BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Dealership Wrecked/Damaged M2C During Scheduled Maintenance

05-27-2022, 02:10 PM   #89
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopropham View Post
After speaking to several friends, advisors, etc., I'm leaning more towards filing a claim with the dealership's insurance company. Quite frankly, I just don't trust this dealership to follow through with making this right. Unfortunately, this will now most likely show up on the vehicle's history, but I think the truth is owed to the next potential owner. I was planning on keeping the car for a long time, but who knows, that could change. This is my first M car, and it has exceeded all of my expectations. It's hard to know that there could be something better than what I have currently (for its value, that is). But this incident, however, has caused me to re-think that mentality.

Initially, I was thinking of having the dealership complete repairs + provide some form of compensation to offset the diminished value, inconvenience, etc. (via upgraded wheels, etc.) and not have it reported, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

I did speak to a friend of mine (who happens to be a claims adjuster), and he recommended that I file a claim with the dealership's insurance. I do have comprehensive coverage, but he stated that if I'm trying to get everything repaired + compensated for diminished value, I should file a claim through their insurance and not mine, and it should be a general liability claim (not the typical auto claim). If I filed through my own insurance, he stated it would be much tougher to get additional compensation for my time, inconvenience, diminished value, etc. since my insurance is not incentivized to go beyond repairing the vehicle to what it once was.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with the process of working with another insurance company, since I've always gone through mine - I've never had an accident with another vehicle, only time I've filed an auto claim with my own insurance was for previously owned cars: 1) homeless person vandalized my car and 2) hit and run on my car (minor front bumper damage).

As of today, the dealership informed me that the car was picked up and towed to the certified collision center (though, my BMW app says it's still at the same dealership.. not sure if it only updates if the car is turned on). I tried calling the collision center but didn't get a response, and they are now closed for the evening. Will follow back up with them first thing in the morning tomorrow. Before the collision center can do any adjustments, estimates, etc., they need a decision from me on how I want to move forward (filing a claim or having the dealership foot the bill directly).

I could absolutely be wrong... but doesn't the car update it's location in real time when you open the BMW Connected/My BMW app?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:30 PM   #90
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Update: I reached out to the dealership with stipulations on how they could make this whole (e.g. - in addition to the repairs to make the vehicle whole again, upgrade of wheels, replacement of all tires, cash compensation etc.), and they said they could do everything but the cash compensation and the upgrade of the wheels/tires.. so pretty much they just want to repair the car to how it was.

Also, I received the estimate and it looks like slightly less than what the gentlemen said on the phone. ~11k. The number is fluctuating because of some back and forth between what the repair center is saying for some parts vs. what the dealership is saying. I've anticipated that this would happen. The selected collision repair center is not in the same automotive group as the dealership that caused the accident, so I firmly believe there is no conflict of interest.

Welp, I'm just going to file a claim and will then follow through with legal action once repairs are complete.
If I had to guess, I'd have said the total would be $10k

Don't settle for less.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #91
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
I could absolutely be wrong... but doesn't the car update it's location in real time when you open the BMW Connected/My BMW app?
I thought so too. But when the battery's completely dead, it doesn't look like that's the case. If it showed the location of the dealership within my app when the collision center informed me they received the vehicle at a different location, that tells me it died while in the care of the dealership. I know this isn't that big of a deal, but case in point, just goes to show the lack of attention this dealership has and bolsters my viewpoint of negligence on their part.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 03:23 PM   #92
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Imho, take the deal to get your car fixed to what it was and move on. Taking legal action is not going to net you much. Luckily your damage was cosmetic and there shouldn't be any issues to your car once fixed up
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
KevinM2935.50
OG///M1003.50
      05-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #93
j0oftheworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 01 S2k, 20 M2C

Bummer man!
Make sure they pull the aluminum control/link arms and verify they weren't bent. I would inspect the alignment marks side-to-side to ensure something isn't way out of whack. They should be relatively equal.
      05-27-2022, 07:36 PM   #94
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

They only have to fix the car to it's pre accident. condition. You can ask for upgrades for inconvenience. I would seek getting the car repaired, plus loaner and diminished value. Diminished value should be in the thousands.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 08:55 PM   #95
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROASTM View Post
Quote:
After speaking to several friends, advisors, etc., I'm leaning more towards filing a claim with the dealership's insurance company. Quite frankly, I just don't trust this dealership to follow through with making this right. Unfortunately, this will now most likely show up on the vehicle's history, but I think the truth is owed to the next potential owner. I was planning on keeping the car for a long time, but who knows, that could change. This is my first M car, and it has exceeded all of my expectations. It's hard to know that there could be something better than what I have currently (for its value, that is). But this incident, however, has caused me to re-think that mentality.

Initially, I was thinking of having the dealership complete repairs + provide some form of compensation to offset the diminished value, inconvenience, etc. (via upgraded wheels, etc.) and not have it reported, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

I did speak to a friend of mine (who happens to be a claims adjuster), and he recommended that I file a claim with the dealership's insurance. I do have comprehensive coverage, but he stated that if I'm trying to get everything repaired + compensated for diminished value, I should file a claim through their insurance and not mine, and it should be a general liability claim (not the typical auto claim). If I filed through my own insurance, he stated it would be much tougher to get additional compensation for my time, inconvenience, diminished value, etc. since my insurance is not incentivized to go beyond repairing the vehicle to what it once was.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with the process of working with another insurance company, since I've always gone through mine - I've never had an accident with another vehicle, only time I've filed an auto claim with my own insurance was for previously owned cars: 1) homeless person vandalized my car and 2) hit and run on my car (minor front bumper damage).

As of today, the dealership informed me that the car was picked up and towed to the certified collision center (though, my BMW app says it's still at the same dealership.. not sure if it only updates if the car is turned on). I tried calling the collision center but didn't get a response, and they are now closed for the evening. Will follow back up with them first thing in the morning tomorrow. Before the collision center can do any adjustments, estimates, etc., they need a decision from me on how I want to move forward (filing a claim or having the dealership foot the bill directly).

Negative. The updated from vehicle date/time stamp and all the Metadata it pulls is from the last time you car was on. It is for this reason that i dropped an airtag in it.
      05-27-2022, 11:15 PM   #96
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

I'd honestly would have a broken heart if that happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 03:24 PM   #97
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Imho, take the deal to get your car fixed to what it was and move on. Taking legal action is not going to net you much. Luckily your damage was cosmetic and there shouldn't be any issues to your car once fixed up
Totally agree, get it fixed correctly and try to move on in life. The inconvenience is just the shit sandwich life severs up from time to time… OPs turn to take a bite.

I can empathize though. We just had someone side swipe our family car, and lie about being at fault, amongst other past incidence.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3903.50
      05-28-2022, 04:54 PM   #98
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Understood where everyone's coming from. But quite honestly and at this point, it's more about the principle than the money.

I get it, I'm lucky enough to be blessed with a good life, a good job, and a good car. But the fact that a dealership is this negligence to their customers, it's absolutely unacceptable. It's just not right.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.. I've spoken to multiple people from the forums and several other folks from my local BMW CCA chapter, and they've had similar stories with the EXACT SAME dealership. I'm sorry, but I just can't accept the repairs and move on. If no one speaks up or does anything, who else will?

Priority right now is to repair the car, then I will determine what we can do to make this right.
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2022, 06:21 PM   #99
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I 100% agree with you and I think we are all on your side 100%. The problem is that I don't think you will win and probably why this dealership keeps doing this crap and with little consequence. I admire the fight though and hope for a good outcome
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #100
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I 100% agree with you and I think we are all on your side 100%. The problem is that I don't think you will win and probably why this dealership keeps doing this crap and with little consequence. I admire the fight though and hope for a good outcome
If he gets the press on his side the dealership will suddenly claim it was all a big missunderstanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 06:53 AM   #101
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Basically the same thing that happened to my car, but at my fault I think they just went over a curb or something. total was just under 10k up in Canada. Replacing the bumper shouldn't really affect the value. One note is that I would ask for new wheels. I had one replaced and the other refinished and I'm just not happy with the result. Check all the suspension bits. I had to replace control arms, wheels bearings...
      06-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #102
ROASTM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C; '06 M3; '07 JKU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Negative. The updated from vehicle date/time stamp and all the Metadata it pulls is from the last time you car was on. It is for this reason that i dropped an airtag in it.
Good call - just tried it myself and appears you are correct. Also going to buy an AirTag to put in there as well for when it's at the dealership
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00
      06-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #103
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
Sounds a little on the high side, but I would have guessed $10k, so it’s not far off. I wonder if insurance will fight it and try to get you to go to some broke down shop. Might need to lawyer up.
I disagree. I looked at the damage and immediately guessed 10 to 15k. You'd be amazed what it costs to fix things correctly. That's why you ALWAYS engage insurance immediately and ensure your car goes to the best shop in town. I was rear ended in my e92 m3 and I'm glad I took the offender to the cleaners. You want it repaired perfectly, not good but perfect. That costs money particularly when you want to match paint right down to the amount of orange peel.

My buyer at the time of sale didn't have concerns. It was extremely well documented (another benefit to going to a high quality collision centre) with tons of photos. People are less concerned about matching vins than they are about a properly repaired car with OEM parts and seamlessly matched panel finishes.
      06-13-2022, 08:19 AM   #104
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Update: Collision center is moving forward with ordering parts and will begin main repairs. Speaking to the insurance claim company, they're not willing to replace all four tires, only two of the damaged ones on the passenger side. Should I just go ahead and pay out of pocket to replace the driver's side as well? I can perhaps keep the tires, sell them, or use them for track days (there is still ~6/32 and 9/32 tread depth left).
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #105
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Quote:
Update: Collision center is moving forward with ordering parts and will begin main repairs. Speaking to the insurance claim company, they're not willing to replace all four tires, only two of the damaged ones on the passenger side. Should I just go ahead and pay out of pocket to replace the driver's side as well? I can perhaps keep the tires, sell them, or use them for track days (there is still ~6/32 and 9/32 tread depth left).
I'd replace the tires and hold on the originals as spares if you pick up a nail or something.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3903.50
smknjoe234.00
      06-14-2022, 11:22 AM   #106
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I thought it was common knowledge/established fact that if you mismatch diameters of tires on the driven axle it will produce ongoing wear for the differential (with a LSD, as in the M2c). I was told this applies to all-4 for an x-drive, since it owuld also wear on the center diff/xfer case. Should be able to get documentation of this from dealership or Tire Rack (both were quite definitive w/ me about this w/ past cars; I realize it's self serving to sell more tires, but should back your claim). Best bet would be replace both rears at once, even if out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #107
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I thought it was common knowledge/established fact that if you mismatch diameters of tires on the driven axle it will produce ongoing wear for the differential (with a LSD, as in the M2c). I was told this applies to all-4 for an x-drive, since it owuld also wear on the center diff/xfer case. Should be able to get documentation of this from dealership or Tire Rack (both were quite definitive w/ me about this w/ past cars; I realize it's self serving to sell more tires, but should back your claim). Best bet would be replace both rears at once, even if out of pocket.
I tried to fight this, but the insurance claim is pushing back. I provided the tire manufacturer's warranty guide and recommendations, but they're not budging. I've asked the repair center to go ahead and replace the other two tires on the driver's side, and I will pay out of pocket for this. I'm adding this to my list of 'recoup' things to go after via legal action once I get my car back.

Tire Manufacturer's Guide:
https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PDF/BMW_2...ide_032521.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 02:30 PM   #108
Yak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Sorry to hear your story. Might be an opp to try a new tire.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:59 PM   #109
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Sorry to hear your story. Might be an opp to try a new tire.
The insurance company won't even replace all 4, like they should. No chance they are going to agree to replace with completely different tires.

Good luck OP, I'll continue to follow along. In the end, your car will be repaired and you'll be able to put the incident behind you. But I wholeheartedly back your gumption on making the dealer do the right thing. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I'm pulling for you!
      07-04-2022, 07:10 PM   #110
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

Ouch! Sorry to hear that OP..!! The story from the dealership sounds BS. The M2C is not a fast car, BUT it's fast for its size. The rear breaks lose so easily even in comfort mode. I go sideways all the time with just a little gas after a turn. I'm sure the tech lost control while test driving the car, and joyride was a factor. Get what you can out of the claim. Good luck!
Appreciate 0