BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Almost ready to purchase, but (yet another) OG vs comp thread but not what you think

03-28-2022, 06:05 PM   #1
protamine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Almost ready to purchase, but (yet another) OG vs comp thread but not what you think

Hi,

Recent 991.2 GTS seller. What an amazing car. I'm waiting on a Rivian to come in Q3 and want something that I can DD for the next few months. Thought about a E46 M3 but don't know if I want that as a primary car without sorting it first.

I decided to drive a '17 M2 6MT (on a wet day) because it was local. It had 38k, was impeccably clean. Drove great. MPE. Love the dark gray color. Fresh PS4S, but found hawk brake pads and dynomat in the trunk. Not sure if any other mods, but def wasn't flashed.

Great car, but got me thinking that I'd want a '18, just cuz.

Talked with a friend who said 'just spend the money and get a comp, hold value, s55 mod potential, etc'. So I went and drove an Orange '20. DCT (once again, its in town). The car had a bunch of dings, but had MPE and a bunch of carbon bits and was 71. I wanted to see the Orange color (the car wasn't clean and it was overcast, and I was kind of meh). My 100% dealbreaker is manual transmission so I knew I wasn't going to buy the car. During the drive I noticed it had intake, and I assume it was tuned because it broke loose at 50 on the highway (though it was 45*) and seemed to pull more in line with my 911 GTS vs marginally faster than the '17.

My overall impression though was that the seats weren't as comfortable (though many have said they were similar cushioning), the power was ridiculous (though may be tuned) and the suspension was much harsher (different test drive area though, and salesman kept putting it into S+).

Its not really a cost issue, but has anyone felt this way and gone OG as a result? Or was it this particular example and maybe being tired from surgery all day ETC, just sack up and get a 6MT comp.

Former:
17 911 GTS - 69 Camaro SS 396 - 08 E92 335xi - JB4, 12.2@115
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Not entirely sure what you're asking.

Given the chance, and expendable cash, most would choose the M2C.

Some really prefer the sound of the OG, feel the power is sufficient, and can save some coin, so it works.

I personally prefer the seat feel in the OG, and look in the Comp.

If you're planning on needing more than 450 hp your decision is pretty much made.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

If this is just for the next few months, it honestly doesn’t matter. The experience between the two cars stock for stock, manual to manual, won’t be different enough to matter either way.

They have different wheels and an S55 vs the N55.

The programming for the steering, dif, and stability control can all be easily and affordably updated in the OG.

There is no wrong answer here. I like the character of the N55 car on the street where I have enjoyed both, and know I would enjoy the S55 on track where I’ve only had my tuned N55.

If this were a keeper, it’d be a different story but just grab the cleanest example that’s easily accessible in your color with a stick.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 07:07 PM   #4
protamine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Not entirely sure what you're asking.

Given the chance, and expendable cash, most would choose the M2C.

Some really prefer the sound of the OG, feel the power is sufficient, and can save some coin, so it works.

I personally prefer the seat feel in the OG, and look in the Comp.

If you're planning on needing more than 450 hp your decision is pretty much made.
Thats what I was trying to ask. Most say they feel the same, so I don't know if I just got a weird example or not enough time to dial it in. I'm 5'10 and 170 so I fit in just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
If this is just for the next few months, it honestly doesn’t matter. The experience between the two cars stock for stock, manual to manual, won’t be different enough to matter either way.

They have different wheels and an S55 vs the N55.

The programming for the steering, dif, and stability control can all be easily and affordably updated in the OG.

There is no wrong answer here. I like the character of the N55 car on the street where I have enjoyed both, and know I would enjoy the S55 on track where I’ve only had my tuned N55.

If this were a keeper, it’d be a different story but just grab the cleanest example that’s easily accessible in your color with a stick.
I may not have been clear. It needs to be capable of serving as a DD for a few months until the Rivian shows up. Would plan to keep indefinitely.

Former:
17 911 GTS - 69 Camaro SS 396 - 08 E92 335xi - JB4, 12.2@115
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by protamine View Post
Thats what I was trying to ask. Most say they feel the same, so I don't know if I just got a weird example or not enough time to dial it in. I'm 5'10 and 170 so I fit in just about anything.

I may not have been clear. It needs to be capable of serving as a DD for a few months until the Rivian shows up. Would plan to keep indefinitely.
Then you should get a clean comp. It's more of a true M car.
      03-28-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
No one can really tell you what to do. Plenty of felling in both direction. In reality as a daily driver there is very little difference on stock tunes. The M2C shines as a track car.

Test drive some more examples and make your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:37 AM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Then you should get a clean comp. It's more of a true M car.
Not this again.

The OG makes a better daily for most. The availability of 18" wheels is a big sell, as well as true street pads that don't eat rotors. The Comp makes a better competition car. It's as simple as that. You're going to pay less for an OG than a Comp, and get less when it's sold by the same rate.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 08:26 AM   #8
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

No wrong answer here as both are great.

M2 is easier to daily with the seats and it is a little less harsh on the suspension. Stock for stock the power difference isn't huge and the M2C weighs more. M2 can also fit 18s if that is something that is important to you.

If you intend to modify or track, the M2C is undoubtedly the better way to go, if you just want to drive and keeping stock I'd probably go for the best one I could find of either, both in terms of condition, maintenance and value in the given market.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #9
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
If you intend to modify or track, the M2C is undoubtedly the better way to go, if you just want to drive and keeping stock I'd probably go for the best one I could find of either, both in terms of condition, maintenance and value in the given market.
Not sure it’s that simple.

If you are open to modifying it the savings you get on an OG can be put towards making it a potent dual purpose car. Pads are easier to swap. 18s fit. 35hp/75tq from light mods safely bring it to life.

Again, no wrong path here. Both options present upside and downside.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 09:03 AM   #10
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:

If you are open to modifying it the savings you get on an OG can be put towards making it a potent dual purpose car. Pads are easier to swap. 18s fit. 35hp/75tq from light mods safely bring it to life.

Agreed, and it depends on the tracks you use, and how serious you are about it. Ultimate tunability and speed go to the Comp though, but so does the crank hub failure...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #11
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:

You are right, I simplified it quite a bit. Yes you could take an M2 buy track 18s, and do some cooling mods. But to the same token if you mod an M2C for track it will be faster. I think the OP needs to provide more information and also drive two comparable cars (stock M2 vs stock M2C) and decide for himself.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 02:11 PM   #12
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I daily my 6MT M2 Comp and have been for close to 3 years (it's been my only car during that time.)

I bet the car you drove wasn't tuned, BMW underrates their cars and it's very difficult to tune roughly half of the Comps out there due to the ECU updates. The S55 is a legitimately beastly engine that revs uncommonly high for a modern turbocharged unit, it dominates the experience of driving the M2 Comp imho.

As others have pointed out, the comp has 19-inch wheels and if you're in america, you have to replace the rotors/calipers to fit 18-inch wheels on the car. That may be kinda annoying. Also the brakes squeak and there's not a ton you can do about it.

I don't think there are any "bad" versions of the M2. It's a stupid fun chassis, none of them are underpowered, you can get a manual and they look awesome. I will say that I love the S55 engine in my M2 Comp, but if you care more about sound or if you just don't really want to experience "a bit too much power" you can't go wrong with the N55 M2.

Last edited by Moflow; 03-29-2022 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      03-30-2022, 06:47 PM   #13
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by protamine View Post
Hi,

Recent 991.2 GTS seller. What an amazing car. I'm waiting on a Rivian to come in Q3 and want something that I can DD for the next few months. Thought about a E46 M3 but don't know if I want that as a primary car without sorting it first.

I decided to drive a '17 M2 6MT (on a wet day) because it was local. It had 38k, was impeccably clean. Drove great. MPE. Love the dark gray color. Fresh PS4S, but found hawk brake pads and dynomat in the trunk. Not sure if any other mods, but def wasn't flashed.

Great car, but got me thinking that I'd want a '18, just cuz.

Talked with a friend who said 'just spend the money and get a comp, hold value, s55 mod potential, etc'. So I went and drove an Orange '20. DCT (once again, its in town). The car had a bunch of dings, but had MPE and a bunch of carbon bits and was 71. I wanted to see the Orange color (the car wasn't clean and it was overcast, and I was kind of meh). My 100% dealbreaker is manual transmission so I knew I wasn't going to buy the car. During the drive I noticed it had intake, and I assume it was tuned because it broke loose at 50 on the highway (though it was 45*) and seemed to pull more in line with my 911 GTS vs marginally faster than the '17.

My overall impression though was that the seats weren't as comfortable (though many have said they were similar cushioning), the power was ridiculous (though may be tuned) and the suspension was much harsher (different test drive area though, and salesman kept putting it into S+).

Its not really a cost issue, but has anyone felt this way and gone OG as a result? Or was it this particular example and maybe being tired from surgery all day ETC, just sack up and get a 6MT comp.
Why would you go from a 911 to an M2? Such a downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 07:06 PM   #14
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
M2 comp>>>

Circumstances aside. No question & this is from a OG owner. I wish I got a comp. The S55 is king with the closed deck block & water to air cooling.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #15
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
M2 comp>>>

Circumstances aside. No question & this is from a OG owner. I wish I got a comp. The S55 is king with the closed deck block & water to air cooling.
I disagree. I am quite happy with my OG M2. Never considered changing to a Comp.
Dabozo624.50
///M TOWN16566.50
      03-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #16
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
M2 comp>>>

I disagree. I am quite happy with my OG M2. Never considered changing to a Comp.
Well, that's your opinion and that's fine.

My comment was not in regards to whether or not I was happy with my current choice. I bought my car in 2017. I'm beyond happy with my OG M2. It's on M performance coil overs, forged Apex wheels, MPE with a high flow cat, FBO with E85 making over 400whp BUT I would been much happier with a comp M2 that in terms of subjective measurements is much better. For me the engine alone closes the argument for me. Bigger/heavier brakes and the extra 150lbs doesn't bother me or the sound.

If you want to hang on to the "OG sounds better debate", it better be straight piped because if it isn't then it makes no difference in terms of my ear test (having been straight piped on the MPE, high flow cat & stock cat).

At this point in time I would NEVER switch to the comp because of the resale value on them. Maybe in 2019 I would've switched to it when they were selling at sticker, but at this point I would go for the G80 or G87 because of the technological advancements those cars have made from the last gen.
Appreciate 2
DanG10662.00
Moflow2484.50
      03-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #17
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
M2 comp>>>

The question wasn't whether or not we were happy with our current choice. I'm beyond happy with my OG M2. It's on M performance coil overs, forged Apex wheels, MPE with a high flow cat, FBO with E85 making over 400whp BUT I would been much happier with a comp M2 that in terms of subjective measurements is much better. For me the engine alone closes the argument for me. Bigger/heavier brakes and the extra 150lbs doesn't bother me or the sound.

If you want to hang on to the "OG sounds better debate", it better be straight piped because if it isn't then it makes no difference in terms of my ear test (having been straight piped on the MPE, high flow cat & stock cat).
I have plenty of power and can't use more power as a daily driver. A comp wouldn't have increased my enjoyment. I test drove a comp and on the street there was very little different. I could have easily switched but there was no reason.

I have done an HPDE and my M2 gave me all the power I could handle. I was hitting 145 mph on the straights. Pacific Raceway.
      03-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #18
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
M2 comp>>>

The question wasn't whether or not we were happy with our current choice. I'm beyond happy with my OG M2. It's on M performance coil overs, forged Apex wheels, MPE with a high flow cat, FBO with E85 making over 400whp BUT I would been much happier with a comp M2 that in terms of subjective measurements is much better. For me the engine alone closes the argument for me. Bigger/heavier brakes and the extra 150lbs doesn't bother me or the sound.

I have plenty of power and can't use more power as a daily driver. A comp wouldn't have increased my enjoyment. I test drove a comp and on the street there was very little different. I could have easily switched but there was no reason.

I have done an HPDE and my M2 gave me all the power I could handle. I was hitting 145 mph on the straights. Pacific Raceway.
I think for the turns/track, a stock OG is plenty fine. The power difference between a stock OG and stock Comp is about 30-40whp.

The main help is the closed deck block and the water to air cooling. If someone is tracking their car, the comp is much better in terms of safety and cooling. The seats are cool, front bumper, changes from non LCI to LCI, etc.

The comp has shown to make big power with stock turbos. If I spent half the money I did on my OG, on a comp (crank hub & tune) it would make over 100whp more and 100+wtq and do so more safely.

The debate gets very specific but price aside, I would say the comp is the better bet. Everything in this conversation comes down to timing, budget, use of the vehicle and so on and also picking one over the other shouldn't devalue the second option. This is a mistake I think we make mentally in these conversations and I don't like it.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-30-2022, 10:38 PM   #19
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
I think for the turns/track, a stock OG is plenty fine. The power difference between a stock OG and stock Comp is about 30-40whp.

The main help is the closed deck block and the water to air cooling. If someone is tracking their car, the comp is much better in terms of safety and cooling. The seats are cool, front bumper, changes from non LCI to LCI, etc.

The comp has shown to make big power with stock turbos. If I spent half the money I did on my OG, on a comp (crank hub & tune) it would make over 100whp more and 100+wtq and do so more safely.

The debate gets very specific but price aside, I would say the comp is the better bet. Everything in this conversation comes down to timing, budget, use of the vehicle and so on and also picking one over the other shouldn't devalue the second option. This is a mistake I think we make mentally in these conversations and I don't like it.
I previously said that the M2C was a better track car. If that is what op want, then he should get a M2C. As a daily there is very little difference.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16566.50
      03-30-2022, 10:55 PM   #20
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I previously said that the M2C was a better track car. If that is what op want, then he should get a M2C. As a daily there is very little difference.
That's mostly true. I can't disagree if the car will remain stock as well and the power of the OG is enough, although I would add that the comp would in theory have better MPG, less drone on the highway (applying for manual transmission cars w/o 7th gear) from the dual exhaust pipes, and better throttle response from the bi turbo set up versus the dual scroll single.

If it's just for daily driving and the OG is fine for the OP, that's what I would go with. Comp prices are through the roof.
Appreciate 1
DanG10662.00
      03-31-2022, 03:35 AM   #21
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's mostly true. I can't disagree if the car will remain stock as well and the power of the OG is enough, although I would add that the comp would in theory have better MPG, less drone on the highway (applying for manual transmission cars w/o 7th gear) from the dual exhaust pipes, and better throttle response from the bi turbo set up versus the dual scroll single.

If it's just for daily driving and the OG is fine for the OP, that's what I would go with. Comp prices are through the roof.
My OG w/the silly little twin~scroll beats our F82 M4 to 60 from a dig over and over again

Not sure it needs anymore throttle response… 💨
6speed_M23633.50
      03-31-2022, 08:32 AM   #22
zcp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3, 23 Ariya, 23 Pro-4X

I purchased a new 2020 DCT Comp back in 2019, then a 2017 6MT OG last summer and just bought a 2021 6MT Comp a few days ago. Ask away.
Moflow2484.50