BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Help >> Going into limp mode after installing wmi

02-26-2023, 08:21 AM   #1
f87jake87667
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f87

Help >> Going into limp mode after installing wmi

Does anyone know why the car will go into limp mode after installing wmi doing a 50% throttle?

The Fault code is
140010 combustion misfires, several cylinders detected
140310 combustion misfire, cylinder 3 detected
140001 misfire several cylinders fuel injection is switched off
140301 misfire cylinder 3 fuel injection is switched off
140410 combustion misfire cylinder 4 detected
140401 misfire cylinder 4 fuel injection is switched off

Have replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils used less than 500 miles.
At time car will go into limp mode after applying 50% throttle; any idea what the problem might be? I am on fbo with bm3
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 04:40 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87jake87667 View Post
Does anyone know why the car will go into limp mode after installing wmi doing a 50% throttle?

The Fault code is
140010 combustion misfires, several cylinders detected
140310 combustion misfire, cylinder 3 detected
140001 misfire several cylinders fuel injection is switched off
140301 misfire cylinder 3 fuel injection is switched off
140410 combustion misfire cylinder 4 detected
140401 misfire cylinder 4 fuel injection is switched off

Have replaced all spark plugs and ignition coils used less than 500 miles.
At time car will go into limp mode after applying 50% throttle; any idea what the problem might be? I am on fbo with bm3
There are alot of variables in play here but let me ask a few questions:

1) Were you misfiring before?
2) what WMI kit do you have?
3) Are you tuned for WMI?
4) what mixture of meth are you using and how much are you spraying?
5) Have you checked if your lines and connections are sealed properly?
6) Do you have your failsafes setup?

If I had to guess your meth kit is spraying too much meth too soon (i.e. not setup properly and not acting progressively) and causing the misfire.
      02-26-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
f87jake87667
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f87

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
There are alot of variables in play here but let me ask a few questions:

1) Were you misfiring before?
2) what WMI kit do you have?
3) Are you tuned for WMI?
4) what mixture of meth are you using and how much are you spraying?
5) Have you checked if your lines and connections are sealed properly?
6) Do you have your failsafes setup?

If I had to guess your meth kit is spraying too much meth too soon (i.e. not setup properly and not acting progressively) and causing the misfire.
Hi F87source

1)No misfiring before the wmi
2) I am using a aem v3 kit
3) yes on a custom map using bm3
4)am using a 50/50 mix. have set the start psi at 11 and full at 20 psi
5)yes have checked and seems to be ok
6)no failsafe setup

yes I guess so, and what might the reason for the meth kit is spraying too much meth too soon? could it be the tune? seem like an intermittent issue, one day I could drive normally with no misfire issue, and the next it started to throw me into limp mode

Have unplugged the wmi kit when I encountered limp mode and it seems to be fine with the meth kit unplugged. wondering if is it the meth kit that is causing this issue
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 10:57 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87jake87667 View Post
Hi F87source

1)No misfiring before the wmi
2) I am using a aem v3 kit
3) yes on a custom map using bm3
4)am using a 50/50 mix. have set the start psi at 11 and full at 20 psi
5)yes have checked and seems to be ok
6)no failsafe setup

yes I guess so, and what might the reason for the meth kit is spraying too much meth too soon? could it be the tune? seem like an intermittent issue, one day I could drive normally with no misfire issue, and the next it started to throw me into limp mode

Have unplugged the wmi kit when I encountered limp mode and it seems to be fine with the meth kit unplugged. wondering if is it the meth kit that is causing this issue
1) Ok this tells me it is the WMI kit, or your tune.
2) That kit really isn't that good imo, the only 2 kits that I would personally use is aquamist + aquamist hardware, or torqbyte's controller + quality aftermarket hardware (prometh has some decent hardware).
3,4) Who tuned it? They should be looking over your data logs to analyze why the misfires are happening, maybe the tune isn't compensating for the additional fuel from the meth, idk - this is just speculation.
5) that is good.
6) that is not good, you should have a failsafe setup. Because during misfires you can have the car shut off injectors - as is in your case. This can be really bad if your meth kit is still spraying (and your ignition coils aren't disabled and are still firing, the stock car does this because it is trying to burn off all fuel and not vent it to the atmosphere - which is against emission rules) because it can result in hyper lean conditions and that can damage your pistons. You also want the meth kit to limp mode the engine if it runs out of fluid or fails so the engine doesn't knock.

I cannot tell you if the meth kit is spraying too much too soon, I would need to see the logs. But your tuner is the one who should be telling you this, because they should have tuned for your meth kit's settings.

If it is fine with the meth kit unplugged then it absolutely is the meth kit. However, how are you running the car with the meth kit unplugged? If the car was on a map tuned for meth, then it should be knocking like crazy when the meth kit is disabled. Something doesn't sound right here, who tuned your car and was it specifically tuned for methanol injection?
      02-27-2023, 08:57 AM   #5
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

what nozzle size and what psi is pump set to? where is nozzle located, and finally, how close is the check valve or solenoid from your nozzle i.e. how much length of line is between the check valve and nozzle?

all these things can contribute to misfire.

if everything checks out, then you can consider closing the gap on the spark plug
      02-27-2023, 02:22 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
what nozzle size and what psi is pump set to? where is nozzle located, and finally, how close is the check valve or solenoid from your nozzle i.e. how much length of line is between the check valve and nozzle?

all these things can contribute to misfire.

if everything checks out, then you can consider closing the gap on the spark plug
+1

If your check valve isn't close enough to the nozzle you can get siphoning of meth when the kit isn't firing and then that can cause misfires.

And yes what gap are you running op? Sometimes if you're running a gap that's too small you can misfire.