BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Drivetrain Error - 2017 M2

07-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #1
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Drivetrain Error - 2017 M2

Just got back home from visiting Thompson Speedway today for the first time. The track was technical and a lot more fun than others I talked to had previously mentioned. Anyways, I encountered my first Drivetrain Error on track, which had nothing to do with not having enough gas as I had just topped up prior to the session. Anyone experience this, any thoughts?

Car: 2017 M2 stick, no engine mods just suspension, brakes and wheels/tires. About 60+ track days without issue and she doesn't sip any oil, though I can't trust that digital dipstick.

What happened: Not a super hot day, maybe 80 degrees, a little muggy. The error occurred towards the last session of the day. Coming out of a turn, full throttle, error light pops up, says I can drive at moderate pace, power is limited and engine is running rough. I pull into the pits to see if cycling the engine would make it go away, no bueno. I park the car, check under the hood which all looks good, and finish up with my student. After the car sat for a while, I started it up, and the error was gone and nothing showing in the vehicle control menu.

Also, while the car was sitting with the hood open, I got a warning that the hood/engine compartment was hot and to be careful opening the hood. But the hood was already open

One thing I did notice, was that I seemed to be getting a slight stutter coming out of turns with full throttle. I didn't think much of it at the time, thought it may be my driving, but in hindsight...Also, I keep the temperature slider up on my dash and it never moved out of the middle OK spot.
      07-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Any codes?

Things that come to mind with intermittent issues under load are plugs, coils, a bad tank of gas, or your LPFP or HPFP on the way out.

If you don’t figure it out and it only happens at the track, you can use MHD just to log without flashing your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:29 PM   #3
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Any codes?

Things that come to mind with intermittent issues under load are plugs, coils, a bad tank of gas, or your LPFP or HPFP on the way out.

If you don’t figure it out and it only happens at the track, you can use MHD just to log without flashing your car.
Thanks for the reply.

I just tried pulling codes via my v-gate, but no luck connecting. Will have to try again tomorrow when I have a bit more energy for problem solving.

I agree, thinking it might be the coils or fuel pump. But at ~22k miles, I would think this as premature. Bad gas would be the best possibility. I don't think the car started with the small stutter until I refueled on track.

I may have jinxed myself as I was just earlier praising the reliability of the car
      07-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I just tried pulling codes via my v-gate, but no luck connecting. Will have to try again tomorrow when I have a bit more energy for problem solving.

I agree, thinking it might be the coils or fuel pump. But at ~22k miles, I would think this as premature. Bad gas would be the best possibility. I don't think the car started with the small stutter until I refueled on track.

I may have jinxed myself as I was just earlier praising the reliability of the car
Well, not exactly the easiest 22k miles you’ve put on the car, but definitely the most fun!

Hopefully something easy like gas, but let us know how it plays out.
Appreciate 1
dvas518.00
      07-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

FWIW, I have gotten those 'underhood hot' cautions most track days. I'd be suspecting heat soak and related intelligent shutdowns by the software, unless you get codes to suggest more serous malfunctions. My 228 would occasionally go into limp mode when I went from cruising to sudden acceleration (passing) and I think there is a kind of 'lug-monitor' that will throw limp mode if you jump on it too fast. Would assume that would be overactive at track temps/loads.
Appreciate 1
dvas518.00