BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Engine Hesitation/Stutter Light & Medium Load

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-05-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Beyond Help
Private
Beyond Help's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago Suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Engine Hesitation/Stutter Light & Medium Load

Hey everyone,

Having a issue with the car & not sure where to even start looking. Under light/medium load between 1000-2600rpm Im getting engine hesitation. It has been happening for a few weeks now and starting to become really annoying.

Wanted to see if anyone has experienced this issue or where I should start looking.

Below are a couple logs I took, if you filter out everything except "Accel Pedal" & "Engine Speed" you'll see where its happening.

Log # 1: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ccf0393c090c64e77f5ab9a

Log # 2: http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ccf0cd4c090c64e77f5abc3


Mods:
FBO PS2 w/ XDI-35

Last edited by Beyond Help; 05-05-2019 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
arhoads335i
Captain
154
Rep
698
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Hopewell/ NJ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Only when it's cold? Right after start up?
__________________
2014 M235i Black on Red
2006 F250 powerstoke CCSB
08 e90 335i MT Pure Stage 2 High flow (SOLD)
08 128i 6MT FBO (SOLD)
08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
Beyond Help
Private
Beyond Help's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago Suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
Only when it's cold? Right after start up?
No, happens after car is fully up to temp. Every time I do a mild acceleration in low rpms I get the stutter/hiccup. I just had plugs replaced since I had a few other things being worked on but it hasn't gone away.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
963mw
BMW Fanatic
963mw's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

Reset adaptations and try again. If it stays afterwards then it could be something a bit more serious.
__________________
18 BMW M2 | ER DP | ER CP | Wagner Evo 2 Comp Intercooler | Aquamist HFS4 | BM3 | CSF Oil Cooler | AFE Drop-in Filter | Bilstein B16 PSS10
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
963mw
BMW Fanatic
963mw's Avatar
United_States
274
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

Also, was traction control active? I looked at your first log and saw the part where the engine is slugging a bit despite throttle angle going up.

I was once logging and due to traction control being too intervening, engine would slug and would pull timing until traction control either gives the green light or is turned off.
__________________
18 BMW M2 | ER DP | ER CP | Wagner Evo 2 Comp Intercooler | Aquamist HFS4 | BM3 | CSF Oil Cooler | AFE Drop-in Filter | Bilstein B16 PSS10
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:56 AM   #6
gtaM2
Driver
gtaM2's Avatar
379
Rep
724
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2 BSM 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

bad coil? bad spark plug? prior to replacing the spark plugs did you have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Beyond Help
Private
Beyond Help's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago Suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Also, was traction control active? I looked at your first log and saw the part where the engine is slugging a bit despite throttle angle going up.

I was once logging and due to traction control being too intervening, engine would slug and would pull timing until traction control either gives the green light or is turned off.
Ive tried in every driving mode all the same. It only happens between 30-50% throttle, on WOT car pulls great. Ill try reseting adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #8
Beyond Help
Private
Beyond Help's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago Suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaM2 View Post
bad coil? bad spark plug? prior to replacing the spark plugs did you have this problem?
Just had the plugs replaced last Friday and problem is still there. I might try replacing the coils to cross that off the list. I wonder if it might be related to fueling running 260GT+ gas right now. Will switch back to 93 to see if anything changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
nothingman
Private NumNuts
nothingman's Avatar
United_States
259
Rep
238
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 DCT LBB
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mason Dixon Line

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I’m having similar issues with the same mods. Even running the same fuel. I PM’d you.
__________________
Charlie Nibbana
517whp PS2, XDi-35, ÷hlins RT, 763m, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
Rock Sweden's Avatar
United_States
248
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The ALB

iTrader: (0)

The same thing started with my car yesterday. Iíve only got a few bolt-ons though. Specifically IC, charge pipe, sport cat & dinan sport tuner.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #11
Beyond Help
Private
Beyond Help's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago Suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
The same thing started with my car yesterday. Iíve only got a few bolt-ons though. Specifically IC, charge pipe, sport cat & dinan sport tuner.
I was suspecting the XDI-35 to be the issue but you don't have that mod. I have contacted TTFS and sent them some logs. I also sent my tuner logs and waiting to hear back from him supposedly TTFS is supposed to reach out to him as well. If it comes back that its nothing related to the HPFP or map than I will be taking car to my local shop to start having it diagnosed. Will keep this thread updated as I get more info.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #12
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
switlikbob's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Sub'd for updates. So far, I am not affected, but have similar hardware setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
Rock Sweden's Avatar
United_States
248
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The ALB

iTrader: (0)

I set the sport tuner to stock and cleared the p0420 code last night caused by the wagner sport cat. The code had been there for many months and this morning it ran smoother. Not sure it means anything...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #14
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
287
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sweden View Post
I set the sport tuner to stock and cleared the p0420 code last night caused by the wagner sport cat. The code had been there for many months and this morning it ran smoother. Not sure it means anything...
Could very well be the car getting confused by the mixed signals from the ECU and the tuner itself.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #15
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
switlikbob's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

The sport tuner is a POS. Ditch it! Didn't read the whole thread and realize you were using one of those. mine started doing the same thing after I drove it for 100 miles. Mine got so bad I actually couldn't even launch the car anymore as the engine would completely stall out when I would try to leave in first gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #16
twin fed
Doc Brown
twin fed's Avatar
919
Rep
2,144
Posts

Drives: 2016 MG MT M2
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Isle of Long

iTrader: (2)

I had this issue and it ended up being a faulty injector. Fixed under warranty.
__________________


Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #17
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
switlikbob's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
I had this issue and it ended up being a faulty injector. Fixed under warranty.
Did you have a check engine light? I actually have ISTA which would be helpful and diagnosing a faulty injector.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #18
Beyond Help
Private
Beyond Help's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago Suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Thought I would share a small update.

I got a revised map to try and fix the hesitation but it did not work. I also filled the car back up with pump gas & flashed stock map to see if it would help but hesitation is still there.

Also this morning when I started the car I got a really loud clinking noise which I suspect to be the HPFP when I gave it some gas it would go away than it would return on idle, eventually stoped after the car warmed up. Will be taking the car to my shop to see if they can't find out what the problem is worst case I'll install the stock HPFP again to see if that's the problem.
Appreciate 1
specka47.00

      05-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #19
twin fed
Doc Brown
twin fed's Avatar
919
Rep
2,144
Posts

Drives: 2016 MG MT M2
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Isle of Long

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Did you have a check engine light? I actually have ISTA which would be helpful and diagnosing a faulty injector.
I honestly can't remember if I did or didn't
__________________


Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
Rock Sweden's Avatar
United_States
248
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The ALB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
The sport tuner is a POS. Ditch it! Didn't read the whole thread and realize you were using one of those. mine started doing the same thing after I drove it for 100 miles. Mine got so bad I actually couldn't even launch the car anymore as the engine would completely stall out when I would try to leave in first gear.
I uninstalled the Dinan sport tuner Sunday. The car hasn't had a hiccup since.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #21
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
switlikbob's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Help View Post
Thought I would share a small update.

I got a revised map to try and fix the hesitation but it did not work. I also filled the car back up with pump gas & flashed stock map to see if it would help but hesitation is still there.

Also this morning when I started the car I got a really loud clinking noise which I suspect to be the HPFP when I gave it some gas it would go away than it would return on idle, eventually stopped after the car warmed up. Will be taking the car to my shop to see if they can't find out what the problem is worst case I'll install the stock HPFP again to see if that's the problem.
Any Updates? I've heard other XDI pump owners complain about the pump being noisy. Mine makes a cricket noise all the time under light throttle application. But I don't have any of these hesitation problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #22
Beyond Help
Private
Beyond Help's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago Suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Any Updates? I've heard other XDI pump owners complain about the pump being noisy. Mine makes a cricket noise all the time under light throttle application. But I don't have any of these hesitation problems.
The terribly loud clinking noise has gone away for now. Will try uploading video of it tonight. Hesitation seems to be getting worse, worst part is its not triggering a check engine light....

Wont have more updates until early next week. Taking the car to mechanic on Monday to have it properly looked at.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST