BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Help! Electrical freak out

07-11-2023, 05:49 AM   #1
jaylynn
Rep
Drives: '17 OG M2

Help! Electrical freak out

Hey, I just had this happen to my '17 OG last night right before reaching 60k miles. Battery from 7/19, daily driven. I had pressure washed the car over 24hrs before, don't know if this has any relevance. Had been driving the car fine all day up until the end of the night when I was heading home from dinner. Car didn't act up any time before this. I turned the car on and switched into sport mode (darn CDV driving me nuts) and noticed the sport display gauges had popped up on idrive, and then it all went haywire from there.

Light system malfunction, driver restraint malfunction, emergency SOS malfunction, idrive screen and radio shut off and so did AC. Hyperflash in right turn signal (didnt try the left). Dont recall hearing static in the speakers. Would come back on and off periodically while driving, sometimes immediate sometimes slow. You could hear the alarm tone come on constantly and then you would hear it again very quietly. Car would drive fine, but all the electronics were going crazy. I don't think the instrument cluster ever went out.

Would this be a pinched wire, loose ground, or could this be a sign of the battery on its way out? Seems weird for it to happen much later than OPs (linked forum below) 11k~ miles.

Here's the link to the only thread I found that had similar issues, OPs issue was a pinched (shorted) wire under the headliner but at 11k miles. Another mentioned they had the same thing happen but didnt mention location of the wire. Some photos of the warnings that popped up are in the thread below. TIA

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1625505
Appreciate 0