being the same way stock, but I'll have to test it back to back this summer with and without the clutch stop. Hopefully it isn't the clutch stops fault because I really hated the stock clutch throw and how long it was.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #14
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
I have the BMS clutch stopp installed and use it with 1 of 3 washers. So far not the slightest issue, all gears go in smooth & fine.

But only 1875km so far...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 01:32 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
I have the BMS clutch stopp installed and use it with 1 of 3 washers. So far not the slightest issue, all gears go in smooth & fine.

But only 1875km so far...
I really didn't notice this as an issue either vs. stock but since people are reporting the exact same feeling 1-2 I've been having it's really concerning. I recall stock being the same notchiness as with the clutch stop but I'll test it out this summer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #16
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I really didn't notice this as an issue either vs. stock but since people are reporting the exact same feeling 1-2 I've been having it's really concerning. I recall stock being the same notchiness as with the clutch stop but I'll test it out this summer.
2nd day with clutch stop out and no lockouts 🤞🏻

I experienced a couple notchy first gears like ppl have mentioned on here and that’s much better than the lockouts I was getting. I will keep you guys posted. Could just be a lucky 2 days.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
2nd day with clutch stop out and no lockouts ����

I experienced a couple notchy first gears like ppl have mentioned on here and that’s much better than the lockouts I was getting. I will keep you guys posted. Could just be a lucky 2 days.
Sounds good thanks for the update man.
I've enever had a lock out ever, just nothiness in 1-2 shifts. If I remove the clutch stop and the notchiness doesn't go away in a few days off driving the clutch stop is going right back in.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #18
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

If you're having problems with a car under warranty it always behooves you to take it in and get the problem resolved. Most are not having any problems at all so if you're having issues on a regular basis then the car is not performing as designed. No sense in living with it or trying to trouble shoot it yourself. Frankly you want this stuff addressed as early as possible so you can get as much time on the "fixed" car as possible before your warranty expires.
Appreciate 1
randyt224.50
      12-04-2018, 01:42 AM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
If you're having problems with a car under warranty it always behooves you to take it in and get the problem resolved. Most are not having any problems at all so if you're having issues on a regular basis then the car is not performing as designed. No sense in living with it or trying to trouble shoot it yourself. Frankly you want this stuff addressed as early as possible so you can get as much time on the "fixed" car as possible before your warranty expires.
The thing is there's nothing they can do unless it's a repeatable issue, and the stealerships don't care about slight issues with the car, it has to be a major issue before they act.

I've driven a few other F series n55 and m3/m4s with the 6mt and they all had notchiness in a few gears, so there's nothing I can do about that. I've experienced 0 cases of lockouts while up shifting or downshift (except into reverse while moving and into 1st above 20kmp/h which is normal), so there is pretty much no complaining from me except I want to check the clutch stop theory.

Plus imo my local BMW dealer is full of incompetent service managers who can't get anything done. Well atleast the ones I've met anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 05:19 AM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

First gear lockout is super common on MTs. It shouldn't be popping out though, get that transmission replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I don't know if this is related but, on my old E36 M3 this happened a few times. Scared the crap out of me when it first happened. This was on an older car with over 80k miles, but it was the only manual car I owned that has done that.

I wonder if it's unique to BMW's design of their MT's. It seems pretty random and not serous but it is interesting.

I thought it was happening because my car was old, and this is the first I've heard of it happening on any BMW besides mine, let alone a newer model like the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #22
guyno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18M2

I've been having something similar happen with first gear once in a while. About 3 times now I've thought i was in first gear (pushing as forcefully as I normally do and feeling the shift arm move the same distance as normal) and as i let off the clutch it grinds before i have time to re-engage the clutch. After i put it back in neutral and move to first again it has a spot where it slightly gets hung up before it slides into gear. I'll probably go take it in to get checked when i get some time.
Appreciate 0