BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Just ordered a Quickjack... from Costco

12-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #23
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

I keep coming back to these. Can I justify it based on the work I do? Probably not. But it would make the work I do that much easier and I'm not getting any younger, and it's a helluva lot safer than jury rigging jackstands, and....

Can someone explain what the 5000 comes with as far as the rubber blocks and if it's sufficient for the M2? I assume I'd want to get as much lift as possible to slide under to work on downpipe/other exhaust and of course I don't want to tater the plastic on the jack points.

Other projects are an e90, R56 Mini, 66 Mustang and possibly a 2014 Acura RDX, but not so likely on the latter. Would I need to invest in any other components to work on any of these?
Appreciate 2
CrashFL136.50
      12-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #24
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantComplain View Post
I keep coming back to these. Can I justify it based on the work I do? Probably not. But it would make the work I do that much easier and I'm not getting any younger, and it's a helluva lot safer than jury rigging jackstands, and....

Can someone explain what the 5000 comes with as far as the rubber blocks and if it's sufficient for the M2? I assume I'd want to get as much lift as possible to slide under to work on downpipe/other exhaust and of course I don't want to tater the plastic on the jack points.

Other projects are an e90, R56 Mini, 66 Mustang and possibly a 2014 Acura RDX, but not so likely on the latter. Would I need to invest in any other components to work on any of these?
The 5000 comes with a set of short and tall rubber blocks. With my 3-series I was able to use the tall blocks in conjunction with my hockey puck adapters in the jack points when I was at stock ride height.

For your other vehicles, check the jack point spacing. I have a feeling with the RDX (and possibly Mustang) you'll need the frame extension kit if you get the 5000SLX. I need those to reach the jack points fully on the latest Accord. Of course, if you get the 5000EXT you won't need that.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:26 AM   #25
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
The 5000 comes with a set of short and tall rubber blocks. With my 3-series I was able to use the tall blocks in conjunction with my hockey puck adapters in the jack points when I was at stock ride height.

For your other vehicles, check the jack point spacing. I have a feeling with the RDX (and possibly Mustang) you'll need the frame extension kit if you get the 5000SLX. I need those to reach the jack points fully on the latest Accord. Of course, if you get the 5000EXT you won't need that.
I bought the 5000SLX from Costco (obviously; I'm the OP!), but after trying to lift my wife's 2016 Honda Pilot, I got in touch with Quickjack and ordered up the frame extensions, as well as the SUV and Light Truck adaptor set.

One last thing that I ordered, and which isn't on their website, is some square cupped top plates for the SUV and Light Truck adaptor set which you use as an alternative to the round flat top plates that are supplied as standard with that accessory.

I found that the Honda bent over pinch weld jack points were un-safe on just the rubber blocks, especially if you don't have the whole of the rubber block under the jack point because the spacing is too far without the frame extensions! The square top plates solve this problem because they've got rubber inside a square channel. Even if there were to be some slipping, the metal channel would prevent the jack point slipping entirely off. I'll try and tack some photos of these square top plates at some point and post here.

You don't need jack pads for the square plastic jack points with a quickjack; the rubber blocks lift the car perfectly on this jack points and don't damage them at all. Just make sure the rubber blocks are centred on the jack points.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #26
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:

Safety is the key for me. These modern cars are really only safe when being lifted at those 4 main lift points (a few exceptions exist) this is the safest, portable and affordable solution I have seen. For other cars the key is the distance of the lift points. I use mine for my M2 and my wife's Honda Accord, the Accord has a much longer wheel base but it works fine. For SUV most use the adapters that you can buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #27
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
BTW: Is the car cover (touches like all fabric) sold in Costco worth buying? It's for indoor, dust proof only.
      12-16-2018, 11:40 AM   #28
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:

I'm in same boat as you. Trying to justify cost but like you, safety is key. Since I bought it (still boxed up) I've decided to return it/keep it about 4 times now lol but what other options are there besides non-confidence inspiring stands or an actual lift? Sure, we can use ramps but no good if working on brakes etc. but that is where I'm at now...considering ramps for underneath work and jack/stands for brake/wheel work...and keeping $1000 in my pocket.
Question for those who have replaced their sport cat - is front end only ramps sufficient for completing the install?
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #29
5thGearPinned
Not Mids
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 -FBO + PS2

Be careful

Just saw one of these fail today on instagram. They haven’t been able to diagnose the cause though. Compressor was not to blame however.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #30
Drop the hammer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F87 M2 AW, Dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
I'm in same boat as you. Trying to justify cost but like you, safety is key. Since I bought it (still boxed up) I've decided to return it/keep it about 4 times now lol but what other options are there besides non-confidence inspiring stands or an actual lift? Sure, we can use ramps but no good if working on brakes etc. but that is where I'm at now...considering ramps for underneath work and jack/stands for brake/wheel work...and keeping $1000 in my pocket.
Question for those who have replaced their sport cat - is front end only ramps sufficient for completing the install?
Yes, I jack up my front end and put 6 inch ramps under each front wheel. Perfect lift height for sport cat installation. I’ve tried lifting it higher using jack stands but then you end up having to reach really high up to the top clamp and it’s much more difficult as I had to do a partial crunch to reach up there and to do that while fiddling with the clamp on and off is a royal pain. The 6 inch lift from my ramps is perfect while I lie on the garage floor. Another inch or two would also work for me, but higher than that and it would make the job harder.
Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      12-16-2018, 08:11 PM   #31
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGearPinned View Post
Just saw one of these fail today on instagram. They haven’t been able to diagnose the cause though. Compressor was not to blame however.
Looks like they did not pay close attention to having the quick jack in the locked position. The right side jack is fully locked, no way the left side can go down unless it is unlocked. It is a hydraulic system which is why the car should never be left in the up position unless the locks are engaged. With the locks engaged they can hold far more than what they are rated for.
Appreciate 1
qnet676.00
      12-16-2018, 11:02 PM   #32
CantComplain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT AW M2

Quote:
Yes, you can do a cat with ramps. I did. It sucked but I think it was worse for me than the average bear.

C'mon man, do it. I'll split it with you. We can keep it at my house but you can grab it whenever you need it
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #33
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you can do a cat with ramps. I did. It sucked but I think it was worse for me than the average bear.

C'mon man, do it. I'll split it with you. We can keep it at my house but you can grab it whenever you need it
Lol tempting for sure.

Complicating matters is other than the cat I can't really think of a reason why I would need to work under the car. Most of the maintenance items (brakes etc) or mods I'm interested in can be achieved from the perimeter or above. There is however a damn garbage bag that I ran over in the spring and now I'm always greeted with the smell of burned plastic when I exit the car ...drives me nuts. I've scraped as much off the exhaust that I can reach but more remains
So at this point, the lift would be more of a luxury than a necessity.
But stay tuned...tomorrow is a new day I may change my mind again lol.
What's Costco 's return policy? A year? Oh god....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #34
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGearPinned View Post
From the manual:

Floor surface must be dry, flat, and have a minimum compressive strength of 500 PSI.

Do not work under an elevated Vehicle unless properly rated Vehicle Jack Stands
are used and place under the factory approved Lifting Points.

Yes. If you put your QuickJack Frames next to each other with both Lock Bars on the outside and
the end with the sticker away from you, then the Frame on the left is the “left” Frame and the Frame on
the right is the “right” Frame. These are the orientations noted on the boxes the QuickJack Frames
come in and is shown in the drawing in Unpacking. (so they used them backwards as well. left side of a car is driver...)

Last edited by McPurrs; 12-18-2018 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #35
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Wait. So for liability they tell you that you need to use jack stands in addition to the Quickjack? And those jack stands are supposed to go where the Quickjack lifted the car from? Uhhh....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #36
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzz24 View Post
Quote:
Wait. So for liability they tell you that you need to use jack stands in addition to the Quickjack? And those jack stands are supposed to go where the Quickjack lifted the car from? Uhhh....
Lol good point.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #37
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

Quote:
yea I was thinking the same thing.. like wtf
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #38
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2/M3/4/5

Quote:
No, that is a generic safety quote. The quickjack is a properly rated jack stand.
      12-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #39
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankdoll View Post
No, that is a generic safety quote. The quickjack is a properly rated jack stand.
not according to their documentation. I copy and pasted that from the guide you can find online, that ships with every unit.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #40
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
not according to their documentation. I copy and pasted that from the guide you can find online, that ships with every unit.
Yes, I have the manual. My interpretation was quickjack = jack stands. However, I've been wrong before.
      12-20-2018, 12:12 AM   #41
ORG
Stripped of Rank
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Looks like the statement is intended to protect them legally from any mishaps while their product is being used.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #42
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

Quote:

How did you interpret that from this? :
"Do not work under an elevated Vehicle unless properly rated Vehicle Jack Stands
are used and place under the factory approved Lifting Points."

Edit: but then I read this shit on their website:
"No More Jack Stands!
QuickJack offers far more surface area than jack stands, substantially increasing its stability compared to old-fashioned stands. The self-locking bars do the work of those stands—and everyone agrees, this portable car lift does it better."

So I agree with another poster here, it is for legal purposes. Though I would think they would lose as they contradict themselves but I am not a lawyer.

Last edited by McPurrs; 12-20-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #43
Hankdoll
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did you interpret that from this? :
"Do not work under an elevated Vehicle unless properly rated Vehicle Jack Stands
are used and place under the factory approved Lifting Points."
I saw it as a generic safety quote and just used some common sense. The whole point of the quickjack is to replace a jack / jack stand system. I really didn't think it meant I needed jack stands too. Quickjack fits under the jackpoints and goes up like three feet. I haven't even seen jackstands that could go that high.
      12-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #44
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
...goes up like three feet...
Actually less than 2 feet with the standard rubber blocks.

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html
Appreciate 0