BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Recommendations for Road Trip - CHI

10-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
TomKazanski
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Recommendations for Road Trip - CHI

Looking for a road recommendation in the Greater Chicagoland Area to let the new M2C stretch is legs a little down a windy road. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Pretty timely post! I've been doing a lot of research on this given the limited number of options we have. Consensus seems to be Galena territory area. I picked up my M2 from a dealer in Dubuque in August so I had the chance to drive some of the main roads in a rental car but unfortunately was babying the M2 all the way back and it was darker out so I didn't go crazy.

Highway 20 between Stockton and Elizabeth is beautiful with some double lane passing areas and has long sweeping turns and great views. Supposedly some of the roads once you get into Galena are unreal.

Here is the high-level itinerary of the fall themed day-trip I'm taking with my GF tomorrow, if you plug it in on google maps you can see all of the elevation changes and twistys. If you see a LBB M2 out there, it's probably me!

-Chicago to "Galena Territory" (you can legit type "Galena Territory" into google and it brings up a good place on the map)
-Galena Territory to random downtown Galena location (ie: Galena Brewing Company)
-Downtown Galena location to Scales Mound (this is a town name apparently)
-Scales Mound to Dittmar Ochard (for pumpkin and apple picking)
-Elizabeth Scales Mound Road back south to US 20 and then head back towards Chicago.
Appreciate 2
      10-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
TomKazanski
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nice tips. It’s a beautiful day today for a ride. Hope you enjoy. Love to hear if the route was as good as you thought.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKazanski View Post
Nice tips. It’s a beautiful day today for a ride. Hope you enjoy. Love to hear if the route was as good as you thought.
YES! It was phenomenal. I'm from Pennsylvania originally so I've always been disappointed by how flat and straight Illinois is. But I've never experienced roads like I have today. Highlights are really:

-Route 20 going westbound between Stockton and Galena where there are plenty of nice 2 lane passing sections with winding turns, vast views and decent elevation changes (note: eastbound doesn't have as many 2 lane portions so you could get stuck behind slow pokes).
-Backroads between downtown Galena and the town of Scales Mound.
-AND the entirety of Elizabeth Scales Mound Road... Didn't see a soul the entire way and tons of foliage and long sweeping turns with dynamic elevation changes. ->> This is what the M2 was 'effing made for.

While the roads from Route 20 into "Galena Territory" were nice and windy, they were very residential and hard to feel really comfortable letting loose. The 3 sections listed above, however, were simply unbelievable.

We did it all in day and I felt a little rushed (including lunch at Galena Brewing, walking around main street in Galena and then doing the Pumpkin patch). Honestly, next time I would definitely consider getting a room in Galena for the night to enjoy that quaint little town and then have more time to hit all the roads in the area, according to Motorcycleroads.com (a great source for nice roads), there are many roads around there that are similar to Elizabeth Scales Mound Road. 10/10 my man, please go and let me know what you think!
Appreciate 1
QM287.00
      02-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #5
TomKazanski
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Doing this as soon as we thaw out.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
DriftlessBimmer
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C

Long time lurker..finding roads is a pet hobby of mine. The other guys are touching on some great roads, as a Wisconsinite I can tell you, you should just head north. Between the Driftless area in the west, and the Kettle Morraine region in Southern Wisconsin, you have some great options nearby.

The Driftless region has some of the best roads in the entire Midwest.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftlessBimmer View Post
Long time lurker..finding roads is a pet hobby of mine. The other guys are touching on some great roads, as a Wisconsinite I can tell you, you should just head north. Between the Driftless area in the west, and the Kettle Morraine region in Southern Wisconsin, you have some great options nearby.

@DriftlessBimmer can you provide a route or two? I'd def be interested in checking out some of what southern Wisconsin has to offer... also, are there any nice towns or sights that are part of the route(s)? Makes it easier to escape the city if there's a little destination on the itinerary!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMackAttack View Post
@DriftlessBimmer can you provide a route or two? I'd def be interested in checking out some of what southern Wisconsin has to offer... also, are there any nice towns or sights that are part of the route(s)? Makes it easier to escape the city if there's a little destination on the itinerary!
Second that. This winter is making me really look forward to spring time.
Definitely doing a cruise as soon as it's above 40 and the salt is washed away!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
schoobs
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:

Thirded! Can't wait to get winters off and let her loose!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #10
DriftlessBimmer
Rep

I will follow up in the am..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #11
DriftlessBimmer
Rep

Alright, I have a ton of suggestions and am waiting for a flight to finish boarding. The Driftless area in general is chock full of sweeping turns, elevation changes, switchbacks, and beautiful scenery. A particularly great stretch of highway is 33 west of Reedsburg to La Crosse. A 2 seater club I have driven with refers to as the Tail of The Badger. The stretch past Wildcat Mountain state park is awesome.

Closer to Illinois, departing west on Janesville 14 then heading north on H to 59. Take 59 west to 1 north then head West on 92 to W. W west has a fantastic wide sweep with a great Hill climb up and then down into New Glarus, which is a cute Swiss Village with some great restaurants and the eponymous brewery. Heading west out of New Glarus provides some great roads, highway h south of town is particularly great. From there, there are tons of great options.

If I get time I will follow up with some actual routes and Google maps links in different areas but wanted to keep this thread going.
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #12
mtechnik3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Great thread - these tips are awesome - thank you! I'm in the Chicagoland area. Placing an order for M2C soon. This will be helpful when the time comes for a nice break-in drive outside the suburbs.
      03-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #13
TomKazanski
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Alright, I have a ton of suggestions and am waiting for a flight to finish boarding. The Driftless area in general is chock full of sweeping turns, elevation changes, switchbacks, and beautiful scenery. A particularly great stretch of highway is 33 west of Reedsburg to La Crosse. A 2 seater club I have driven with refers to as the Tail of The Badger. The stretch past Wildcat Mountain state park is awesome.

Closer to Illinois, departing west on Janesville 14 then heading north on H to 59. Take 59 west to 1 north then head West on 92 to W. W west has a fantastic wide sweep with a great Hill climb up and then down into New Glarus, which is a cute Swiss Village with some great restaurants and the eponymous brewery. Heading west out of New Glarus provides some great roads, highway h south of town is particularly great. From there, there are tons of great options.

If I get time I will follow up with some actual routes and Google maps links in different areas but wanted to keep this thread going.
Google maps would be sweet. Picture is worth a thousand words.
Appreciate 0