BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Car Play Screen. Coding?

07-06-2021, 10:11 PM   #23
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Wow, you're working overtime there to prove me wrong.. Good luck with all that..

Anyways, I was aware of what I posted and I know G20 runs on iDrive 7. The point of the video and post is to support the fact that Spotify and BMW has a symbiotic business relationship. I figure you would pick that up in context without it explicitly being stated.

On iDrive 7, you don't even need to use your phone or its data to utilize the Spotify widget. You simply log in your Spotify user name + password and it then uses the vehicle's in-car WIFI connection data to stream music. No cell personal needed but data charges might apply.

So, yes, there are some significant differences between iDrive 6 & 7..
I'm not trying to bust your balls, but posting iDrive7 info here is just gonna confuse people - it's irrelevant. Our cars will NEVER see iDrive7. That was my only point.

Now, jump in your car, crank up Spotify, and enjoy a nice drive.
Poochie9104.50
      07-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #24
yuriydee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's not something that can be easily done via regular coding.

There is a "patch" that needs to be added through the USB port that allows for fullscreen CarPlay. There are a couple of vendors here like kubax86 that does it for I believe like $65.

Also, depending on the current version of software in your vehicle, it still might need to be updated before the fullscreen CarPlay patch could be utilized. Only the latest software revision (2020+) allows for this option.

Full screen Apple carplay https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723880
I had it done by him as well and it was less than that for already activated CarPlay. Just have to make sure you have a Windows laptop (or run a Windows VM on a Mac like me) to make it work.

I like having the full view of the maps on left and music on right now. Completely worth the $50 or whatever it was.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #25
pablom2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Can confirm kubax86 Carplay fullscreen coding works, did it last week on my 2020 M2C
      07-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #26
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablom2c View Post
Can confirm kubax86 Carplay fullscreen coding works, did it last week on my 2020 M2C
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 07:04 PM   #27
GregInNewMexico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
I am glad I'm not the only person completely annoyed with CarPlay. CP seems very clunky To me when trying to use the steering wheel controls and the BMW maps work better for me than Maps or Waze. BT integration works so well in iDrive, I am considering disabling CarPlay.
2006 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 12:19 PM   #28
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Thanks
Confirming that mine is working too. Thanks Kubax! Easy install

So how do I get video in motion to work? Does it have to be on a DVD or thumb drive? I suppose no streaming via an app to the idrive screen
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 01:28 PM   #29
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInNewMexico View Post
I am glad I'm not the only person completely annoyed with CarPlay. CP seems very clunky To me when trying to use the steering wheel controls and the BMW maps work better for me than Maps or Waze. BT integration works so well in iDrive, I am considering disabling CarPlay.
I'm a 100% Apple guy (in fact Apple stock profits paid for my M2c - in full), but I'm not a huge CarPlay fan. It was a great idea when OEM infotainment systems all sucked, but they've all gotten much better in recent years, and are so fully integrated with everything else in the car, that it makes it a PITA to go with straight CarPlay, unless you want to back out of it and use the native stuff too. Funkdat. I get great functionality out of iDrive 6, it does everything I need it to do. I do like CarPlay's map displays with Apple Maps - streets are so clearly labeled and it's super easy to read at a glance. Some of the others, not so much. But even with that, I'm sticking with what's built in and I'm more than happy with it.
      07-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #30
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Confirming that mine is working too. Thanks Kubax! Easy install

So how do I get video in motion to work? Does it have to be on a DVD or thumb drive? I suppose no streaming via an app to the idrive screen
You can watch from DVD or USB Stick.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:04 AM   #31
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I'm a 100% Apple guy (in fact Apple stock profits paid for my M2c - in full), but I'm not a huge CarPlay fan. It was a great idea when OEM infotainment systems all sucked, but they've all gotten much better in recent years, and are so fully integrated with everything else in the car, that it makes it a PITA to go with straight CarPlay, unless you want to back out of it and use the native stuff too. Funkdat. I get great functionality out of iDrive 6, it does everything I need it to do. I do like CarPlay's map displays with Apple Maps - streets are so clearly labeled and it's super easy to read at a glance. Some of the others, not so much. But even with that, I'm sticking with what's built in and I'm more than happy with it.
The later versions of ID5/6 are pretty good with bluetooth iPhone connection and the spotify widget. The version that originally came with my MY17 M2 was complete trash. Spotify connection barely worked half the time. Had Kubax update my NBTEvo and add full screen CarPlay.

The NBTEvo update itself actually fixed the native spotify widget issues which was great. Even with CarPlay on it, I rolled with using the native ID5 system until my free connected services subscription ran out. Thats when I realized the ID5 nav system is almost completely nerfed by BMW without its cloud connection. Voice commands processed locally are horrible, and you get no real time traffic or map updates.

Now I run CarPlay full time with zero issues and don't plan on going back to native ID5.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #32
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
The later versions of ID5/6 are pretty good with bluetooth iPhone connection and the spotify widget. The version that originally came with my MY17 M2 was complete trash. Spotify connection barely worked half the time. Had Kubax update my NBTEvo and add full screen CarPlay.

The NBTEvo update itself actually fixed the native spotify widget issues which was great. Even with CarPlay on it, I rolled with using the native ID5 system until my free connected services subscription ran out. Thats when I realized the ID5 nav system is almost completely nerfed by BMW without its cloud connection. Voice commands processed locally are horrible, and you get no real time traffic or map updates.

Now I run CarPlay full time with zero issues and don't plan on going back to native ID5.
Perfect. Thanks for kind words. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 08:04 PM   #33
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post

Yet another reason I'm thankful to have a late build - this is the very end of id6 and NBTEvo, so the software is mature now, or at least as mature as it's likely to ever get. Unfortunate early adopters of the Golf 8 family are having ALL kinds of software glitches to wrestle with. No thanks.

It's great that BMW has gotten generous with the Connected services and provided them for 4 years, and even infinitely for some of them like the SOS function. Back when I bought my '07 Z4MC the telematics thing was a fairly new thing, and they were much more limited and wanted to stick you with a paid subscription early on. Almost nobody bit.

One thing I really like in CarPlay is a thing a lot of people don't particularly like - Apple Maps. I like the approach they've taken with the graphics, making them extremely clear (if not as pretty as some competitors), with large street name labels, making them easy to use at a glance. There may be times I opt for that solution when in an unfamiliar area. I'm just glad to have the choice.
      01-10-2024, 11:23 AM   #34
errr5073
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
+1 re: Apple Maps. The integration with the Apple Watch is great.
Appreciate 0