BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Diff seal leak

07-13-2022, 01:27 AM   #1
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Diff seal leak

I have a slight leak from the tail shaft seal, searching the F8X forums reveals the seals leaking isn't uncommon but most seem to be the wheel drive shaft that go.

Does anyone know if the diff has to be dropped to replace the tail shaft seal? If so I may as well get all 3 done
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I just had a quote that looks like parts plus 3 hours labour from a BMW main agent.

It previously had a pinion seal done under warranty.

If you do go as far as dropping it, maybe go for the upgraded rear mount as well?
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00
      08-20-2022, 04:15 AM   #3
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I just had a quote that looks like parts plus 3 hours labour from a BMW main agent.

It previously had a pinion seal done under warranty.

If you do go as far as dropping it, maybe go for the upgraded rear mount as well?
thanks for the info. Car is actually going in on Monday for all 3 diff seals and while there I am getting the rear mount replaced (I believe the BMW part is improved now?) I've done 104K km, around 40 track days and a lot of spirited mountain km and from research the seal I have leaking isn't common unlike the driveshaft seals/rear mount.
cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 01:02 PM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Having checked the paperwork, the pinion seal was previously changed just 9k miles ago by the dealership that spotted it was leaking on Friday. So, I think that points to either:
1. Incorrect fitment last time
2. Something is more seriously wrong with the pinion bearing.

Appreciate 0