BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 - BM3 Wireless OBDII/WiFi/ENET/CANBUS Flash Adapter

03-20-2023, 07:29 PM   #1
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Bootmod3 - BM3 Wireless OBDII/WiFi/ENET/CANBUS Flash Adapter

Introducing the latest and greatest Wireless connection method for your BMW F and G series vehicles and the 2020+ Toyota Supra, the all new bootmod3 Wireless Adapter. The Bbootmod3 WiFi adapter is fully designed in-house by BM3 engineers, built with the highest quality parts and a modern chipset. It achieves perfect reliability and is the quickest adapter currently offered on the market.

You can see a quick glimpse of the adapter in the video below @ 2:44:

Features
  • Fastest flash times over ENET and CANBUS
  • Reliable and consistent connectivity
  • Wireless ENET support for BMW F and G-Series vehicles and 2020+ Toyota Supra
  • Wireless CANBUS Support
  • Unlike generic WiFi adapters, our adapter allows full flashing of transmission on GEN2 BMW and 2020+ Toyota Supra removing need for additional WiFi adapters or DCAN cables
  • No alarm triggering if left plugged in (BMW G-Series vehicles and Toyota Supra)
  • Enters ultra low power mode if left plugged in consuming just ~20mA
  • OTA updates through the new BM3 App
  • Firmware fully extensible for additional flash and diagnostic protocols for future connectivity support
  • Manual Toggle switch to fully power down adapter
  • Small form factor, considerably smaller than generic WiFi ENET adapters
  • No VIN locking, can be used on multiple vehicles

A big advantage is an all-in-one device for not only BM3, but also compatible with other 3rd party apps like xHP, Bimmercode and Bimmerlink.

Applications supported
Vehicles Supported
BMW F-Chassis Models, including M
BMW G-Chassis Models, including M

Got a stocking order already on the way from PTF, looking forward to trying this out on BM3 and other platforms in a few days.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      03-20-2023, 09:59 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Does this have password encryption? Because if it is left in permanently then that would be a must have feature.

The low power consumption is a nice touch, my first gen MHD enet wifi adapter consumed alot of power when on idle for long periods of time, and that triggered some battery drain codes which was annoying.
      03-21-2023, 12:32 PM   #3
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Does this have password encryption? Because if it is left in permanently then that would be a must have feature.

The low power consumption is a nice touch, my first gen MHD enet wifi adapter consumed alot of power when on idle for long periods of time, and that triggered some battery drain codes which was annoying.
I wouldn't leave any OBD adapter in permanently as it can prevent the car from going fully to sleep, like you were experiencing with the MHD unit. You can always perform a parasitic draw test just to make sure.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #4
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
BM3 released a video to the WiFi adapter to explain the features in detail at 5:00 in the linked video:

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I wouldn't leave any OBD adapter in permanently as it can prevent the car from going fully to sleep, like you were experiencing with the MHD unit. You can always perform a parasitic draw test just to make sure.
If the adapter has a sleep mode then it won't be a problem, and I would assume that lower lower draw on idle is a sleep mode. My vgate had the same feature and it never had an issue staying in permanently.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 04:26 PM   #6
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

How does this one compare to the MHD wifi adapter?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
How does this one compare to the MHD wifi adapter?
So this is my take on it:

1) Vs. the orange MHD adapter, this one will blow it out of the park. The orange MHD adapter was slow and meant only for the E series.

2) Vs. the black MHD enet wifi adapter, this BM3 adapter likely is either the same speed or slighly faster. I would say it is slightly faster, because the Gen2 MHD wifi adapter that just came out is even faster than the black MHD adapter. However, where the MHD black ENET Wifi adapter is way better than this and the gen 2 MHD adapter, is that it has an ethernet jack enabling you to run a wired connection if desired. This means it will work with things like ISTA as well as any wireless app. The MHD adapters also have the ability to enter the settings menu and enable you to change hot spot names and wifi passwords, encryption protocols etc. Which I am unsure if the BM3 adapter supports. Where the BM3 adapter seems to be better is the ability for it to be updated.

3) Vs. the gen 2 mhd adapter which just came out. I think they would be both on par in terms of speed. The MHD adapter should allow password changes and such, just like on the black enet wifi adapter, but I am unsure.

Overall I think it is impressive how much BM3 advanced throughout the years (at the begining I thought MHD would surpass them because MHD said they were brining their flex fuel, antilag, map switching tech etc, and BM3 told me through an email they didn't have anything in the pipeline at the time and didn't know if they could do it yet. So I thought MHD's ceiling would be way higher, until BM3 likely made the right hires in software engineers and developed this insanely good app. To the point where their UI is so fricken nice, their map editor is so nice, and their features are so fricken nice it really makes MHD feel old and obsolete), and I am seriously considering a switch over to BM3 (if MHD doesn't have any major game changing updates coming up) despite ecutek being superior - for the sole reason that I hate how tuner reliant ecutek is.

Last edited by F87source; 03-21-2023 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:51 PM   #8
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post

I just got mine and it uses a password ‘bootmod3’ so yeah it uses emcryption.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
M2guru383.50
      03-21-2023, 07:58 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Can you change the password? That's the important part.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 04:24 PM   #10
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Thanks for this! I just got mine and came here to figure out what the password was! Did I miss it somewhere?
Appreciate 0