BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Right turn signal malfunction

07-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #89
HN1989x
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Another member here experiencing this issue. BMW M2 LCI. Rear right turn signal..

Its been turning on and off since Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #90
mrmjk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Sapphire Black

I had my car throw left signal malfunctions multiple times but not as often as some here are reporting. It would mostly happen when on I was on a highway changing lanes. After restarting the car, the left signal would work again without any problem. The car in question is a LCI July 2017.

I contacted my authorized BMW repair service and they changed both of the tail lights under warranty. No costs associated to me.

So this is definitely a well known problem and BMW service has it in their little "problem database". Don't be worried to take it to your dealer.

I hope you'll be able to resolve it just as I did. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:39 AM   #91
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MG M2 LCI DCT

Just happened to me this morning. First time in 17 months of ownership from new. 2018 LCI M2. Right hand side only.

Will see if I can get the dealer to replace both tail lights with the dark line version from the M2 Comp

Suspect it could be water ingress from a seal in the boot. Had something similar on my 1M.

Itís been pretty dry and warm here in UK recently but we have had a couple of days of pretty heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #92
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp 6MT

I've not seen this design before.

There are no water seals to the boot on these lights.

The whole assembly is outside the body, there is no opening into the boot at all.

The wiring harness comes up from behind the bumper and connects to the tail light in the open air.

And the back window rain channels direct the water flow behind the light splashing all over the electrical connector.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:14 PM   #93
EUCSIP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM M2

Garage List
2018 X4M40i  [0.00]
2018 M2  [0.00]
Count me in as another victim of the turn signal fault...going to be repaired under warranty once the dealer here gets US spec signal. Wanted to try going euro lights, but under warranty they had to replace the specific part number...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #94
Anthony1s
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

A couple months back, I went to my dealer for this. They said they took out the taillight and didn't see any damage, so they aren't going to replace it but to let him know if it happens again. I also asked him to let me know if he updates or resets any of the computers, because that might lock me out of the DME so I can't run bootmod3 anymore. Back then, I didn't know this was only an issue with the M2C, not the M2. So then he was saying that the coding is probably causing the taillight error. So I explained to him that I thought of that already, reverted back to stock, and still got the error.

A few weeks ago I was in the dealership and mentioned that it is still happening. He said that he will order a new taillight, but he needs to pull the code to send BMW so the warranty will cover it.

Every time it happens, the error pops up on idrive and in the dash for a few seconds, then goes away. And it doesn't store the error message for the dealer to read. So I started taking pictures of the error. Had it happen 6 times in two weeks.

Went to the dealer earlier this week, showed him the pictures of the error message and dropped the car off with him. He said they checked all the wires and the taillight and everything is working and undamaged, so he isn't replacing anything. He also said the system is telling him to update the FEM and DME and some other stuff and wanted to check with me before he did it. I told him "okay, you can do that" because I learned that update won't keep me from using bm3.

So yea, still haven't been able to get anything replaced yet. Might go to a different dealer in the future, dunno yet.
      09-07-2019, 02:12 AM   #95
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
update the FEM and DME and some other stuff and wanted to check with me before he did it. I told him "okay, you can do that" because I learned that update won't keep me from using bm3.
DME is the engine management module. If you update that you will lose any remap and block BM3 and all OBD remap tools.

Where did you learn it was ok to update DME?

Are you using BM3 now?

FEM is related to lighting so could be relevant.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #96
Anthony1s
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
DME is the engine management module. If you update that you will lose any remap and block BM3 and all OBD remap tools.

Where did you learn it was ok to update DME?

Are you using BM3 now?

FEM is related to lighting so could be relevant.
Yes, I understand all of this. And Halim, the one who makes the bm3 tunes for our cars, told me the update only loses access for M2C. M2 is fine. Source: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1626757
      09-07-2019, 12:51 PM   #97
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Haha. Sorry i didn't realise this was in the m2 section...

N55 not a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #98
kingikra
Private First Class
Rep

Had this twice on the last month. First was right turn signal. Today, by the time I realized that I had a warning message on the gauge cluster, it disappeared so I do not know if it was right or left. Just saw the word signal so I know it is that.

How can I know if the problem is the light itself or a false alarm (sensor issue)?
On top of that, sometimes I hear that the turn sign tick becomes a lot faster between ticks. When I turn it off and on again, the frequency returns to normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #99
DanG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Had this twice on the last month. First was right turn signal. Today, by the time I realized that I had a warning message on the gauge cluster, it disappeared so I do not know if it was right or left. Just saw the word signal so I know it is that.

How can I know if the problem is the light itself or a false alarm (sensor issue)?
On top of that, sometimes I hear that the turn sign tick becomes a lot faster between ticks. When I turn it off and on again, the frequency returns to normal.
Fast ticking means either the front or rear turn signal light isn’t working. In most cases it appears to be the rear. There appears to be a question on whether the car stores the problem or not. When I went in for the one year oil change, they could not find a fault code even though I had multiple times the error showed up. So they did nothing.

I have had a few more problems since then but the car always appears to eventually fix itself. I am going to take a picture of the error message next time before I take it in for the two year oil change.

I have never had a problem with the left turn signal.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #100
RbooneM2
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB

2018 LCI - same issue with right rear turn signal. Have normal maintenance scheduled in 10 days, will address then.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #101
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Replacing just the taillights, like what the dealer would robotically prescribe would just bring back the problem, in a few months.

The issue is that the sole ground connector pin for each taillight is to thin to carry the all the current the LED setup reasonable require.

BMW obviously underestimated the demands of the supplied ground wire because when it becomes overload, you get that annoying, intermittent rapid-flashing turn signals because the relay is not getting the proper ground and interprets it as there is a open circuit.

Running a parallel, thicker ground wired connection would solve this issue. Replacing the taillights is a waste of time when underlining problem is due to the ground wire overload.

BMW has a SIB for the ground cable on the pre-LCI, I'm pretty sure the LCI would eventually be added, based on the feedback.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ess/1VnZ8zZX2B

A wiretap of an auxiliary ground cable like the photo below, would offset the resistance and fix this issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
bobert774.50
DanG1951.50

09-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #102
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Replacing just the taillights, like what the dealer would robotically prescribe would just bring back the problem, in a few months.

The issue is that the sole ground connector pin for each taillight is to thin to carry the all the current the LED setup reasonable require.

BMW obviously underestimated the demands of the supplied ground wire because when it becomes overload, you get that annoying, intermittent rapid-flashing turn signals because the relay is not getting the proper ground and interprets it as there is a open circuit.

Running a parallel, thicker ground wired connection would solve this issue. Replacing the taillights is a waste of time when underlining problem is due to the ground wire overload.

BMW has a SIB for the ground cable on the pre-LCI, I'm pretty sure the LCI would eventually be added, based on the feedback.

A wiretap of an auxiliary ground cable like the photo below, would offset the resistance and fix this issue.
Appreciate the insight - mine has become pervasive lately and is now driving me nuts. I'll finally be addressing it soon since my annual service is due in about four weeks (I wasn't making a special trip to the dealer for it tho it's been a major pest the past month or so).
Poochie2586.00

09-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #103
kingikra
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Fast ticking means either the front or rear turn signal light isnít working. In most cases it appears to be the rear. There appears to be a question on whether the car stores the problem or not. When I went in for the one year oil change, they could not find a fault code even though I had multiple times the error showed up. So they did nothing.

I have had a few more problems since then but the car always appears to eventually fix itself. I am going to take a picture of the error message next time before I take it in for the two year oil change.

I have never had a problem with the left turn signal.
Thanks for that!
My one year service is next month. I'll let them know about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #104
VisualEcho
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I have this as well. I also have some weird spots at the top of the right rear tail-light that look like water spots. Related?

2018 with 9,800 miles. I got the car at 9,400 miles so I can't say if there were issues before now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #105
F87 LCI
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46, F87

2018 with 7,500 miles with same right rear turn signal issue. It happened a few weeks ago intermittently. Took it in to the dealer and they found an open circuit error in the vehicle history. They checked the plugs and contacts on the wire harness and no issues there. They told me the tail light will be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 04:56 PM   #106
VA Jay
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I am having issues with my LR tail lamp. Going to the dealer tomorrow for this.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #107
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MG M2 LCI DCT

Mine is getting exponentially worse. Both right and left. Going in to the shop in a few hours. Hopefully they'll get them replaced.

Getting embarrassing and possibly dangerous.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #108
kingikra
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I have this as well. I also have some weird spots at the top of the right rear tail-light that look like water spots. Related?

2018 with 9,800 miles. I got the car at 9,400 miles so I can't say if there were issues before now.
At least as much as I know, water inside the tail and front lights are normal.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #109
Exar Kun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I just had this come up on mine. Rear passenger light has gone in and out a few times. Usually goes away either right away or when the car turns on again. Hasn't happened in a week or two now. I'm not really that worried about it unless it starts to become permanent.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #110
AlpsRider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
At least as much as I know, water inside the tail and front lights are normal.
Water inside any car light housing is not normal, especially on a new car. It should be fixed under warranty.
Appreciate 1
bobert774.50