BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > 223 - M2C Street/Track Build

02-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #67
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Still on stock sway bars? What are your plans for bars?
      02-26-2022, 02:54 PM   #68
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
Still on stock sway bars? What are your plans for bars?
Yeah stock sways. Only suspension mod so far has been the Nitron R1 kit - wanted to keep it as simple & straightforward as we could while we were dialing them in. Tried to make this stage of the build as easy to get to speed as we could too.

Moving forward from this point I’m not sure yet. Likely will do something with the sways but haven’t ironed out all the details yet.
Appreciate 1
Rumbloki176.00
      03-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #69
OG Shark
Rep

More Pics from SLB...

Appreciate 5
      03-02-2022, 04:05 PM   #70
OG Shark
Rep

Have some video from Super Lap Battle starting to roll in

Appreciate 7
inTgr8r2431.50
neonbrown274.50
Rumbloki176.00
MooMooM21817.50
      03-18-2022, 09:27 AM   #71
OG Shark
Rep

Mission Accomplished!!!

2:22.29 at COTA!!!

Headed back out to Circuit of the Americas a couple of days ago. Since the last time there at Super Lap Battle we have continued to work with Bend Calibration to perfect the tune. Other than that no changes were made to the car. Grabbed a fresh set of Pirellis & headed out.

Hit the 2:22 on only the 2nd hot lap. Was still feeling out the braking points and actually pushed a bit too far going into both 1 & 12 and missed both apexes. Then coming out of 18 had some lateral g induced fuel starvation and wasn't able to pick back up the throttle until the exit of 19. So there is actually some decent time still to be had. Unfortunately had a left front tire failure shortly after which ended my day on slicks.

Absolutely thrilled with what we have been able to do with this car so far. 2:22.29 was still a little bittersweet though as I feel there was at least another second if not more with a clean lap and resolving the starvation but it was awesome to hit our time goal. We set out with the goal to develop and show what can be done with simple but well developed modifications. The car is still completely comfortable on the street & can absolutely be a daily driver. The switch over from street to track and back is simple & fast. To me it's the perfect mix of street & track.

Here is the final build specs for this stage:

Nitron NTR R1 (our OG Shark Motorsport / Inertia Laboratory custom spec)
Bend Calibration flex fuel kit & tune
Wagner intercooler & charge pipe
EU5 injectors
iPE exhaust
Essex/AP Racing brakes front & rear
Signature Wheels (various models)
OG Shark Motorsport half cage
Cobra Nogaro seats with Bray Krause mounts
Safecraft 6pt harnesses
M235iR wing

Now that we have achieved the goals for this build it is really time to have fun with the car... stay tuned as we really push this car to the limit while still maintaining it's ability to be a full time street car
Appreciate 5
///Mobbin1478.00
MooMooM21817.50
inTgr8r2431.50
Rumbloki176.00
      03-18-2022, 04:12 PM   #72
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Killer pics. Congrats on hitting the target in short order.

Sucks seeing two posts about fuel starvation on here in the same week. First an OG N55 that smoked a piston and now this.

Guess it’s a good thing I’m slow…
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      03-18-2022, 10:10 PM   #73
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
Killer pics. Congrats on hitting the target in short order.

Sucks seeing two posts about fuel starvation on here in the same week. First an OG N55 that smoked a piston and now this.

Guess it’s a good thing I’m slow…
So in my case its from sustained lateral g's pushing the fuel to the driver side - and while still loaded like that going to hard throttle. With the OG there is a solution for it (I had this happen to me in the exact same spot in my OG) available from Dinan. So if you find that situation happening there is a fix available. We need to dig in to the comp and figure out a solution - the next phase of the build is going to add a decent amount more grip.
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2431.50
      03-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #74
OG Shark
Rep

Full lap compilation around COTA from Super Lap Battle

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #75
OG Shark
Rep

Phase 2 starting...

Now that we have achieved the goal for the first stage of the build (sub 2:23 at COTA in a comfy street car) - time to start getting a bit serious with this car. Everything that has been done on this car to this point has been with the purpose of improving performance while maintaining excellent street manners in a very straightforward and repeatable process. Time now to relax the strict street guideline and really have some fun. Still going to be a street car - and not the kind of street car that you absolutely dread to drive on the street... All the creature comforts are still going to be there - everything that makes this platform one of the best dual duty options available will be retained. The ride is going to lean more towards track use though instead of the bigger compromise that we had to do with the previous stage. The previous setup was certainly no slouch though (fastest lap for a F8x at COTA...) but we did make sure the ride level was at least as good as oem. Power is also going to get kicked up.

Phase 2 Mod List:
Full Race Turbo Upgrade
Active Autowerke catless downpipes (will see how long I last catless)
Bend Calibration errrr recalibration
do88 intake
do88 front & side intercooler radiators
do88 engine oil
Mishimoto DCT cooler
Nitron 3-Way Dampers
SPL - full F87 offering
KMP diff bracket
Revshift poly mounts
Bimmerworld oil level sensor & spacer
Fuel something something starvation fix something
Aero (real, functional aero)

Pics to come as the build progresses. Back out to COTA in June for retesting!
Appreciate 3
tom @ eas8207.50
///Mobbin1478.00
inTgr8r2431.50
      04-23-2022, 09:44 AM   #76
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Power is also going to get kicked up.

Phase 2 Mod List:
Full Race Turbo Upgrade
Active Autowerke catless downpipes (will see how long I last catless)
Bend Calibration errrr recalibration
do88 intake
do88 front & side intercooler radiators
do88 engine oil
Mishimoto DCT cooler
Nitron 3-Way Dampers
SPL - full F87 offering
KMP diff bracket
Revshift poly mounts
Bimmerworld oil level sensor & spacer
Fuel something something starvation fix something
Aero (real, functional aero)

Pics to come as the build progresses. Back out to COTA in June for retesting!
Nice. Curious how these turbos drive on the street.

Last edited by ///393; 04-26-2022 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      05-02-2022, 01:16 PM   #77
Rumbloki
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Faster than most

Do you have any plans for control arms or monoballs?
If you did one at a time. Where would you start?
      05-02-2022, 07:34 PM   #78
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Howdy! How do you like the R1's? A guy I know was running a set around here but he had major noise issues with his. How loud are they on the street?

For fuel starvation, I've seen some folks have fuel cut on say a quarter tank but I've run down to empty before no issues (but still had over a gallon left when I filled up). Now to be safe, I fill up once I hit the orange 50km left of range and haven't had any issues.
      05-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #79
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbloki View Post
Do you have any plans for control arms or monoballs?
If you did one at a time. Where would you start?
As a part of this more track oriented phase yes we are replacing all the arms with their SPL counterparts. Also installing the KMP diff bracket (seeing some signs of issues with the seals).

Unless you are trying to address something specific in the car would generally start with the front. Monoballs are a nice add on their own to help sharpen up the front. If you want to get into arms I feel like with the F87 would try to get all 3 while you are in there - they all provide benefit. If you start with one maybe the tension rods so you also get the benefit of what the monoball would do and not have to rebuy down the line if want to get into arms (if you had just gone with monoballs from the start).

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Howdy! How do you like the R1's? A guy I know was running a set around here but he had major noise issues with his. How loud are they on the street?

For fuel starvation, I've seen some folks have fuel cut on say a quarter tank but I've run down to empty before no issues (but still had over a gallon left when I filled up). Now to be safe, I fill up once I hit the orange 50km left of range and haven't had any issues.
Big fan of the R1s. Took a bit of time dialing in valving but now they are excellent both on & off track. I have never heard any noises coming from them & none of my customers on them have reported anything - sounds like that set needs to go in for service & see what is going on (definitely not normal).

Fuel - to combat the starvation I started with a full tank. Running an ethanol mix though it doesn't take long for that to burn down though. At my home track (Circuit of the Americas) there is a sustained high G corner that pushes the fuel left for a bit while hitting +1.4G's and then going hard full throttle before the fuel has a chance to level out. This corner definitely makes an impact on a lot of fuel systems. I can drive around the issue - delay to hard throttle in this case - but since we are adding grip I could see this becoming a more prevalent issue and it needs to be addressed. We have something going in the car that will hopefully help fix this & should know pretty soon.
Appreciate 2
Rumbloki176.00
      05-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #80
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Nice. Curious how these turbos drive on the street.
Me too! Will definitely update with impressions once I get some good street time in with a sorted tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #81
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
.................... If you want to get into arms I feel like with the F87 would try to get all 3 while you are in there - they all provide benefit. ............
I definitely plan to address the rear arms once we get settled in the new house.
I've always done my own alignments but have never dealt with fully adjustable multi-link & wondered how difficult they are to get set up.

The alternative is to press sphericals into the rear OE upper wishbones.
Not the best when lowered though...

Can't wait to get some R1s from you....
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      05-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #82
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I definitely plan to address the rear arms once we get settled in the new house.
I've always done my own alignments but have never dealt with fully adjustable multi-link & wondered how difficult they are to get set up.

The alternative is to press sphericals into the rear OE upper wishbones.
Not the best when lowered though...

Can't wait to get some R1s from you....
Not very difficult once you get used to it. Anonymoose is going down the rear arms road right now - will be good to hear what he has to say about the impact on his car. With the rear I would prefer to wait for arms. I believe you get more bang for the buck with them over swapping bushings.

I have a shiny new set of R1s at the shop with your name on it ... Right next to a box of shiny new SPL bits as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 02:52 PM   #83
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Not very difficult once you get used to it. Anonymoose is going down the rear arms road right now - will be good to hear what he has to say about the impact on his car. With the rear I would prefer to wait for arms. I believe you get more bang for the buck with them over swapping bushings.

I have a shiny new set of R1s at the shop with your name on it ... Right next to a box of shiny new SPL bits as well.
Yeah I am excited that my rear camber will actually stay on the settings its dialed in at. It was supposed to be -2 left and right but after 4-5 days it ended up being -1.4 on the left and -1.7 on the right.

I also have some pretty heavy rear end wiggling when braking. This and toe should fix the problem. I'll let yall know how it goes. I'm guessing I'll be back for the front SPL bits next. That or cooling mods...
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      05-03-2022, 05:09 PM   #84
OG Shark
Rep

Making some good progress with the new parts - hope to start testing next week. Really excited to get out to the track with the new setup. As good as the car was in the first phase it ought to be epic after all of this.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #85
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Making some good progress with the new parts - hope to start testing next week. Really excited to get out to the track with the new setup. As good as the car was in the first phase it ought to be epic after all of this.

I call dibs on your old beat up used cooling parts matter of fact go ahead and box em up.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      05-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #86
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
I call dibs on your old beat up used cooling parts matter of fact go ahead and box em up.
Ok I'll get all the oem stuff packed up and headed your way

Testing out the do88 stuff first since it is more of an unknown commodity with the S55. Wagner hasn't gone on yet - would be next.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 05:37 AM   #87
Wixer02
Rep
Drives: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2021 M2C

Hey OG - great thread and great build.

Do you have any details / photos on the interior and your half cage that you are producing? Would love to see how that has come together and any details on how / where it bolts in.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      05-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #88
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wixer02 View Post
Hey OG - great thread and great build.

Do you have any details / photos on the interior and your half cage that you are producing? Would love to see how that has come together and any details on how / where it bolts in.

Thanks!
I have a few - definitely need to get some marketing level shots though & its on the to-do list. The cage is ready but I have not publicized it much yet - I have had my fabricators slammed getting a couple of cars ready for a race/event in a couple of weeks. With that soon to be over going to switch back to cage production. We can turn them around fairly quickly at that point.

How we have it set up is we have a base version like the one below. From there we can add more crosses, gussets, whatever is requested. The rear strut brace is set to have 12" of clearance between the bottom of the tube and the floor to be able to slide tires under it. All material is Docol R8 1.75" x 0.095" - no reduced diameter or thinner gauge tubing will be used. All welds are TIG. I run the base version in my car but have built them all the way up to resembling the GTS design.

Install is pretty straightforward. It bolts to the the rear seat support & holes will need to be drilled for the bolts. The metal is pretty hard there but the hole locations are easy to access so the drilling isn't bad. Some carpet does need to be cut but it is minimal. The bolts needed are included with the cage.

Powder coating is available or we can send unfinished. We also clear coated the bare metal a cage for a customer and really liked how that turned out.

I'm working on a close out kit as well but that is still a little bit out.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1478.00