BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > B-street setup

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-24-2018, 12:10 PM   #67
jnoyes
Member
jnoyes's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Beach MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Hoping they have adequate brake clearance. Not all 18s do. Fingers crossed. The spacers may make the difference.
I just got back into town from vacation and finally had a chance to test-fit the Alzors. Sadly, no go. Even the rears wouldn't clear. The shape of the barrels is such that they narrow too much toward the face of the wheel, causing them to hit the outside of the caliper before they seat on the hub.

I have an RMA from ECS, so they'll get shipped back for a refund. I should have known it was too good to be true.

At this point I think I'm just going to go with the EC-7s. They're known good and won't need any spacers.

Sorry. That does suck. But thanks for keeping the rest of us out of trouble. Apex does seem to be the way. And they are great wheels for the money.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #68
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
I just got back into town from vacation and finally had a chance to test-fit the Alzors. Sadly, no go. Even the rears wouldn't clear. The shape of the barrels is such that they narrow too much toward the face of the wheel, causing them to hit the outside of the caliper before they seat on the hub.

I have an RMA from ECS, so they'll get shipped back for a refund. I should have known it was too good to be true.

At this point I think I'm just going to go with the EC-7s. They're known good and won't need any spacers.

Alzors are on the way back to ECS, and EC-7s have been ordered. I went with the 18x10 ET43 for the rear instead of the ET33 Apex lists as the M2 fitment (Apex confirmed they would fit fine). I want to be closer to stock offset while still having leeway to fine-tune the final offset. The ET43 gives me a full 10mm of offset to play with and still be legal to the Street class rule set.
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 04:02 PM   #69
jnoyes
Member
jnoyes's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Beach MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
I just got back into town from vacation and finally had a chance to test-fit the Alzors. Sadly, no go. Even the rears wouldn't clear. The shape of the barrels is such that they narrow too much toward the face of the wheel, causing them to hit the outside of the caliper before they seat on the hub.

I have an RMA from ECS, so they'll get shipped back for a refund. I should have known it was too good to be true.

At this point I think I'm just going to go with the EC-7s. They're known good and won't need any spacers.

Alzors are on the way back to ECS, and EC-7s have been ordered. I went with the 18x10 ET43 for the rear instead of the ET33 Apex lists as the M2 fitment (Apex confirmed they would fit fine). I want to be closer to stock offset while still having leeway to fine-tune the final offset. The ET43 gives me a full 10mm of offset to play with and still be legal to the Street class rule set.
And the 18 x 9 ET31 front? Do you plan to run 255/275 or something else? This setup keeps calling to me even though I was trying not to spring for wheels this year. But there is another side benefit - with reduced diameter comes a 9.3mm lowering of the car. It's small stuff, but sometimes we are only separated by a few hundredths. I'll take whatever advantage I can get...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #70
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
And the 18 x 9 ET31 front? Do you plan to run 255/275 or something else? This setup keeps calling to me even though I was trying not to spring for wheels this year. But there is another side benefit - with reduced diameter comes a 9.3mm lowering of the car. It's small stuff, but sometimes we are only separated by a few hundredths. I'll take whatever advantage I can get...
I havenít decided 100%, but will likely go with 275/35 square.
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #71
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Apex wheels test-fitted and looking good! (as expected, but I was a little worried after the adventure with the Alzors)

The 18x10 ET43 have plenty of room to spare in the rear, and the 18x9 ET31 fronts have enough space between the rim and strut that I don't think a spacer will be needed even with 275/35s.

Next up is to order the RE-71Rs. They have a $70/set rebate on them at Discount Tire right now too.

Pics below...

Attached Images
    
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 1
CSBM51384.50

      02-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #72
jnoyes
Member
jnoyes's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Beach MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Apex wheels test-fitted and looking good! (as expected, but I was a little worried after the adventure with the Alzors)

The 18x10 ET43 have plenty of room to spare in the rear, and the 18x9 ET31 fronts have enough space between the rim and strut that I don't think a spacer will be needed even with 275/35s.

Next up is to order the RE-71Rs. They have a $70/set rebate on them at Discount Tire right now too.

Pics below...

Looks great! I ended up ordering the same wheels, only with the ET33 rears. 255/275 RE71rs going on w/TPMS on Wednesday. Also a Dinan front bar and whatever my shop can do with alignment. It'll be fun to see if our subtly different approaches make a difference. Are you doing a front bar?
Appreciate 1
CSBM51384.50

      02-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #73
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Looks great! I ended up ordering the same wheels, only with the ET33 rears. 255/275 RE71rs going on w/TPMS on Wednesday. Also a Dinan front bar and whatever my shop can do with alignment. It'll be fun to see if our subtly different approaches make a difference. Are you doing a front bar?
I have an H&R front bar in the garage waiting to be installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 06:32 AM   #74
CSBM5
Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
1385
Rep
2,310
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Looks great! I ended up ordering the same wheels, only with the ET33 rears. 255/275 RE71rs going on w/TPMS on Wednesday. Also a Dinan front bar and whatever my shop can do with alignment. It'll be fun to see if our subtly different approaches make a difference. Are you doing a front bar?
Are you referring to 19" wheels/tires? Assuming you're referencing 255/35 and 275/35-19?

I'm thinking again that with the fat mid-range torque of the M2, on course an interesting RE-71R setup might be front 9x18 with 275/35-18 and rear 10x19 with 305/30-19. Perhaps have a second set of rear 10x18s with 275/35s on them to use depending on the course.
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop, exec pkg
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
1975 CanAm 125MX2, stock, original owner
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #75
jnoyes
Member
jnoyes's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Beach MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Looks great! I ended up ordering the same wheels, only with the ET33 rears. 255/275 RE71rs going on w/TPMS on Wednesday. Also a Dinan front bar and whatever my shop can do with alignment. It'll be fun to see if our subtly different approaches make a difference. Are you doing a front bar?
Are you referring to 19" wheels/tires? Assuming you're referencing 255/35 and 275/35-19?

I'm thinking again that with the fat mid-range torque of the M2, on course an interesting RE-71R setup might be front 9x18 with 275/35-18 and rear 10x19 with 305/30-19. Perhaps have a second set of rear 10x18s with 275/35s on them to use depending on the course.
No, we both went with an Apex 18" setups. They're lighter than the stock 19s, and in the context of prepping for B-street, where you cannot do any suspension mods other than a single sway bar, only so much tire can really be used. Also, I think B-street limits tire width to 285. STU does, so assuming BS does as well. With regard to tires, the RE71 comes in a 285/30-18, which can work in some square setups (but with coilovers and camber plates), and it comes in 19" 285/35 and 305/30 as you mentioned. But the EC7 doesn't come in a 19" with proper offset for the M2. I wanted a matching set (style, not diameter) in stock widths, so it really boils down to the EC-7 being the only choice for me. I would have been OK with 19" in the rear though. Apex's FL-5 is my favorite wheel, but you can't get it in a 10" that will work on the rear of the M2 in any diameter.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 07:23 AM   #76
CSBM5
Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
1385
Rep
2,310
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
No, we both went with an Apex 18" setup. They're lighter than the stock 19s, and in the context of prepping for B-street, where you cannot do any suspension mods other than a single sway bar, only so much tire can really be used. Also, I think B-street limits tire width to 285. STU does, so assuming BS does as well.
Tire size is unlimited in stock/street classes unless something changed for 2018...always has been.

EDIT: Just checked the 2018 rules draft -- nothing has changed. Street class retains no limits on tire widths.
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop, exec pkg
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
1975 CanAm 125MX2, stock, original owner

Last edited by CSBM5; 02-04-2018 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: update on that 2018 tire rules unchanged
Appreciate 1
jnoyes32.00

      02-04-2018, 07:40 AM   #77
jnoyes
Member
jnoyes's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Beach MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
No, we both went with an Apex 18" setup. They're lighter than the stock 19s, and in the context of prepping for B-street, where you cannot do any suspension mods other than a single sway bar, only so much tire can really be used. Also, I think B-street limits tire width to 285. STU does, so assuming BS does as well.
Tire size is unlimited in stock/street classes unless something changed for 2018...always has been.

EDIT: Just checked the 2018 rules draft -- nothing has changed. Street class retains no limits on tire widths.
Interesting. And pretty cool that Street can run more tire in some cases than STU. Definitely good to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #78
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Interesting. And pretty cool that Street can run more tire in some cases than STU. Definitely good to know.
Tire size is not constrained in Street, but youíre limited to what you can squeeze onto the stock-width wheels. A 19Ē with a 305/30 will fit in the rear, but as you mentioned that would require another wheel choice since the EC-7 has nothing in the right spec. If I donít get enough rear grip with the 275 Iíll try the 285 before bumping up to a 19Ē wheel with the 305.
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #79
CSBM5
Colonel
CSBM5's Avatar
1385
Rep
2,310
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Tire size is not constrained in Street, but youíre limited to what you can squeeze onto the stock-width wheels. A 19Ē with a 305/30 will fit in the rear, but as you mentioned that would require another wheel choice since the EC-7 has nothing in the right spec. If I donít get enough rear grip with the 275 Iíll try the 285 before bumping up to a 19Ē wheel with the 305.
To stay in stock/street class you'd have to run 10" rear wheels, so the 305/30 will mount and fit ok on a 10"wheel even though it's mildly pinched as the TRA recommended widths for a 305/30-19 is 10.5"-11.5".
__________________
Current Stable:
2019 F87 M2 Competition 6MT, LBB, slicktop, exec pkg
2011.5 E90 M3 6MT Silverstone II, slicktop, Dinan/Eibach, Apex 9.5/10.5x19 with PS4S
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, 219Ms
1975 CanAm 125MX2, stock, original owner
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #80
jnoyes
Member
jnoyes's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Beach MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Apex wheels test-fitted and looking good! (as expected, but I was a little worried after the adventure with the Alzors)

The 18x10 ET43 have plenty of room to spare in the rear, and the 18x9 ET31 fronts have enough space between the rim and strut that I don't think a spacer will be needed even with 275/35s.

Next up is to order the RE-71Rs. They have a $70/set rebate on them at Discount Tire right now too.

Pics below...

Looks great! I ended up ordering the same wheels, only with the ET33 rears. 255/275 RE71rs going on w/TPMS on Wednesday. Also a Dinan front bar and whatever my shop can do with alignment. It'll be fun to see if our subtly different approaches make a difference. Are you doing a front bar?
Well, they were only on for twenty minutes, but they looked good! Back to all seasons on the stock wheels for another 6 weeks. Weather was crap, so didn't get to play at all with the Dinan front bar.
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 1
CLH76.50

      02-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #81
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoyes View Post
Well, they were only on for twenty minutes, but they looked good! Back to all seasons on the stock wheels for another 6 weeks. Weather was crap, so didn't get to play at all with the Dinan front bar.
Looks great!

__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #82
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Tires are mounted up. I got a TPMS sensor set from the Slovakian source on eBay, and they were just as advertised. I don't know if they work yet, but will find out next weekend. The RE71s are pretty fresh too - manufacture date 43-17.

Attached Images
  
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!

Last edited by CLH; 02-11-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 2
CSBM51384.50

      02-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #83
young1
'17 M2 Mineral Grey
young1's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2017 MG M2 6MT, 2002 E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Very cool Chris!

Please keep us advised as to whether or not the fronts require spacers for clearance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #84
young1
'17 M2 Mineral Grey
young1's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: 2017 MG M2 6MT, 2002 E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Any Dinan rear sway bars needing new home?

Dinan adjustable rear sway bar... if any of you bought the pair and only used the front due to the 1-bar BS constraints...

I might be interested in a homeless rear bar. If someone bought the pair and has a rear bar needing a good home for a couple hundred bucks, lemmee know! (via PM?)

Dave

edit: Update... I've purchased a rear bar.

Last edited by young1; 02-22-2018 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #85
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Very cool Chris!

Please keep us advised as to whether or not the fronts require spacers for clearance.
Yeah, fingers crossed for sure! I have a set of 3mm spacers on the way just in case...
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #86
jnoyes
Member
jnoyes's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 17 BSM M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Beach MD

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Dinan adjustable rear sway bar... if any of you bought the pair and only used the front due to the 1-bar BS constraints...

I might be interested in a homeless rear bar. If someone bought the pair and has a rear bar needing a good home for a couple hundred bucks, lemmee know! (via PM?)

Dave
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #87
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Great news - everything fits!

I was cautious at first and mounted them up with the 3mm spacers in place, but after looking everything over I decided that I didnít need them. I took the spacers off and remounted everything and clearance is just fine. Even without the spacers I can still get a finger between the wheel/tire and strut in the front. Plenty of room to spare in the back.

Iíll get some pictures tomorrow - first practice event of the year. Stoked!

To recap:

Apex EC-7 18x9 ET31 front, 18x10 ET43 rear, with 275/35-18 RE-71R square.
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 2
CSBM51384.50

      02-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #88
CLH
Private First Class
CLH's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Gig Harbor, WA

iTrader: (0)

Oh, and the TPMS sensors from Slovakia work like a champ.
__________________
Chris H. - In the sunny PNW!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST