BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmercode/Bimmerlink with new pre-owned M2C

06-14-2023, 08:57 AM   #1
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Bimmercode/Bimmerlink with new pre-owned M2C

Hi everyone. I am the new owner of a 2020 M2 Comp (HS/6MT) coming from an F80 M3. Loving it so far.

I previously coded my M3 and was planning to do the same with the M2. On the M3 I used the more cumbersome ESYS/Laptop method but now plan on using Bimmercode and Bimmerlink.

In the meantime, on my “new” M2, I’ve noticed that the car is much quieter inside the cabin compared to the M3 which is the opposite of what I expected. It’s actually nice. I’m assuming ASD was coded off by the previous owner. Everything else seems stock (seat belt warnings, NAV warnings).

Since coding using the apps is effectively turning toggles on and off, would I be able to use Bimmercode to see the current setting for ASD (or anything else for that matter) set by the previous owner?

Tried searching for this and came across a few threads where people bought used cars and were told they had to go back to the dealership to flash back to the stock settings which seemed more onerous than going into Bimmercode and just toggling off-on what the previous owner changed.

What am I missing here?

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I’m one of the few ASD unicorns that prefer ASD on (and swap into efficient/comfort mode when I do want it off). So I don’t have direct experience with coding it on/off.

From the reading I’ve done, it seems you need to keep a backup via Bimmercode when you turn ASD off. The you restore from the Bimmercode backup to turn ASD back on.

If you don’t have the Bimmercode backup that was taken when ASD was coded off, then you won’t be able to use Bimmercode to code it back on.
Appreciate 1
trey1001125.00
      06-14-2023, 09:48 AM   #3
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
I’m one of the few ASD unicorns that prefer ASD on (and swap into efficient/comfort mode when I do want it off). So I don’t have direct experience with coding it on/off.

From the reading I’ve done, it seems you need to keep a backup via Bimmercode when you turn ASD off. The you restore from the Bimmercode backup to turn ASD back on.

If you don’t have the Bimmercode backup that was taken when ASD was coded off, then you won’t be able to use Bimmercode to code it back on.
Thank you for replying. I just checked the Bimmercode directions again and see that there isn’t an “activate” option on ASD. Only Deactivate. So I can see how I couldn’t be able to re-activate it as there isn’t an option in Bimmercode to do that.

Not for you as you haven’t coded but for others: That being said, I assume I would be able to see that it is already set to Deactivated which would at least tell me whether the car was coded?

Same with Bimmerlink - since ASD can be controlled using Bimmerlink, would it show the toggle as deactivated if it was coded off previously?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2023, 10:09 AM   #4
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Be aware that ASD could also have been disabled by the wiring harness method (in the trunk of the car, by the amplifier).
Appreciate 2
trey1001125.00
jefe2000740.50
      06-14-2023, 05:43 PM   #5
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
I thought there was a way in Bimmercode to flash a module back to factory settings?
      06-15-2023, 05:03 AM   #6
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Selecting a different model from what actually is (anything other than “F87” in case of M2) can also disable ASD with BimmerCode. You can have ASD back on by selecting the right model again. This may be the easiest way of (virtually toggling on and off) changing the setting and there is a chance that your previous owner have done this way, FWIW.
      06-15-2023, 06:00 AM   #7
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
Selecting a different model from what actually is (anything other than “F87” in case of M2) can also disable ASD with BimmerCode. You can have ASD back on by selecting the right model again. This may be the easiest way of (virtually toggling on and off) changing the setting and there is a chance that your previous owner have done this way, FWIW.
Wow - that is great info! No other changes occur when you pick the “wrong” car?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #8
Kikuchiyo
Private
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Wow - that is great info! No other changes occur when you pick the “wrong” car?
Only drawback I have noticed is an error code being thrown indicating the mismatch of the model. It should not bother you as you are fully aware of that.
      06-24-2023, 07:00 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
OP, if you're familiar with Esys then you'll never need to go to a dealership as you can just load factory settings back into any module with Esys, not "flashing" firmware just applying default settings from the CAFD file.

To disable ASD Yes that's the best way, just select a different engine type or vehicle model. Pre 2015 you could change the engine type and get that sound, kind of fun to choose S63TU V8 turbo in a 4 pot diesel car... but now it just turns off if the wrong engine is selected.

I foolishly disabled ASD with Bimmercode and then had to use Esys to reprogram the ASD module back to stock to get it back on.

The Bimmercode backup function is very dodgy, it only remembers the single last change, so if you make a few over time you can only go back one step.

There's no history log or changes log or anything like that. You just hit "load backup" and have no way to know what it's doing.

Always keep a written log of what you change including previous settings. You'll soon forget what you've done otherwise.

Last edited by doughboy; 06-24-2023 at 07:08 AM..
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50