BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > ED was a mistake!

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-23-2018, 12:57 AM   #45
champignon
Disrupter
champignon's Avatar
United_States
1402
Rep
2,377
Posts

Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 18 MG M2
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
I have been over to Europe a few times and each time has been different. Some for work, some times with other family.

I actually found the M2 ED liberating and not constrained in the slightest. Sure, I had a pickup and drop off schedule, but I would have those types of constraints on any trip. Everything after that was open to my discretion and whim.

I waited a long time for my M2 (~18 months) so the anticipation probably has something to do with things. The fact that what we did was not tailored to meet work demands or the least common denominator in a groups desires also played a role.

Regardless, the whole experience offered a freedom to go wherever we wanted to go, to do whatever we wanted to do, whenever we wanted to do it and enabled a very fluid and flexible schedule.

Still, I have to say the I would love to have the time & funds to do what you do and spend 6 weeks a year in Europe. There are, as you say, lots of things to see and do in many different countries.

My ED only allowed a glimpse, but it was a truly great time.
Life isn't any better in Europe than it is in N. America, only different. I view my time in France as my "2nd life;" a compliment to my "real" life. I know people there whom I interact with a lot during my short visits, people I know well, but in between trips, we have nothing whatever to do with each other.

Some of the reason for my own repeated trips is my wish to maintain my French language capabilities, which I think would be lost if I spent less time yearly in a place where everyone speaks the language. In addition, I like the lifestyle, the wine and the food, but at the end of each trip I am really glad to drive to the airport and to take the flights home.

There is no place like home.
__________________
Disappointing People for Two Centuries; MT Rules
Appreciate 2
randyt211.00
trey100727.50

      11-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #46
Exar Kun
Private First Class
136
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LCI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
You can set the digital speed display to use kph.
Yeah I had it set to kmh, but because I was on GPS the whole trip, the dashboard display kept showing my next turn instead. It would start out displaying the speed, then disappear after a while.
__________________
Current: 2018 AW M2 LCI
Past: 2010 AW E90 M3
M2 LCI European Delivery
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #47
five3three
Major
148
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: m2c
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Yeah I had it set to kmh, but because I was on GPS the whole trip, the dashboard display kept showing my next turn instead. It would start out displaying the speed, then disappear after a while.

Yes that was a big annoyance so I ended up not using the built in navigation and doing google maps navigation on my phone the whole time. Sucked but I wasn't going to go blind knowing how many speed cameras are out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #48
bobert
Major
United_States
784
Rep
1,096
Posts

Drives: manual shift cars
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Yeah I had it set to kmh, but because I was on GPS the whole trip, the dashboard display kept showing my next turn instead. It would start out displaying the speed, then disappear after a while.
Same thing happened to me, and I didn't really have time to figure out how to disable that while on the trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Yes that was a big annoyance so I ended up not using the built in navigation and doing google maps navigation on my phone the whole time. Sucked but I wasn't going to go blind knowing how many speed cameras are out there.
...so I did the same thing - switched to google maps nav (on a phone), as we preferred that anyway since it announced turns a little bit earlier and was in general a bit more chatty (not a bad thing when navigating a foreign country).
__________________
2018 M2: BSM, Exec, 6MT (ED on 10/5/17, re-delivery on 11/30/17) My BSM M2 European Delivery Story
2013 335i M-Sport sedan: BSM, 403M wheels, walnut trim, 6MT (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #49
randyt
Second Lieutenant
randyt's Avatar
United_States
211
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Rockville, Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
...so I did the same thing - switched to google maps nav (on a phone), as we preferred that anyway since it announced turns a little bit earlier and was in general a bit more chatty (not a bad thing when navigating a foreign country).
Same here, except I used Waze instead of google maps. Worked very well throughout the trip in Germany, the Netherlands & Austria.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #50
NEfan508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
429
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugspitze View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Don't get me wrong...we really enjoyed ourselves too! I'm just being super whinny about not having my car yet. Something's up and nobody's telling me anything, so I'm extra annoyed. I was supposed to collect my car on Nov 1, but 11 days later...no news..."work order open" is all I get. I'm extemely worried that my car was damaged and they're trying to hide it.
Have you talked to Sabrina Knudsen at BMWNA yet?
Sabrina helped

Dealer tried to play games with my build claiming 6MT wasn't available, she confirmed no parts disruption and status wasn't locked in 150 status so they are able?

More expensive options means more profit to dealer


After her phone call to dealer they quickly changed order back to original.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:31 PM   #51
rich8566
Major
rich8566's Avatar
United_States
558
Rep
1,106
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I've done 4 European deliveries and each time it was a fantastic experience.

1. 2007 E90 335i
2. 2008 E61 535xit (twin turbo wagon)
3. 2011 W90 335i
4. 2014 M235i

Also:
1. 2011 X3 PCD
2. 2017 M3 regular dealer delivery.
__________________
Current: 2017 ///M2 manual
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #52
five3three
Major
148
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: m2c
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I've done 4 European deliveries and each time it was a fantastic experience.

1. 2007 E90 335i
2. 2008 E61 535xit (twin turbo wagon)
3. 2011 W90 335i
4. 2014 M235i

Also:
1. 2011 X3 PCD
2. 2017 M3 regular dealer delivery.

I've done two ED's (out of 4 BMW's). While the ED experience itself was great, the negatives from my still ongoing saga (in addition to the decreased savings from 7 to 5%) are making it less and less of a value proposition.

I'm more likely to just stick to doing my Sixt or Welt rentals in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #53
alavigne
Private
60
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

For me it wasn't a value proposition (in fact in Canada, there's no discount for ED), it's an experience proposition.

Of course, I'm not sure what it would cost to rent from the Welt, say, an M2C 6MT for 2.5 weeks and for 5000 miles, in answer to the idea that renting from the Welt would be better.

(I say 5000 miles because that's exactly what I drove in my recent ED from last year).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #54
five3three
Major
148
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: m2c
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: VA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavigne View Post
For me it wasn't a value proposition (in fact in Canada, there's no discount for ED), it's an experience proposition.

Of course, I'm not sure what it would cost to rent from the Welt, say, an M2C 6MT for 2.5 weeks and for 5000 miles, in answer to the idea that renting from the Welt would be better.

(I say 5000 miles because that's exactly what I drove in my recent ED from last year).
I'm with you about the experience as that was great. It's just everything since. Paying most of the car in full in October and still stuck at the port (5+ weeks now) with no known end date will make me think twice next time. Add in property taxes for a car I don't have and things don't look good.

I guess will see how salty I am next time around about this experience and how this process ends up!

5k in a couple of weeks sounds awesome. That's a different story!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #55
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
CosmosMpower's Avatar
1806
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: F80, F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Frisco, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavigne View Post
For me it wasn't a value proposition (in fact in Canada, there's no discount for ED), it's an experience proposition.

Of course, I'm not sure what it would cost to rent from the Welt, say, an M2C 6MT for 2.5 weeks and for 5000 miles, in answer to the idea that renting from the Welt would be better.

(I say 5000 miles because that's exactly what I drove in my recent ED from last year).
I donít think you can rent for 2.5 weeks straight. Iím renting for a weekend and they give 750 km, no way they will let you put 5k miles on their car
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #56
alavigne
Private
60
Rep
69
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I donít think you can rent for 2.5 weeks straight. Iím renting for a weekend and they give 750 km, no way they will let you put 5k miles on their car
Interesting. I guess it boils down to how much/long of an experience do you want your ED to be... if just a weekend or 4 or 5 days, then maybe just going over and renting instead is better. If you are looking for a full-fledged adventure, then maybe ED begins to make more sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:30 PM   #57
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
CosmosMpower's Avatar
1806
Rep
3,594
Posts

Drives: F80, F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Frisco, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavigne View Post
Interesting. I guess it boils down to how much/long of an experience do you want your ED to be... if just a weekend or 4 or 5 days, then maybe just going over and renting instead is better. If you are looking for a full-fledged adventure, then maybe ED begins to make more sense.
Yep Iím renting instead of driving mine itís cheaper than renting snow tires
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:01 PM   #58
MyBimmer328
Private
62
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Spokane

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Yep I'm renting instead of driving mine it's cheaper than renting snow tires
I too decided to rent (X4) after finding out snow tires aren't available for the M2C and realizing I was inside the April 15 timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #59
Proctor750
Lieutenant
378
Rep
510
Posts

Drives: E30 M3
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hattie B's

iTrader: (0)

How could you say no to this...?

Some of the best driving in my life and no need for redline with so much torque in the hills.

Didn't touch a highway until last couple of miles.

Side note: does anyone know how the car generates the "need a break?" message...?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
randyt211.00

      03-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #60
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
srwatters's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
254
Posts

Drives: '19 M2C, LBB, Exec, DCT
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I now fully understand the title and essence of this thread as I patiently wait for my M2C to cross the Atlantic after just sitting in it and making one lap around the showroom at BMW Welt. Had I not done that, the anticipation and wait would perhaps be a bit more bearable... 🤔😳😂
__________________
Current - 19 F87 M2C, 15 F25 X3 2.8i xdrive
Gone - 11 E90 335i, 08 E70 X5 3.0i, 04 E46 330i, 95 E36 M3
Appreciate 1
nomoracin584.00

      03-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #61
Exar Kun
Private First Class
136
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LCI
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I now fully understand the title and essence of this thread as I patiently wait for my M2C to cross the Atlantic after just sitting in it and making one lap around the showroom at BMW Welt. Had I not done that, the anticipation and wait would perhaps be a bit more bearable... 🤔😳😂
Ah yes, the one worst part about European Delivery. I feel your pain. I did 1,500 miles through four countries in my beloved before the agonizing two month wait. Stay strong brother!
__________________
Current: 2018 AW M2 LCI
Past: 2010 AW E90 M3
M2 LCI European Delivery
Appreciate 2
srwatters116.00
nomoracin584.00

      03-16-2019, 11:18 PM   #62
NEfan508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
429
Rep
253
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I now fully understand the title and essence of this thread as I patiently wait for my M2C to cross the Atlantic after just sitting in it and making one lap around the showroom at BMW Welt. Had I not done that, the anticipation and wait would perhaps be a bit more bearable... 🤔😳😂
Ah yes, the one worst part about European Delivery. I feel your pain. I did 1,500 miles through four countries in my beloved before the agonizing two month wait. Stay strong brother!
Try doing ED but not getting the car on the road, winter tires not available on the M2C USA speck (big brakes)

I just got to look at it...

I don't drink warm/cool beer like they do, I don't like white boiled sausages and the women were not all tall thin blondes more like Amy Schumer's

I found a Dunkin' Donuts in Munich that doesn't serve iced coffee WTF?

It's not incredible its memorable!

But, I loved every minute of it, had fun with my son, day trip to Salzburg, nice restaurants and the people was truly friendly/helpful
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #63
ROASTM
New Member
United_States
9
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW M3; 2020 BMW M2C
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Yeah I can't remember what it was exactly, but there was an error variance calculated. I think it was 3 kmh, meaning I was doing 54 in a 50 zone.

I can't complain too much. It was an $81 mistake. If I ever do ED again, I'll know not to go over the posted speed at all. The 5 mph thing that works in most states clearly doesn't apply to Switzerland.
I too remember a flash or 2 in Zurich and coming out of the tunnels in the Alps. About 4 weeks since our ED and I'm expecting a ticket or 2 in the mail...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #64
nomoracin
Captain
United_States
584
Rep
833
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
I too remember a flash or 2 in Zurich and coming out of the tunnels in the Alps. About 4 weeks since our ED and I'm expecting a ticket or 2 in the mail...
surprisingly, I never received a ticket...phew!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:13 AM   #65
FreudeamFahren18
Private
FreudeamFahren18's Avatar
36
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I think I gave people the wrong idea. My wife and I had a great time. I was just bitter at the fact that it took so long to 1) collect it in Europe and 2) the re-delivery here in the States. I openly prefaced my comments with the fact that I know that I was being a whinny b$;&ch.

However, I do feel that BMW dropped the ball on the whole release date thing from the start. For the longest time, everyone was under the impression that the official release date was going to be September 17 because that was the soonest ED date anyone here in the US could get, BUT then we started hearing of folks from Canada getting way earlier dates and then they even started to show up state side soon after. My car was completed by the end of July, but I wasn't able to collect it until September. That really sucked! All I was saying was that I could've just flown to Europe in July, rented a BMW, have the same amount of fun, and fly back home with my car waiting for me in August. Sure, it would've been more expensive, but I think it would've been worth it to have my car 3 months sooner and have that "glory" feeling of being one of the firsts to receive it in my region.

Next, the re-delivery process was also "painful" because it sat at the VPC for 3 weeks with the status of "open work order." It past customs very quickly, so it wasn't even that. Nobody could tell me anything as to what the delay was for. I couldn't help, but to worry that something bad had happened. This was just very frustrating for me because I know the delay wasn't due to the fact that the VPC was backed up or anything...because people collected their cars before me when their ships arrived after mine.

Anyway, it arrived to my dealership yesterday...finally, but then we had our first snow storm of the year. LOL...my luck continues. So, I decided to leave my car there over night in hopes that today's road conditions are better...I think it will be.

I'm sure all my bitterness will fade away once I pick it up today.
ED was a blast for me.
Yes the process is long but you should know this before you embark on doing ED. This forum was invaluable for me and put things in perspective before I decided to do it.
You are complaining about driving your car in Europe specifically in Germany where you can drive on the Autobahn at incredible speeds?
Where else on earth can you do that legally on a public road?
Complains about possible damage to your car is just absurd. Your car can get damaged here the moment you leave the dealership so that makes no absolute sense. You take a risk by driving period.
VPC for me even took longer than yours. My car was hit while driving through Czech Republic, and they had to replace passenger door but even with that disappointment I still had incredible time and will surely do it again. The good outweighs the bad.
I am afraid your post might dissuade some people from Doing ED.
While we can't change how you feel about the whole process, people should understand that doing ED is a privilege not a right. I am glad BMW and few others have this program. Companies like Audi have done away with their ED program so enjoy it while it lasts.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. You view your cup as half empty I view mine as half full.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #66
goku7
Private First Class
goku7's Avatar
United_States
82
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: 2020 BMW M2C
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exar Kun View Post
Yeah I had it set to kmh, but because I was on GPS the whole trip, the dashboard display kept showing my next turn instead. It would start out displaying the speed, then disappear after a while.
yup I concur. same thing happened to me. the digital speed would show for a while and disappear if you set the gps
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST