BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Xpel post installation bubbles

03-25-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 xDrive Competition

Xpel post installation bubbles

I had Xpel installed about 2 weeks ago by a an approved installer found on the Xpel site. Over I am happy with the result and customer service was next to none. The entire front end was done, rocker panels and behind the rear wheels. Since then the car has been garage but had noticed on the driver side headlight there are a couple of small bubbles, closer to the top near the hood. I tried pressing on them but they are still there. My question is should I wait longer to see if they work themselves out? It has been warmer lately and the garage it's in has gotten quite warm and I thought that would help too but that wasn't the case. My concern is if I have them replace the film that the headlight could get damaged or the laminate could lift during removal. I may be over thinking this but I've heard horror stories about this happening, not necessarily on new cars or BMW's in general but it's still something I thought about. Anyone have experience with removal or replacement of Xpel on headlights?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Don't worry about Xpel creating any issues with your paint or headlights. It is an excellent product , the issues you speak of were years ago with other manufactures. You should talk to your installer. There are times that bubbles are simply too large and need to be punctured. If your area is cool it may be that it needs more time but 2 weeks seems like plenty of time. If they are a good shop they will ask you to bring it by and probably will just replace the film or maybe try releasing the air. Not a big deal at all.

FYI guys that have high end cars like the Mclaren P1 are having the entire car covered in Xpel and then they go off to a track day to long road trip and have entire sections that get any little damage removed and replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
littleoldman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: incoming M2 - sold 335D Sport
Location: 1988 M3, 2006 330 Conv (ZCP), 2008 535Xi, 2011 335D Sport

It is all how the PPF is removed. Yanked off or removed properly with care and consideration.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
twboy1999
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 honda accord

it will eventually go away
      03-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I had bubbles that came and went for 30 days and a couple that stayed even longer
      03-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Park the car in sunlight during the day to help water evaporation and to make sure the glue gently melt under the film.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
If they don't go away, the shop should be able to minimize the bubbles for you. That's what we did with mine.
      03-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phresh1 View Post
I had Xpel installed about 2 weeks ago by a an approved installer found on the Xpel site. Over I am happy with the result and customer service was next to none. The entire front end was done, rocker panels and behind the rear wheels. Since then the car has been garage but had noticed on the driver side headlight there are a couple of small bubbles, closer to the top near the hood. I tried pressing on them but they are still there. My question is should I wait longer to see if they work themselves out? It has been warmer lately and the garage it's in has gotten quite warm and I thought that would help too but that wasn't the case. My concern is if I have them replace the film that the headlight could get damaged or the laminate could lift during removal. I may be over thinking this but I've heard horror stories about this happening, not necessarily on new cars or BMW's in general but it's still something I thought about. Anyone have experience with removal or replacement of Xpel on headlights?
Bubbles can take longer to go away depending where you live and the temperature and a few other factors. Typically we'll tell customers they should go away within 2 weeks at the most, sometimes longer if its cooler outside. Contrary to what most think, try to avoid putting in direct sunlight and do not push on the bubbles as this can cause adhesion distortion. Meaning you're pushing the film and adhesive down and then it comes back up due to the extra moisture.

We'd recommend taking it to your installer and having them take a look at it, they'd be able to give the best course of action. When removed properly, the film should not cause any damage. The only issue seems to be some Porsche headlights with their UV coating that can come off if the film is removed improperly.

If you have any questions, please let us know on here or via PM
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      03-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I had my full front end done in the middle of winter. I have a few small air bubbles that I was told would go away when it warms up in a couple months. I also have a piece lifting off on one of the fangs low on the front bumper. Installer said they would replace in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

I just had my PPF (Suntek) installed and the installer said to swing by in a week or two after it getting full sun/heat for a few days and that he would make sure any bubbles were taken care of....he uses a tiny 1cc hypodermic needle...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
kelz_dunks4life
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I had my full front end done in the middle of winter. I have a few small air bubbles that I was told would go away when it warms up in a couple months. I also have a piece lifting off on one of the fangs low on the front bumper. Installer said they would replace in the summer.
Did the bubbles ever go away? I got mine done last week and since then I haven't seen any progress. I assume it's because of the cold.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelz_dunks4life View Post
Did the bubbles ever go away? I got mine done last week and since then I haven't seen any progress. I assume it's because of the cold.
The PPF place should pop the bubbles for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #13
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
I've had this happen on the headlights as well as a couple spots on the bumper. They usually go away on their own.The cold weather will help as well. Some installers may use a needle.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #14
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

This is my first experience with having PPF installed, although I’ve bought cars before that have anready had it installed (and none of them had any bubbling).

How many bubbles would you guys consider acceptable? None? A few small ones? I’ve got probably about a dozen, some very small, some maybe 1/4 of a penny or so. It was installed 10 days ago now but it’s pretty cold here (just above freezing). The car is going back to them next Monday for them to work on the bubbles so I’m hoping they can take care of it, but what would you guys do if there are still bubbles afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:47 PM   #15
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I had some that were the size of 1/4 a dime on the mirror cap. Never noticed them until a couple months after install. I think they appeared out of nowhere too, because I hand washed my car a bunch of times and ceramic coated it myself and never saw them. A few weeks later I decided to take it back to get them removed, and the next morning they were gone before I could take it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:50 PM   #16
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

No bubbles at all on your bumper? That’s where most of mine are...

I’m just hoping it’s not because of inexperienced installers. They have good reviews but I don’t personally know anyone that’s used them.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #17
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzz24 View Post
This is my first experience with having PPF installed, although I’ve bought cars before that have anready had it installed (and none of them had any bubbling).

How many bubbles would you guys consider acceptable? None? A few small ones? I’ve got probably about a dozen, some very small, some maybe 1/4 of a penny or so. It was installed 10 days ago now but it’s pretty cold here (just above freezing). The car is going back to them next Monday for them to work on the bubbles so I’m hoping they can take care of it, but what would you guys do if there are still bubbles afterwards?
The weather can greatly affect how quickly bubbles will disappear. In near freezing temperatures, that would explain the 10 days time frame. Your installer will be able to take care of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

They should go away within a month. If they don't it could be dust trapped under the film.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #19
davidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 M2

The bubbles will not necessarily go away on their own. If they don't disappear within about three weeks, they most likely won't. The shop that installed the Xpel should be able to remedy the bubbles with a needle and a bit of fluid. Takes only a few minutes. I would suggest marking the bubbles with masking tape so you remember where they are.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #20
kelz_dunks4life
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk View Post
The bubbles will not necessarily go away on their own. If they don't disappear within about three weeks, they most likely won't. The shop that installed the Xpel should be able to remedy the bubbles with a needle and a bit of fluid. Takes only a few minutes. I would suggest marking the bubbles with masking tape so you remember where they are.
Understand. As long as it doesnt mess up the custom paint in the process then I'm good.
Appreciate 0