BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best way to do brake pads and fluids at the same time?

04-14-2024, 12:18 PM   #1
mattr832
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Best way to do brake pads and fluids at the same time?

Swapping pads today but I also need to flush fluid, too. Do I do fluid first, then pads? Or could I do pads and fluids at the same time so I don't need to come back to each twice?

Anybody have a recommend process that is the most efficient when doing these two things at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 04:14 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr832 View Post
Swapping pads today but I also need to flush fluid, too. Do I do fluid first, then pads? Or could I do pads and fluids at the same time so I don't need to come back to each twice?

Anybody have a recommend process that is the most efficient when doing these two things at the same time?
I recommend doing pads first, because if you do fluid first and new pads are put in afterwards you'll have to suck fluid back out as the new pads will push the pistons further back requiring less fluid in the reservoir.

Also make sure you don't remove the pads while flushing the fluid, or you'll force the pistons out.
      04-15-2024, 10:24 PM   #3
mattr832
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I recommend doing pads first, because if you do fluid first and new pads are put in afterwards you'll have to suck fluid back out as the new pads will push the pistons further back requiring less fluid in the reservoir.

Also make sure you don't remove the pads while flushing the fluid, or you'll force the pistons out.
Appreciate it! I went this route, and it worked out well. I swapped pads yesterday and did the fluid today.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN20114.00