BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Battery drain 2018 OG

12-14-2022, 02:06 AM   #1
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Battery drain 2018 OG

Anyone had problems with a Battery drain fault and had the battery checked and replaced 12-18m ago. Its now showing battery drain on the dash, I was just going to pop into the dealer but they want £150 just to look at it.... any ideas to check before blowing £150 in cash ? any views on battery life ?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 05:13 AM   #2
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm based in BATH UK, the dealer is the same but now I need to travel further and they dont want £150 to fix, just to look !

Looks like you are US based ?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 05:54 AM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera2RS View Post
Anyone had problems with a Battery drain fault and had the battery checked and replaced 12-18m ago. Its now showing battery drain on the dash, I was just going to pop into the dealer but they want £150 just to look at it.... any ideas to check before blowing £150 in cash ? any views on battery life ?
Let me try to help you.

1) When you replaced the battery, did you have it recoded? Because as the battery gets older the car progressively charges it less and less in accordance to the progressively declining capacity of the battery. This is how the smart charging system works, however when you replace the battery you must recode the car otherwise the car will think that the battery is old and will not charge it to its peak capacity. Thus you will under charge the new battery and cause issues.

2) Do you have any accessories like dash cameras or anything like that plugged into the car? That could cause battery drain over time. Especially things plugged into the obd2 port or into the fuse box or battery directly, because these things may not turn off when the car is off.

3) Do you have any abilities to scan the car? There are cheap apps out there like bimmer link that allow you to have a very good diagnostic scanning, and the app is cheap so it really is a nice little tool to have for any bmw owner.

Last edited by F87source; 12-14-2022 at 06:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 02:24 AM   #4
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

F87source, hi

Thanks, in answer :

1. A dealer fit so I will have a record somewhere, I think about 18m ago. Understand the battery point, sat next to the M2 is a GT3 that is used much less and has a smaller battery.
2. Nothing added like dash cam etc
3. Not heard of any scan accessories, any links would be great
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 02:31 AM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
F87source, hi

Thanks, in answer :

1. A dealer fit so I will have a record somewhere, I think about 18m ago. Understand the battery point, sat next to the M2 is a GT3 that is used much less and has a smaller battery.
2. Nothing added like dash cam etc
3. Not heard of any scan accessories, any links would be great
No problem!

1. If the dealer installed the battery it should have been coded correctly, so no worries there.

2. Interesting so there is nothing to potentially cause drain there. I don't have anything off the top of my head that would explain your situation, so you'll likely need to scan the car for codes.

3. https://www.bimmerlink.app/

This is the link, you will need a wireless obd2 adapter though (you can get something cheap like the vgate icar bluetooth adapters), but this will let you scan the car for any error codes. It is also useful for resetting service intervals and can add gauges to the car if you desire.
      12-18-2022, 06:27 AM   #6
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

How often are you seeing this and what is the exact message that comes up? I have seen it probably 3 times in the past few years and my battery is fine, noticed it when things got cold and car was only driven on short trips. For peace of mind I'd get a cord and app just to check. I'll admit the first time I saw it I was a little concerned but seemed to be situational fluke.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 01:14 AM   #7
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
How often are you seeing this and what is the exact message that comes up? I have seen it probably 3 times in the past few years and my battery is fine, noticed it when things got cold and car was only driven on short trips. For peace of mind I'd get a cord and app just to check. I'll admit the first time I saw it I was a little concerned but seemed to be situational fluke.

Thanks, I drove it on another longer journey over the weekend (40 miles or so each way) and it didnt do it for the first time, so perhaps it is intermittent. I'll take a picture when it does it again. It spoke about discharge and restart and drive, but I did do another 70mile trip before and no change with these messages
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 05:41 PM   #8
lumbrjackedpcj
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB / 2022 X7 M50i

Quote:
My 2018 had a GPS tracker installed by the dealer. They forgot to take it out when I purchased new. Guess they installed them on their vehicles before they sold them in case someone stole it? Kept draining my battery if I let it sit for a while. It was in my truck and had some extra wires coming off the battery directly.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 08:11 PM   #9
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Thanks, I drove it on another longer journey over the weekend (40 miles or so each way) and it didnt do it for the first time, so perhaps it is intermittent. I'll take a picture when it does it again. It spoke about discharge and restart and drive, but I did do another 70mile trip before and no change with these messages
My '17 with a new battery (as of one year ago) complains when there are shorter drives in the colder months. If the car gets driven for 30+ minutes then I seem to be OK for two or three weeks. The car will start, but the messages are there :-/
Appreciate 1