BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Collision avoidance system

11-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

I once questioned on these forums why someone would want to disable this system (someone was asking whether it was possible)...and that as a compromise, to simply set it to 'minimal' sensitivity.

Well today, it nearly caused an accident.
I was attempting to change lanes and had to come up tight on car ahead of me in order to not cut someone off in the lane I was attempting to enter. Speed was about 60km/h.
System activated with an audible alarm and then immediately applied the brakes. The vehicle behind me had to slam their brakes and came very close to rear ending me. What's worse is I couldn't get back on the power...car pretty much came to a stop with power cut off.
I recognize that the system is designed to do this and for good reason however I'm now a bit nervous about it.

...and then it dawned on me...I never bothered to take my own advice and set the system back to its lowest setting (because of a recent istep update). Basically I forgot.
It was set to the middle default setting.

So you guys/gals may want to review your settings. Would I be interested in disabling completely? No. The benefits far outweigh the negatives- especially when coming up close to someone like I did is not the norm for me.

Hopefully the lowest setting is the perfect compromise. Not too late to avoid a collision and not so soon that it causes one!

What I would like to know is what those three settings actually change. I'm thinking all it changes is how soon the audible warning triggers but the brake application (when it activates) is the same across all 3 settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
jmh600cbr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80

Garage List
2021 BMW G80  [0.00]
Sounds to me like you cut it too close or your system malfunctioned. I have mine on the earliest warning setting and I've only ever heard an audible noise once in a full year of daily driving and I'm pretty aggressive with lane changes.
coaxial21.00
      11-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #3
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh600cbr View Post
Sounds to me like you cut it too close or your system malfunctioned. I have mine on the earliest warning setting and I've only ever heard an audible noise once in a full year of daily driving and I'm pretty aggressive with lane changes.
The same goes for my experience.

Only once has it come into play saving me from hitting a Deer.
      11-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #4
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Must be a significant difference between default/medium setting and minimum because like you both, before the istep update when I had it at lowest setting I often wondered if it even worked lol
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Sorry to hear. This makes me want to test it, because this seems like a big problem that could affect a lot of people. Fortunately it's easy to test safely by recreating the same condition except WITHOUT a car behind you. Will have to try once I get my M2 back.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I have an 18 with the accident avoidance system on the middle setting. My comfort level with getting close to cars in front of me is probably (guessing) higher than most peoples'.

I have had numerous audible warnings from the system, but only twice did it activate. Once was for a VERY brief less-than-one-second in the middle of nowhere on the highway - I have no idea why it did this because there was no one near me. I decided to wait to see if it was a problem. The second time, I was approaching a car that was at a stoplight in front of me. The stoplight just turned green and I was anticipating the car accelerating faster than it did so I was lightly on the throttle (I would say less than 30 mph) and as I got close, the brakes activated and it really threw me off because I didn't think it was close. I immediately looked behind me and providentially there was no one there to rear-end me.

My experience in combination with your experience has convinced me to adjust the setting to be as late notice as possible because I pretty much never take my eyes off the road.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I have an 18 with the accident avoidance system on the middle setting. My comfort level with getting close to cars in front of me is probably (guessing) higher than most peoples'.

I have had numerous audible warnings from the system, but only twice did it activate. Once was for a VERY brief less-than-one-second in the middle of nowhere on the highway - I have no idea why it did this because there was no one near me. I decided to wait to see if it was a problem. The second time, I was approaching a car that was at a stoplight in front of me. The stoplight just turned green and I was anticipating the car accelerating faster than it did so I was lightly on the throttle (I would say less than 30 mph) and as I got close, the brakes activated and it really threw me off because I didn't think it was close. I immediately looked behind me and providentially there was no one there to rear-end me.

My experience in combination with your experience has convinced me to adjust the setting to be as late notice as possible because I pretty much never take my eyes off the road.
I've had it activate twice before today but that was at low speed entering my garage. If I creep into the garage but carry a little speed....watch out! It always rattles you because you're never expecting it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
One of the variables that seems to be required for it to activate is that the throttle needs to be being applied when it triggers.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
One of the variables that seems to be required for it to activate is that the throttle needs to be being applied when it triggers.
It's actually the opposite; it doesn't activate if your foot is on the gas pedal because it assumes you're paying attention..

When you're off the throttle and car senses you're rolling into another vehicle or pedestrian above 40mph, it just warns you with a red/orange display car icon and distinctive beeping sound..

Under 40mph, it warns you with visually and audibly, if you don't react, it does light braking to automatically stop the vehicle and mitigate any damage.

Both speeds preps the vehicle for any emergency stop by tightening up the seat belt, priming the brakes and flashing the Adaptive Brake lights..

More in-depth details about this feature is stored on the vehicle's iDrive user manual for your convenience.
Appreciate 2
Dabozo624.50
///M TOWN16046.00
      11-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thought it was purely a distance thing. If you are 'closing in' within a certain distance. you could be coasting and not paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's actually the opposite; it doesn't activate if your foot is on the gas pedal because it assumes you're paying attention..

When you're off the throttle and car senses you're rolling into another vehicle or pedestrian above 40mph, it just warns you with a red/orange display car icon and distinctive beeping sound..

Under 40mph, it warns you with visually and audibly, if you don't react, it does light braking to automatically stop the vehicle and mitigate any damage.

Both speeds preps the vehicle for any emergency stop by tightening up the seat belt, priming the brakes and flashing the Adaptive Brake lights..

More in-depth details about this feature is stored on the vehicle's iDrive user manual for your convenience.
Thanks for reminding me to look at the manual. It says that "Appropriate braking kicks in at speeds of up to 35mph." I couldn't find anything about it activating with or without the throttle. What I did find is that for a MT, "braking intervention can be interrupted by stepping on the accelerator pedal or by actively moving the steering wheel." Also at play is if the DSC OFF is activated "the system may not be fully functional." I typically have it off.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #12
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for reminding me to look at the manual. It says that "Appropriate braking kicks in at speeds of up to 35mph." I couldn't find anything about it activating with or without the throttle. What I did find is that for a MT, "braking intervention can be interrupted by stepping on the accelerator pedal or by actively moving the steering wheel." Also at play is if the DSC OFF is activated "the system may not be fully functional." I typically have it off.
More details here:

http://www.smartmotorist.com/motoris...ng-system.html
Or...?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=M2guru;23982097][QUOTE=Poochie;23982086][QUOTE=M2guru;23982049]
Quote:
Or...?
Ok, well above 35 - 40 mph, it's doesn't brake, it just warns you..

It would create a hazard to auto-brake a car at such a reasonable higher speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #14
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
[QUOTE=Poochie;23982116][QUOTE=M2guru;23982097][QUOTE=Poochie;23982086]
Quote:
Quote:
Or...?

Your quote referenced the 5 series and lane departure so I think it doesn't quite apply.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #15
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

My procedure for starting my car...now muscle memory...

Depress clutch, take car out of 1st
Press red button
Double press mode rocker to Sport+
Double press MPE button to open exhaust flaps
PRESS KILL SWITCH FOR PROXIMITY NANNY
E-Brake off, Put her in gear and start burning some dinosaurs!

Also have the lane nanny off. I can't understand why the auto start/stop and lane nanny can remember the settings but the proximity nanny has to be turned off EVERY time you start the car...pain in the ass. Garbage feature...if I could permanently disable it, I would.

Hey BMW, I already have collision/lane departure nannies...they're called eyes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:08 PM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=M2guru;23982129][QUOTE=Poochie;23982116][QUOTE=M2guru;23982097]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or...?

Your quote referenced the 5 series and lane departure so I think it doesn't quite apply.
They all work together in stages, Lane Departure Warning doesn't activate unless you're traveling above 40mph..

City Auto-Braking deactivates at around 35 - 40mph.. They are converting KLM to MPH, that's why there is a slight discrepancy which the stage of speed deactivation from 35 - 40 mph..

Bimmerpost is now saying City Braking deactivates 37MPH..

https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/12/10/p...ced-award-201/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16046.00
      11-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #17
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Turn all that off. I specifically bought cars without these systems.
Be a better driver and don't even think about using these systems because good drivers should be able to control their car better than these systems as their abilities are today.

DSC, airbags and seat belt are all you need for now as these are the only safety features that are tried and true.

There's a reason why a lot of HPDE clubs ban cars equipped with collision avoidance systems, even if it can be turned off.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #18
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
[QUOTE=Poochie;23982192][QUOTE=M2guru;23982129][QUOTE=Poochie;23982116]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or...?

They all work together in stages, Lane Departure Warning doesn't activate unless you're traveling above 40mph..

City Auto-Braking deactivates at around 35 - 40mph.. They are converting KLM to MPH, that's why there is a slight discrepancy which the stage of speed deactivation from 35 - 40 mph..

Bimmerpost is now saying City Braking deactivates 37MPH..

https://www.bmwblog.com/2014/12/10/p...ced-award-201/
I appreciate that you reminded me to open the manual. It doesn't make sense to turn to a five series guide on lane departure or to an article from 2014 when the manual in front of me tells me how the collision avoidance system operates in my 2018 M2. Here I stand...I'll leave the last word to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
My procedure for starting my car...now muscle memory...

Depress clutch, take car out of 1st
Press red button
Double press mode rocker to Sport+
Double press MPE button to open exhaust flaps
PRESS KILL SWITCH FOR PROXIMITY NANNY
E-Brake off, Put her in gear and start burning some dinosaurs!

Also have the lane nanny off. I can't understand why the auto start/stop and lane nanny can remember the settings but the proximity nanny has to be turned off EVERY time you start the car...pain in the ass. Garbage feature...if I could permanently disable it, I would.

Hey BMW, I already have collision/lane departure nannies...they're called eyes.
Other people have eyes too, and they're looking for turn signals. If you use them, the steering wheel won't vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #20
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Other people have eyes too, and they're looking for turn signals. If you use them, the steering wheel won't vibrate.
My point was that I don't want the car to do something that I am not directly creating the input for, nor do I want it taking away (even if only briefly) the ability for me to provide direct input. I have heard horror stories about other vehicles with Active Cruise control slamming on the brakes because a piece of paper blew in front of the cruise camera on the highway among other things. All of this tech is creating lazy drivers. Drivers that are more concerned about the latest pair of shoes their friend has posted a picture of on IG rather than focusing on the task at hand...operating a 1,600kg chunk of glass and metal at 100km/h. These are the people that should use Uber/Transit. If you don't want to focus on driving, then let someone else do it.

TBH I keep DSC on at all times (save that odd occasion at the track) and I am not trying to "tout my manliness" as another poster has suggested. I am merely saying that these nannies are a slippery slope. It's part of the same reason I drive MT. Of course I can read the spec sheet that empirically states DCT is faster, but it is yet another thing that has drivers less engaged with the car...opening the opportunity to take attention away from what the driver should be focused on. Idle hands...
Appreciate 4
Dabozo624.50
M2guru383.50
tranck500.50
      11-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #21
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Just dont drive like maniac
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #22
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower_FS View Post
Turn all that off. I specifically bought cars without these systems.
Be a better driver and don't even think about using these systems because good drivers should be able to control their car better than these systems as their abilities are today.

DSC, airbags and seat belt are all you need for now as these are the only safety features that are tried and true.

There's a reason why a lot of HPDE clubs ban cars equipped with collision avoidance systems, even if it can be turned off.
Let's see that list. It no longer exists. It was brought up as a concern early on but I don't know of any organization that does HPDE that does not allow cars with these systems.

I am not a fan of the M2 collision avoidance systems, it does alert inappropriately at times and I have had it apply the brakes once when there was literally nothing in front of me but I have driven in mixed conditions 34,000 miles in the car and can speak to a couple of false alerts and one brake application (not a big deal, does not bring the car to a stop just scrubs some speed and sets the pads agains the rotor). I did bring my car to get the camera recalibrated and that seems to have improved the performance quite a bit so that would be my recommendation to anyone with concerns about the system. There is also nothing wrong with turning it off. I leave collision on and keep lane keeping off personally and I track with collision on mainly because I forget to turn it off. It does alert because of closing speeds but it has never applied brakes on the track, frankly I am not entirely sure how it differentiates when to preset the brakes and when not too.
Appreciate 0