BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Perf shock absorber damaged?

04-17-2021, 09:11 PM   #1
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

M Perf shock absorber damaged?

Discovered that I can't turn the compression knob on the passenger side front shock absorber (the knob at the bottom of the shock). The knob won't budge a bit no matter how I try.

Won't be able to go to dealer for the next couple of weeks so it is going to be eating me that long.

I hit a pretty bad pothole about 3 weeks ago. Loaded with passengers. Felt like I bottomed out and I heard and felt a distinct clunk of the rim. Probably bent that rim, same corner as the shock in question (can see the tire imprint on the rim and I think there is a slight vibration at certain speeds).

No leaking. Can't see any other obvious damage to the shock, wheel off at full droop. Can do rebound no problem.

The alignment seems to be OK. Same camber and caster on both front corners as before the pothole. Not sure about the toe in.

It has been about 3 months or so since I last adjusted compression. Most of that time in winter, cold, water, and dirt. Now it won't budge. Have no problem with the other side.

I wonder if it's just seized because of the inclement weather over these 3 months or I actually damaged the shock and that's the reason why it won't turn now.
Wonder if it's even possible to damage that shock in such a way that you can't adjust compression while everything else seems fine.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 03:10 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Could just be seized, as stainless steel shock body and alloy adjuster with a little road salt will result in electrolytic corrosion of the adjuster wheel. Give it a squirt of penetrating fluid and leave it to soak for a bit.
Appreciate 2
x233284.00
CSBM52716.50
      04-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #3
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I have same issue with KW V3 shock absorber. Reached out to KW UK, who say the compression wheel at the bottom is a consumable item. 🤔

It’s only held in place with a small grub screw (same screw as height adjuster), and a black plastic ring which you can pry out with a screwdriver.

Not adjusted them in 5 months over winter and suspect corrosion between aluminium adjuster and stainless steel shock body as above.

Very annoying and I’ve since made it a point to adjust them monthly, from full hard to soft etc.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52716.50
      04-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
I have same issue with KW V3 shock absorber. Reached out to KW UK, who say the compression wheel at the bottom is a consumable item. 🤔

It’s only held in place with a small grub screw (same screw as height adjuster), and a black plastic ring which you can pry out with a screwdriver.

Not adjusted them in 5 months over winter and suspect corrosion between aluminium adjuster and stainless steel shock body as above.

Very annoying and I’ve since made it a point to adjust them monthly, from full hard to soft etc.
Funny thing I didn't really have an urge to adjust compression until I found out I can no longer do it.

I tried WD-40 and some other anticorrosive stuff. Still no go. Not sure if I want to break it... myself. Probably will take it to the dealer and let them try it, and if it breaks at least it won't be my fault.

Were you able to fix yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #5
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Not yet. Been too lazy to file a warranty claim. Will probably pay for a new adjuster (about £10), and fit myself. Can’t be bothered to remove the shock and send to KW - an unnecessary hassle with shock warranty as the car is rendered useless.
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      04-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #6
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

I used the Silicon WD-40 variant and an adjustable spanner.
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      04-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Did you apply force to the compression adjuster to turn it? I’m reluctant to do it in case it destroys the shock compression adjuster it’s connected to underneath.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Did you apply force to the compression adjuster to turn it? I’m reluctant to do it in case it destroys the shock compression adjuster it’s connected to underneath.
Just my hands. And plenty of WD-40 and some other stuff, all non-silicon. I am afraid to break it if I apply too much force (which would probably void warranty). But then I didn't have a chance to lift the car up to have proper access. I only tried with the car on the ground and the wheel turned out or off, and that doesn't provide convenient enough access.

Need to get the car up and try some more. Had no time to take it some place where I can lift it up and get underneath. Only scheduled with the dealer for the 3rd of May.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #9
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry, I meant to ask M Fifty: how he managed to undo it using a spanner.

X233, if you get the wheel off and lie on your back, it’s quite easy to access the shock in situ. I might have another crack at it this weekend, but as before, just reluctant to apply too much force.

Bit of a silly design not to use something else between the steel shock bodies and aluminium adjuster - but you live and learn. I’ll definitely be adding some ACF-50/copper grease and maybe even a protective bag to stop the adjuster seizing again. (He optimistically suggests without having fixed the existing problem).
Appreciate 1
x233284.00
      04-23-2021, 01:46 AM   #10
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to ask M Fifty: how he managed to undo it using a spanner.

X233, if you get the wheel off and lie on your back, it’s quite easy to access the shock in situ. I might have another crack at it this weekend, but as before, just reluctant to apply too much force.

Bit of a silly design not to use something else between the steel shock bodies and aluminium adjuster - but you live and learn. I’ll definitely be adding some ACF-50/copper grease and maybe even a protective bag to stop the adjuster seizing again. (He optimistically suggests without having fixed the existing problem).
I know what it's set to, and the problem is the knob seizing against the body, rather than the adjuster. So turn it the equivalent of a single click (it won't click, so you'll have to do it visually) in one direction, then turn is back. Then turn it the other way and back. Repeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #11
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

M Fifty - sorry if I misread your post but am I correct in assuming you managed to free the bottom adjuster, or are you saying you removed it entirely and adjust the inner shock adjustment mechanism using a spanner?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #12
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

The former. I have - repeatedly - had to free the bottom adjuster wheel due to electrolytic corrosion. If I ever get around to removing/replacing same, I'll be using 'some' grease to seperate the adjuster wheel from the shock body.

And maybe put a disposable waterproof cover over the end of the - err - shaft...
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #13
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you - clearly I need to try harder with the spanner and WD40!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #14
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

The dealer fixed it for me. Used some air gun, some kind of fluid and man power to get it going. It works but doesn't quite click like the other side. So I have to adjust it mostly visually now.

Anyway, note to self: turn those knobs every couple of weeks or so.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #15
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've just paid £15 for a new adjuster, as according to KW, it's not covered by the warranty. They say it's inevitable due to road salt/corrosion and location. Which is fair enough, but not exactly ideal!

I'll be removing the existing one with pliers or destroying it completely. The new knob will be heavily greased - and routinely rotated!

Lesson learned!
Appreciate 0