BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Series of unfortunate factors

09-07-2023, 01:48 PM   #1
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Series of unfortunate factors

Talk about unlucky. I rarely park my car outside while at home. It's never sat outside in the direct sun for any meaningful length of time. I walk out of my garage and immediately freak out at the site of something on my hood.

The PPF is completely distorted along a stripe on the hood. I text my connection for PPF and coating. We can't figure it out. Assume it some sort of defect. Installer tries to get it covered by manufacturer. They say nope, that's been melted. Possibly by a reflection of light. Not a product defect.

Scratch my head. Ok. Let me figure this out. I decide to go outside today and see if I can find any culprit. Two seconds later I spot the culprit. Same pattern as the melted path on the hood. Talk about unlucky.
Attached Images

09-07-2023, 03:58 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Sorry to see this. Thankfully it was the PPF and not your clear coat. I had a contractor park a brand new Ford SUV outside our office building that has reflective glass in the morning and by the time he left at 5PM it had melted a plastic panel covering the C pillar. Shit was wild. Wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it.

Beyond the heat, UV is damaging as all hell to everything which is why I try avoid it at all costs.

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 09-07-2023 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 04:36 PM   #3
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Yep, it's crazy. I'll probably have those windows tinted with a film that cuts the reflection/glare. I don't want to see i that happen again.
      09-07-2023, 06:09 PM   #4
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

This same sort of thing happened to me, but on the Lotus, and the entire headlight housings had to be replaced. Basically the sun comes through the headlight housing and hits the projector lens, which then focuses the light before it come back out, causing damage to the housing. The fix was just a tiny plastic ring covering the top of the projector lens.

You can see the cover clearly in the picture below.

The weird thing is that the damage looked like scratches, like something got in there and was trying to claw its way out. It did, and it was; the sun.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-14-2023, 12:45 PM   #5
daeqsw
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Damn that is tragic. sorry mate
Appreciate 0