BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What did you do to your M2C today?

06-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #2245
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
Got these dry CF mirror caps only for $118 from eBay, will check how they fit tomorrow..
M2C

In the pick below you can see my small misfortune. If you you look closely at the mirror mount in the background you can see its position, which is important because you want to be lined right up the middle of the mount. If you are lined up, the mirror pops off quite readily; if off-center, then you will be likely laying the mirror to rest and coughing up $197.92 to your local BMW dealer for a new one. . . driver side mirror more expensive, so I would advice you start on the less expensive (passenger) side.

Many videos online on the topic. These include individuals just 'yanking' the mirror cap off and others prying the mirror cap slightly off and using a mallet to pound it fully off. In my initial attempts and experience, neither is the best approach . . . obviously others have had success that I did not, so it is your call. Ultimately, it just seemed the removing the mirror caps was an all-or-none proposition, and I could not get either of the described approaches to work.

My approach obviously came at a cost, but was pretty simple and involved removing the mirror and un-clipping the mirror cap from within the housing. Hopefully, my tip above will prevent you similar mishap. Also, in some videos (M2?) there are three clips that are pinched together with something like needle-nose pliers. My M2C only had two clips and they only need to be pushed to the side with a flat-head screwdriver, or similar tool, not pinched. The outer clips are easiest to manipulate and once disengaged, the inner clip will just pull off with a little tug on the mirror cap.

FYI, my CF mirror caps are OEM straight from BMW.

Good luck!

///AVM
Wait I thought you didn't even have an m2 and just like hanging out here??
So what if he does not own a M2? His response would have just been just as valid. People think ownership puts you in this higher echelon of knowledge. Remember we put so much weight on reviewers opinion and they hardly own their cars 😉
Well he was showing the fact that he broke his mirror. I was only curious
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #2246
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2COMP View Post
Got these dry CF mirror caps only for $118 from eBay, will check how they fit tomorrow..
M2C

In the pick below you can see my small misfortune. If you you look closely at the mirror mount in the background you can see its position, which is important because you want to be lined right up the middle of the mount. If you are lined up, the mirror pops off quite readily; if off-center, then you will be likely laying the mirror to rest and coughing up $197.92 to your local BMW dealer for a new one. . . driver side mirror more expensive, so I would advice you start on the less expensive (passenger) side.

Many videos online on the topic. These include individuals just 'yanking' the mirror cap off and others prying the mirror cap slightly off and using a mallet to pound it fully off. In my initial attempts and experience, neither is the best approach . . . obviously others have had success that I did not, so it is your call. Ultimately, it just seemed the removing the mirror caps was an all-or-none proposition, and I could not get either of the described approaches to work.

My approach obviously came at a cost, but was pretty simple and involved removing the mirror and un-clipping the mirror cap from within the housing. Hopefully, my tip above will prevent you similar mishap. Also, in some videos (M2?) there are three clips that are pinched together with something like needle-nose pliers. My M2C only had two clips and they only need to be pushed to the side with a flat-head screwdriver, or similar tool, not pinched. The outer clips are easiest to manipulate and once disengaged, the inner clip will just pull off with a little tug on the mirror cap.

FYI, my CF mirror caps are OEM straight from BMW.

Good luck!

///AVM
Wait I thought you didn't even have an m2 and just like hanging out here??
So what if he does not own a M2? His response would have just been just as valid. People think ownership puts you in this higher echelon of knowledge. Remember we put so much weight on reviewers opinion and they hardly own their cars 😉
Well he was showing the fact that he broke his mirror. I was only curious
All good, just merely stating a point since this comes up often.

Sidebar - that LBB is something!
      06-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #2247
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
I'm less than 10 minutes from this shop. I want a full review!!! I hope it sucks or else I know where my next chunk of change is going
Well, so far I'm SUPER impressed.

I dropped the car off at 9:30 today, met Steve Dinan and Chris gave me a tour of the shop and what they're working on. The plan was to pick up the car on Monday afternoon as they'd need two days.

(Wow. Some people have waaaaaaay too much money.)

Just got a call from Chris at 5 that the CBC, heat exchanger, M4 intakes, & oil catch can are all done, the car is being buttoned up, and all that's left is to flash and test. That'll be done tomorrow, so I can pick up the car Friday afternoon and have it for the weekend.

Since the buddy I'm staying with is a SCCA racer, we're excited to have a chance to go out and play a bit. And we're going to Napa in a group, but will need to take two cars. Since the M2C will be done.....

Oh-- and Carbahn provided a free loaner. Since it's 75 miles from where I am to their shop AND I have to pick up guests flying in for my wife's 50th party, that was a HUGE thing.

So far-- super clean shop, VERY sharp tech's who really REALLY know their cars. I'm pleased.

I'll be even more pleased when I find out what +73 hp, +94 trq, 549 hp, 564 trq at the flywheel feels like at sea level (numbers from their website).

Since the car lives in Denver, it's already got a ~12% boost just being down in the land of the thick air!
Anxiously waiting to hear your review of the tune!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #2248
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

p3
Attached Images

06-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #2249
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Had my first oil change after the 1200 mile break in. 1 year, 5100 miles. Still loving this car! One of the bright parts of an otherwise admittedly crappy year for all of us...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #2250
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pip View Post
Activated CarPlay + FullScreen + VIM today

A welcomed hi-tech centre piece to an otherwise classic (and very functional) F8x BMW interior

Thank you kubax86 !!
One of my favorite mods!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #2251
DAS_HSM2C
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Gave the e92 replacement it's first detail since releasing the original owner of responsibility. [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #2252
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Is the instrument panel plastic? If so, put a little bit of toothpaste on it and gentle rub into the scratches. It will help to remove minor scratches.
Airplane windshield polish works.
And where are we suppose to get it? My local airplane store?

Just f'ing with you

I haven't cleaned my interior yet 18 months, just a Vac and damp towel, only 2.5k miles

I wonder if compressed air from staples (pc cleaner) would work? I really do not want to touch it
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #2253
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Is the instrument panel plastic? If so, put a little bit of toothpaste on it and gentle rub into the scratches. It will help to remove minor scratches.
Airplane windshield polish works.
And where are we suppose to get it? My local airplane store?

Just f'ing with you

I haven't cleaned my interior yet 18 months, just a Vac and damp towel, only 2.5k miles

I wonder if compressed air from staples (pc cleaner) would work? I really do not want to touch it
Actually compressed air is what my dealer uses to clean the instrument cluster, consoles, etc. does not leave any residue and fast. And most "dirt" are dust particles anyways.
      06-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #2254
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlebi View Post
Is there an actual way to clean this without destroying it??
My technique...

Over the last year, when I detail the car, I have removed dust and dried droplets from my instruments without any scratches... yet.

I use a brand new soft microfiber cloth, folded and moderately damp with water only, to very gently dab the surfaces of the instruments until the dust and droplets are gone.

If I need to wipe a spot, I barely touch the surface as I gently wipe the offending substance away.

Then I use a brand new dry folded soft microfiber cloth to dab the surface dry, no wiping.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
KevM2723.50
      06-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #2255
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I just finished using this plastic polish product called Novus and it nicely removed the fine scratches
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #2256
bjorn///M
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Nice. Shop.

Wow.

Car will be done Monday.
Today is the day. Excited for you. Waiting for your review.
      06-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #2257
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn///M View Post
I thought it was done last Friday?

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #2258
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn///M View Post
Quote:

///AVM
Picked up the car late in the afternoon on Friday.

Drove home in traffic.

Spent Saturday wine tasting in Napa (Pine Ridge, Mending Wall & Phifer Pavitt), and drove fairly sedately with passengers and a few cases of wine in the trunk.

Sunday was pool party/dinner/a LOT of expensive wine.

Dropping Wife & friend off at SFO today (Mon) and then heading up the coast to Crescent City tonight, Portland Tuesday and Gig Harbor Wednesday. I'll have a better idea of capabilities then.

My buddy (SCCA Spec-Miata racer) drove it back from Carbahn. In his words (for the little bit we could open it up after fighting Friday afternoon traffic): "This thing's a beast!"

R.
Appreciate 4
KevM2723.50
///AVM2529.50
Thescout134947.00
      06-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #2259
bjorn///M
Private
Philippines
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Picked up the car late in the afternoon on Friday.
Quote:

///AVM
must've had missed that part. I bet it runs like a "beast". enjoy your car and give us more update. Thanks!
///AVM2529.50
      06-22-2020, 11:04 PM   #2260
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Drove from the Bay Area to Crescent City.

If you are ANYWHERE near Northern California, I really, really, REALLY recommend Hwy 1 from north of Fort Bragg to the intersection of 101. It might just be one of the best roads on the planet.

R.
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2020, 11:48 PM   #2261
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition, HS6MT

Quote:

If you are ANYWHERE near Northern California, I really, really, REALLY recommend Hwy 1 from north of Fort Bragg to the intersection of 101. It might just be one of the best roads on the planet.

R.
Love the tip. I'll be up past ft Bragg next month in the M2c with my wife for a weekend at a resort. Looks like you are referring to highway 20 and it looks fabulous. I'll be hitting that up in the way home!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 12:04 AM   #2262
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFM2C6MT View Post
Love the tip. I'll be up past ft Bragg next month in the M2c with my wife for a weekend at a resort. Looks like you are referring to highway 20 and it looks fabulous. I'll be hitting that up in the way home!
You want 1N from Westport (just north of Fort Bragg) to Leggett (the intersection of 1N and 101).

In order of Utterly Amazing, Truly Amazing, and Amazing, it goes Yellow, Red, Gold.

(This is from the Butler Map that I use on my GS-- I rode this N to S last year-- driving S to N this time.)
Attached Images

Last edited by flybigjet; 06-23-2020 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 4
///AVM2529.50
Kankles1484.50
      06-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #2263
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

I just received the following for my M2C:
- M performance carbon fiber front splitter
- M performance carbon fiber diffuser
- M performance carbon fiber steering wheel trim
- carbon fiber DCT knob, surround, and e brake
- BMW wheel locks

Will be installing in the next week or two.

Should look good since my car came with carbon fiber kidney grille, side grilles, mirror caps, M Performance exhaust and carbon fiber tips.
Appreciate 3
///Pip286.00
mcvaughan704.00
ChrisK4449.00
      06-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #2264
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
I just received the following for my M2C:
- M performance carbon fiber front splitter
- M performance carbon fiber diffuser
- M performance carbon fiber steering wheel trim
- carbon fiber DCT knob, surround, and e brake
- BMW wheel locks

Will be installing in the next week or two.

Should look good since my car came with carbon fiber kidney grille, side grilles, mirror caps, M Performance exhaust and carbon fiber tips.
Do show photos when you get the parts on!

I think I'll do all the interior parts you're doing, the steering wheel trim and the interior kit (knob,surround handbrake).
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #2265
Yadadameans
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Installed Ap Racing 9660 BBK few days ago.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
mcvaughan704.00
      06-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #2266
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

R.
Check out Jedidiah Smith campground which is just South of Crescent City. It is an amazing redwood Grove with the crystal clear Smith river running through it. 👍
Appreciate 0