BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > N55 oil drain plug thread diameter?

08-17-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

N55 oil drain plug thread diameter?

Quick question:

What is the diameter of the threads of the N55 drain plug?

Does a new crush washer come with the oil filter or do i need to buy that?

Im not sure if i even want to open this can of worms but is there an agreed upon oil that everyone uses in their N55? I was either going to use the BMW stuff just to keep it simple, or Castrol European 0W40...

Maybe I should be more concerned about weight. I didnt see anything in the manual beyond "take it to the dealer" for oil change info so im not even sure what the recommended oil weight is.

Last edited by Joebie; 08-17-2022 at 06:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:00 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebie View Post
Quick question:

What is the diameter of the threads of the N55 drain plug?

Does a new crush washer come with the oil filter or do i need to buy that?

Im not sure if i even want to open this can of worms but is there an agreed upon oil that everyone uses in their N55? I was either going to use the BMW stuff just to keep it simple, or Castrol European 0W40...

Maybe I should be more concerned about weight. I didnt see anything in the manual beyond "take it to the dealer" for oil change info so im not even sure what the recommended oil weight is.
12mm is the diameter, the drain bolt is m12 x 1.5.

Here is a review I did on the turner motor sports titanium magnetic drain bolt and also detailed the thread pitch, diameter etc in immense detail: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1830240

Yes a new crush washer comes with the oil filter, it is critical you use a new washer every time.

Walmart off the shelf oil is fine, don't fall into the trap of buying boutique oils. Castrol edge 0w40 is excellent oil and will be perfect for your car. I personally use Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 (a relabeled version is Quaker state euro 5w40 if it is easier to find) which is also another excellent oil, motul xcess gen 2 5w40 is another excellent choice.

40 weight is fine and not too thick, alot of 40 weights have bmw ll01 approval meaning it is suitable for the n55 engine (and of course any other 40 weights with similar kinematic viscosity ratings at 100°C). Anything thicker might be a concern, but generally speaking 40 weights are fine (especially ll01 approved 40 weights)
Appreciate 1
Joebie767.50
      08-18-2022, 12:17 AM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
12mm is the diameter, the drain bolt is m12 x 1.5.

Here is a review I did on the turner motor sports titanium magnetic drain bolt and also detailed the thread pitch, diameter etc in immense detail: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1830240

Yes a new crush washer comes with the oil filter, it is critical you use a new washer every time.

Walmart off the shelf oil is fine, don't fall into the trap of buying boutique oils. Castrol edge 0w40 is excellent oil and will be perfect for your car. I personally use Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 (a relabeled version is Quaker state euro 5w40 if it is easier to find) which is also another excellent oil, motul xcess gen 2 5w40 is another excellent choice.

40 weight is fine and not too thick, alot of 40 weights have bmw ll01 approval meaning it is suitable for the n55 engine (and of course any other 40 weights with similar kinematic viscosity ratings at 100°C). Anything thicker might be a concern, but generally speaking 40 weights are fine (especially ll01 approved 40 weights)
Thanks for the detailed answer!

I just am now noticing that the Castrol Euro 0W40 doesnt carry the LL01 cert anymore. I could have sworn it did in the past, am i going crazy?

Is there anything wrong with using BMW branded 0W30?

Last edited by Joebie; 08-18-2022 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 01:27 AM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed answer!

I just am now noticing that the Castrol Euro 0W40 doesnt carry the LL01 cert anymore. I could have sworn it did in the past, am i going crazy?

Is there anything wrong with using BMW branded 0W30?
Yeah castrol edge 0w40 doesn't have ll01, but it is fine if you are not under warranty because it still passes extremely stringent certifications like porsche a40 and MB 229.5. It is also extremely good oil with a solid base stock, and fantastic additive package.

I wouldn't use bmw 0w30 because it is an LL01-FE oil, which is meant for fuel economy and thus is thinner to reduce parasitic drag. This means it sacrifices protection. So I would look for LL01 oil and avoid the FE.
Joebie767.50
      08-18-2022, 09:56 AM   #5
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
Yeah castrol edge 0w40 doesn't have ll01, but it is fine if you are not under warranty because it still passes extremely stringent certifications like porsche a40 and MB 229.5. It is also extremely good oil with a solid base stock, and fantastic additive package.

I wouldn't use bmw 0w30 because it is an LL01-FE oil, which is meant for fuel economy and thus is thinner to reduce parasitic drag. This means it sacrifices protection. So I would look for LL01 oil and avoid the FE.
Thanks again for the informative replies. I'll probably find a 0W40 or 5W40 LL01 approved oil and use that. The Pennzoil that you said you use sounds like a great option.

Do you have any strong opinions about 0W40 vs 5W40?

Oh and based on my research, MANN HU8011 is the OE supplier for genuine BMW oil filters, yes? Cause MANN is half price genuine BMW and im 99% certain they are the exact same filter.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 02:36 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again for the informative replies. I'll probably find a 0W40 or 5W40 LL01 approved oil and use that. The Pennzoil that you said you use sounds like a great option.

Do you have any strong opinions about 0W40 vs 5W40?

Oh and based on my research, MANN HU8011 is the OE supplier for genuine BMW oil filters, yes? Cause MANN is half price genuine BMW and im 99% certain they are the exact same filter.
If you can't find Pennzoil readily/cheap at Walmart, Quaker state euro 5w40 is the same thing just relabeled.

Nope, no opinions on 0w40 vs. 5w40, if the specs are good and the testing results are good that's all that matters.

Yes Mann hu8011z is the OEM filter, I use this exact filter.
Appreciate 1
Joebie767.50
      08-18-2022, 09:51 PM   #7
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep

Quote:
If you can't find Pennzoil readily/cheap at Walmart, Quaker state euro 5w40 is the same thing just relabeled.

Nope, no opinions on 0w40 vs. 5w40, if the specs are good and the testing results are good that's all that matters.

Alright so im sorry to say that I ignored your advice, but for a good reason!

FCP Euro has lifetime replacement on all parts, even consumables, so i just ordered genuine BMW oil and genuine BMW oil filter one time and now I get that for free, for the entire length that i own this car.

The other oil options were Pentosin and LiquiMoly. The car has like 9k miles since its last recorded oil change that i know of so i just wanted to get SOMETHING ordered so that i can do an oil change asap and didnt feel like i had the time to research these other options enough to feel comfortable with them so i just went OEM.

I also called an independent BMW shop near me that I trust, and they said they use the genuine BMW stuff for all their customers unless requested otherwise. They did also say that they use 0W30 in all the new BMWs that call for 0W20, understandably so.

I hope this doesnt make you feel like i dont trust you or that i dont appreciate the info you provided me. I do and thanks again so much!
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      08-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #8
zellatc
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Interesting thread, I'll stick around
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #9
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:

Alright so im sorry to say that I ignored your advice, but for a good reason!

FCP Euro has lifetime replacement on all parts, even consumables, so i just ordered genuine BMW oil and genuine BMW oil filter one time and now I get that for free, for the entire length that i own this car.

The other oil options were Pentosin and LiquiMoly. The car has like 9k miles since its last recorded oil change that i know of so i just wanted to get SOMETHING ordered so that i can do an oil change asap and didnt feel like i had the time to research these other options enough to feel comfortable with them so i just went OEM.

I also called an independent BMW shop near me that I trust, and they said they use the genuine BMW stuff for all their customers unless requested otherwise. They did also say that they use 0W30 in all the new BMWs that call for 0W20, understandably so.

I hope this doesnt make you feel like i dont trust you or that i dont appreciate the info you provided me. I do and thanks again so much!
There nothing wrong with sticking to all bmw parts an oil. You're just paying an unnecessary premium but to many people that doesn't matter. As a normal daily driver the BMW oil is sufficient but if you start tracking the car it's advisable to look into higher protective alternatives.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #10
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Hey I hear you on your request, research and your final solution. Am in St.Louis area, and frankly get oil service done at my dealer over here, and yes I guess I could save some on it. Love to do it, but I have no desire to lug oil in a container to a repository place...no matter how close. Did that in Chicago area for years on all out Brit cars...and those days are done. I also have some strong relationships with dealer, the techs, am allowed to interact and for the extra money I spend it HAS paid off at times where there was some small issue at stake. BUT using stock oil and filter is just fine..and as above if you are not tracking the car, or abusing it as a prat might, then stock is fine for your sitiuation...and mine now for that matter. Road America is no longer on the agenda. Cheers...
Appreciate 0