BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 (F87) Start of Production: November 2015 / March 2016

07-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #155
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
No need - plenty of time to get one because there's no limited production.
if its anything like current allocation of reg 2 series and M235 dealers will get 1 a month. M3/M4 is always basically like this with dealers getting 1-2 a month. So if it were me and I wanted one yes I would get on a list now.
Easy to get on a list and easy to drop off. There is not really any harm in getting on a list.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:43 AM   #156
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
but that car is huge?
You're missing my point. The test mule looks to have 19" wheels on it. If they put those as standard on the car, they will probably have to fit 30 series tires, which would not be good. It'll look nice, but you really want more meat on your sidewall for a performance car.
The 1m and e90 zcp package uses 245/35/19 and 265/35/19.

Doesn't the M4 have similar tires as well?

No one is missing your point, you simply have no point.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 02:59 AM   #157
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
um in the states the m235i replaces the 135i so it should still be there.
I get what you're saying - I'm just not sure keeping the M235 with a full bore M2 also in the cards makes sense...
???? How about some history. ??

E30 318/325/M3
E36 318/325/M3
E46 325/330/M3
E90 325/330/M3 and 328/335/M3
F30 320/325/328/335/F8x M

E82 128/135/135is/1M
F20 228/M235i/M2.

Each of the model lines above has had three US models over pretty much of the entire model run.
What makes you think they would get rid of the m235i? If anything, you might see a 220 or 225 come in below the 228.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 03:03 AM   #158
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

E30 318/325/M3
E36 318/325/M3
E46 325/330/M3
E90 325/330/M3 and 328/335M3

E82 128/135/135is/1M
F20 228/M235is/M2.

Each of the model lines above has had three US models over pretty much of the entire model run.
What makes you think they would get rid of the 235is? If anything, you might see a 220 or 225 come in below the 228.
Excellent post until you invented a phantom model You meant M235i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 03:05 AM   #159
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31
Quote:

E30 318/325/M3
E36 318/325/M3
E46 325/330/M3
E90 325/330/M3 and 328/335M3

E82 128/135/135is/1M
F20 228/M235is/M2.

What makes you think they would get rid of the 235is? If anything, you might see a 220 or 225 come in below the 228.
Excellent post until you invented a phantom model You meant M235i
Edited. Lol. It's 3am and all the 1 and 2 series were getting jumbled lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 05:49 AM   #160
Wilson
Private
Rep
Drives: broken down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Well you made you're case of why they shouldn't add all those things, I'm making a valid point as to why they should. I'm willing to bet that 90% of those things end up in the M2 minus the s55 which we all know is 99% rumored to be a hopped up N55. So be it. Will it still be a fantastic M car. Absofuckinglutly!

Again to save weight, money, they can do all the things people are asking. Not to mention cc brakes will be optional.

Yeah I do want the "clunker" trans this time around. To agree with your comment on the take rate of the M-DCT of 75%, it may even be higher than that. M/T won't be around for much longer and it is what it is.
I honestly don't need anyone's reason of opting for a DCT to justify their purchase, especially pulling out the old F1 cars use it argument. Lewis Hamilton or whoever is behind the wheel, their job is to get that car the fastest possible way around that track shaving off milliseconds and yes the DCT's are waaaaay faster for it. That's his job he's not out having coffee and donuts! He gets paid millions of damn dollars for it.

Now will you ever track your car? Probably not, will I? Probably not. I really don't give a darn if you can beat me to 60. I don't care that your car is .3 tents faster in the 1/4.
I want to row my own damn shaft through those gates. That's the fun factor for me. 99.9 % of my driving is street. And I've had and driven autos and DCT's, and they're fucking boring.
So the drug is still available to give the high, when it's not ill adapt as everyone will with it.

I ask you this one thing. How many 1M's ended up sitting on the lots because they were M/T? Not a single one.

Sure the volume was low, I don't know the exact global figure say 4500 units. 750 in the States. I'd say the M2 volume will be roughly double that, perhaps even 10,000. 35-40% manual, they'll all be sold...

So when will this end? When they stop making the "clunker".
The point here is this. Those of you who like and want a MT seem hell bent on telling the world that it should be the only gearbox option that BMW should put in this car.

I respect your desire for such a gearbox, and hope it is available and you enjoy the hell out of it. But don't begrudge the other 75% of voters who want the M-DCT.

As I said, both gearbox options should be available, but you alienate the majority by saying MT should be the only transmission based on weight saving decisions, or that you find it more involving. Let me guess, those of you who want the MT due to weight consideration, will probably option the car with AC?

I am pro choice in this matter, we should all be able to end up with the M2 that we each want.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 06:34 AM   #161
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
The point here is this. Those of you who like and want a MT seem hell bent on telling the world that it should be the only gearbox option that BMW should put in this car.

I respect your desire for such a gearbox, and hope it is available and you enjoy the hell out of it. But don't begrudge the other 75% of voters who want the M-DCT.

As I said, both gearbox options should be available, but you alienate the majority by saying MT should be the only transmission based on weight saving decisions, or that you find it more involving. Let me guess, those of you who want the MT due to weight consideration, will probably option the car with AC?

I am pro choice in this matter, we should all be able to end up with the M2 that we each want.
More like 90% will opt for the MDCT

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #162
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

Forget about performance, most of us are driving this car on the street for fun. A manual trans is way more fun to drive than an auto or DCT. I used to date a girl that had an 80's Dodge Colt and it was a 4 speed. The car was a piece of shit but was a blast to drive because it was a manual. And isn't that what most of us are all about, having fun?

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #163
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I will take DCT! I also think this will be limited in numbers just like the 1M but more in total.
      07-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #164
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
HYFR!! (Hell yeah fuckin right!!! )

BMW will keep me as a customer if they keep making manuals. If they make the M2 DCT only... I wouldnt be interested at all and will keep my "FAKE" M Car.

Just like the S3 only available in Auto DCT. THeres alrady a huge uproar as to why its not avalable with M/T as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
With a comment like this, it is clear you don't understand. Those of us who want a manual don't care about the performance benefit of the DCT. We prefer the feel, involvement, and control a manual transmission offers. It is part of what makes driving fun. The fact that a traditional manual is less complicated and less costly to repair is an added bonus.

And as others have said, 1Ms did not sit on the lot.
Absolutely they didnt and neither will this M2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post

I cant really disagree with what youre saying in this post. But, Dont misunderstand. Im in no way putting down the M-DCT or any other PDK or double clutch trans. Theyre an engineering marvel.
Look at my car description, I currently run the 8spd ZF (wich is in no way the same as a DCT) trans, and yes its got its advantages. Its also got its disadvantages. But lets not get into this pissing match any longer of M/T vs. Auto its sort of pointless. Agree to offer both. ANd Im not saying there wont be a day that I opt for the DCT.

However as long as the cartilage is still in tact in my knew and I can bend it Ill desire the Manual. Ive never purchased a M/T and wished I had an auto. But owning several auto's Ive always longed for a manual. THats all, thats where Im at with this. Not really that big of an issue with the WHOLE weight savings thing either, it is cheaper, and its plain and simple more FUN and thats what people are after. FUN.

Most certainly not trying to alienate the DCT guys. Like I said there will be a time where I may prefer the DCT.
One thing to consider is turning the tables and viewing it from the other side. The M/T is whats being alienated and forced into future extinction. Yes I get it, economic, autos get better MPG. Manufacturers will most certainly love the fact that they dont have to pour millions of dollars into development of two transmissions but rather one. In the end its going to happen.

For now the argument stays. What else are you going to do on here? Argue that your silver color is better then my Blue? BOOOOORING. Its all in good fun. I like discussions and certanly dont mean to be aggressive and rude.

Oh and the a/c comment...come on lets not even go there since were not buying Lotus's or Porsche GT3's. BMW from my knowledge doesnt even have a production vehicle in its lineup with a a/c delte option. ANd NO one, NO ONE would opt for that. Lets be realistic. Quite frankly from what I see GT3 owners about 99% of those cars have a/c.

Hell if F1 or NASCAR guys could have it you bet your bottom dollar they have it and never tell you lol. Jeff Gordon, or Ayrton Senna would have an ICE box in that hard ass carbon fiber seat blowing cold 60* air cooling off his nuts while hes doing 220mph. So I think that argument is irrelevant.
I dont want that, I want a/c, I want auto windows. THis isnt 1973 . I sure as hell dont wanna sweat my ass off in a BMW while going to a cruise night, or have to reach over to roll my passanger window down. Eff that noise

To sum it up, I agree. Lets be pro choice in the matter. Definetely offer both. It would be a mistake not to. So we can all have our cake and eat it too..

EDIT: To show you Im not against a DCT, in a certain scenario next summer if I end up with a cayman s, I will have to go with a PDK. For selfless reasons being my wife. SHe has had BMW's and could care less if I got an M car with a stick. SHe has her own and it makes no difference its an M or a 320i. She told me if I get the Porsche she wants to be able to drive it. Fair enough right. I understand...

So there may be a lot of circumstances wher poeple must opt for the DCT anything else would be too impractical for life.

Last edited by Jadar; 07-25-2014 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #165
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I will take DCT! I also think this will be limited in numbers just like the 1M but more in total.
Pretty sure they said it was not going to be a limited production model.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #166
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

So the lease on my 335is is up in august 2015. Does anyone know if BMW will be willing to extend it long enough for me to get an M2?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #167
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1
It will NOT be limited production.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #168
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
More like 90% will opt for the MDCT
I dont honestly think it will be that high. But we will definetly see. One thing is for sure. THe demand for this "new" M car is very high and they will not sit on lots. I guess we will have to come back to thread, and update it with the stats and take rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Forget about performance, most of us are driving this car on the street for fun. A manual trans is way more fun to drive than an auto or DCT. I used to date a girl that had an 80's Dodge Colt and it was a 4 speed. The car was a piece of shit but was a blast to drive because it was a manual. And isn't that what most of us are all about, having fun?
Yeah I mean bottom line is the FUN factor is just too hard to match. Yes In a traffic jam youre swearing up and down and wishing you had an auto, but for that brief moment. Then you get back in the open and all is forgotten.

Nothing like being on the roll, thrwing that clutch to the floor board and giving a fellow M passer buyer a little blip representing a little hello and respect for the car.

Auto: oh shit wait let me stop put this bitch in neutral, oh shit thats reverse, wait got it, reeeev.
      07-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #169
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Not driven an MT in 30 years, can't stand them myself, I don't find changing gears fun at all and they're now slower and less economical than AT, if you buy an M2 with a MT you will probably find it's hardly any faster than a M235i with an AT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #170
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
So the lease on my 335is is up in august 2015. Does anyone know if BMW will be willing to extend it long enough for me to get an M2?
Probably not. I believe BMWFS will extend a lease only up to 6 months and then only if you have a new BMW on order.

Maybe they'll write you a new lease with new terms, payment amount, etc. for another set term (12, 24, 36 months or whatever), but that would probably not be as good a deal financially.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #171
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony
An M car without an M engine? Everyone at M Division needs to be fired and all the M cars redesigned.
Pretty amazing that the most sought after BMW in the last decade doesn't have an " m" engine.

What does THAT say?
If it's wasn't for it being a low number car I'd say it's a serious ripped off in more ways than 1 !
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #172
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
Not driven an MT in 30 years, can't stand them myself, I don't find changing gears fun at all and they're now slower and less economical than AT, if you buy an M2 with a MT you will probably find it's hardly any faster than a M235i with an AT
Youre probably right. More Economical for sure. But I think people that want the MT arent looking at that. .3 tenths will not matter honestly. Its the satisfaction of doing things yourself.

But in the end the hardly bragging right argument wont stand becase (Im not one of them) when peopole pinch thents like that for 0-60 sake, even a MT M2 with .1 or .2 tenths quicker then an M235 is still a win. You know what they always say a win is a win. I dont think you will be paying for straightline speed with this car. Its going to be very driver focused and track orented. BUt we shall see, its fun waiting for more info.
      07-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #173
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Luckily..BMW will offer both Manual and DCT Trans or some type of Auto for the M2...it would be a horrible business decision not to...and yes, BMW does like making money. That said i am in the 6M/T camp for sure and will ONLY buy my next car with it...Waiting patiently for the M2.....well not so patient as it's been 16 months now since i sold my 135i and still driving my 1991 Miata which is keeping me sane till the M comes out.
I totally agree that the M2 will be the most popular M car BMW will have. And it will be the benchmark for years to come..Keep it small, lighter and nimble and the buyers will line up in the dozens....as long as it has a manual trans all is golden ! Otherwise the Porsche dealer next door get's my business.
      07-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #174
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
Luckily..BMW will offer both Manual and DCT Trans or some type of Auto for the M2...it would be a horrible business decision not to...and yes, BMW does like making money. That said i am in the 6M/T camp for sure and will ONLY buy my next car with it...Waiting patiently for the M2.....well not so patient as it's been 16 months now since i sold my 135i and still driving my 1991 Miata which is keeping me sane till the M comes out.
I totally agree that the M2 will be the most popular M car BMW will have. And it will be the benchmark for years to come..Keep it small, lighter and nimble and the buyers will line up in the dozens....as long as it has a manual trans all is golden ! Otherwise the Porsche dealer next door get's my business.
Couldnt have said it better myself . Porsche is very likely on my list, but they seem to be surrendering to the economic efficient juggernaut and even the GT3 is a PDK only option. So that leaves me wondering...its a matter of time before we all submit and tap out
      07-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #175
Bigiggs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
M2 with S55 would be nice...
Dream on...BMW will never want to canobilze its sales
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #176
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
M235i replaces the 135is.
in the states? i don't care if it replaces a 135i or a 135is.....i would say it replaced both in the states because you can either get a 228i or an m235i. nothing special regardless. (well its a special car but yeah, nothing special like an ///M2 would be!)
Appreciate 0