BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Mercedes S-Class like tint

04-09-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Hi,

Does anyone know what type of tint resembles Mercedes s-class glass? I saw an older bimmer today which had a greenish blue tint. When asked, the owner told me the tint was installed by the previous owner so he didn't have any details to share. I've attached a photo of what I am looking for.

Thanks!
Attached Images

04-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Like reflective tint?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:11 PM   #3
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Like reflective tint?
Yeah I guess so. It's not super reflective though. When I look up mirror tint most of the results look ghetto.
      04-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #4
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

Ah yes I see what you mean. Check with your local tint and ppf shops, they might be able to give some insight. I actually asked about mirror tint when I went in for mine. They tactfully steered me away from it. Apparently that style of tint has gone away with the age of underglow.

In your picture above it might be just 35% tint but mirror? Now I'm curious also.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
Ah yes I see what you mean. Check with your local tint and ppf shops, they might be able to give some insight. I actually asked about mirror tint when I went in for mine. They tactfully steered me away from it. Apparently that style of tint has gone away with the age of underglow.

In your picture above it might be just 35% tint but mirror? Now I'm curious also.
The s class still rocks it! If there are no negative downsides besides what they think looks good or bad then I'd still go for it. The big draw to me is the fact that it's still tinted but looks light. I just put on silver wheels on my car and 25% and 35% windshield contrasts poorly with the wheels.
(K)1270.50
      04-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

So earlier Mercedes' (and even late 90s\early 00s Infiniti and Lexus) windows came from the factory with that signature Blue reflective windows. Those windows reflection were even more pronounce when it was just slightly tinted as well.

Today, you won't find many installers stocking that type of tint because it doesn't sell well for two reasons:
1. It's just not popular anymore
2. The MAIN reason -- in order to give that defined reflective look but also provide decent heat rejection, the films contain metallic properties; this causes interference to all Radio waves (such as GPS, Cellular, Radar detectors, etc)

....and the ones you do find now (especially on eBay\Amazon), are non-reputable brands which are just dye based film. Dye based films are for looks and won't do you any good for heat.

These three films are your best option for reputable brand film. Locate a SunTek or 3M authorized tint dealer and ask about the following films:
  1. SunTek Infinity [this film will give you close to that image you sent]
  2. SunTek HP 50 Blue [this will give you a blue hue, but not as much reflection]
  3. 3M's Black Chrome Series [this film will give you close to that image you sent]

Last edited by StarMan; 04-22-2021 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
So earlier Mercedes' (and even late 90s\early 00s Infiniti and Lexus) windows came from the factory with that signature Blue reflective windows. Those windows reflection were even more pronounce when it was just slightly tinted as well.

Today, you won't find many installers stocking that type of tint because it doesn't sell well for two reasons:
1. It's just not popular anymore
2. The MAIN reason -- in order to give that defined reflective look but also provide decent heat rejection, the films contain metallic properties; this causes interference to all Radio waves (such as GPS, Cellular, Radar detectors, etc)

....and the ones you do find now (especially on eBay\Amazon), are non-reputable brands which are just dye based film. Dye based films are for looks and won't do you any good for heat.

These three films are your best option for reputable brand film. Locate a SunTek or 3M authorized tint dealer and ask about the following films:
  1. SunTek Infinity [this film will give you close to that image you sent]
  2. SunTek HP 50 Blue [this will give you a blue hue, but not as much reflection]
  3. 3M's Back Chrome Series [this film will give you close to that image you sent]
Looks like we have a tint expert in the thread!
Thank you so much for the info! Definitely going to see if I can track down those tints you've listed
StarMan351.50
      04-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #8
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Thank you so much for the info! Definitely going to see if I can track down those tints you've listed
Just realized a typo.. I meant to type 3M BLACK Chrome Series not back

Post pictures when you get it, id imagine it look similar to this > https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=46 < [that user did not post what tint brand\model they used though]

Last edited by StarMan; 04-22-2021 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #9
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just realized a typo.. I meant to type 3M BLACK Chrome Series not back

Post pictures when you get it, id imagine it look similar to this > https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=46 < [that user did not post what tint brand\model they used though]
Yep, I've seen that exact photo! I've bought some stuff off of Matt, I'll give him a text and see what exactly he used.
      04-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #10
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
If you're looking for that light colore'd style tint then it's going to be ceramic tint.
Appreciate 1
SebsM2652.00
      04-23-2021, 08:46 AM   #11
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
If you're looking for that light colore'd style tint then it's going to be ceramic tint.
While a "lighter %" ceramic will give some sort of greenish\bluish hue to it (due the OEM BMW windows) it will not be as pronounced nor as reflective [mirror like] as the OPs image. I actually have 3M IR Ceramic Film (and have had Llumar CTX and Formula1 Pinnacle Ceramic film in past cars) and it looks nothing like the OPs image.

In order to achieve such a mirror like reflection you need to look up the tint specs and locate the "Visible Light Reflectance percentage" [or VLR% for short] number. The higher the %, the more "mirror like" it'll look [i'd say anything above 13% VLR and you'll get what the OP image displays] (there are actually state laws that have a max limit on this). Ceramic films usually won't have such a high VLR%.

Example: for the Llumar ATR vs CTX or IRX series. The ATR is a Metalized film while the CTX and IRX are Ceramic films. You'll notice the ATR will have a higher VLR % according to their spec sheet ( https://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/na_auto_specs_l1748.pdf ). [Llumar use to have a Bronze series to achieve OPs look, but they've since discontinued it]

**Note to the OP, Llumar ATR will not have as much of a "mirror" effect compared to the 3 options I had listed earlier. You'll notice that the ATR20 VLR=6% while 3M Chrome Series 20 is a crazy VLR=20% according their spec sheet > https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...s-brochure.pdf ) -- and for giggles here is SunTek Infinity20 which lists VLR=15% (https://d2dulpzpbyybdb.cloudfront.ne...to%20Specs.pdf)

I will say this; Ceramic film is superior than metallic films for heat rejection but will cost more. But to achieve the OPs look, i'm recommending they look at SunTek Infinity or 3M Black Chrome [both are metallic based films]

EDIT:
*The only Ceramic film I am seeing that has a high VLR% is a company called GlassTint with their Sunset line. However, they appear to be a Korean company that has no dealers here in the US, so i'm not sure if you are able to obtain it.
**A company called Johnson Tint and their "Executive" series is a metallic film that is also available and will have that look for 35% or lower tint.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
While a "lighter %" ceramic will give some sort of greenish\bluish hue to it (due the OEM BMW windows) it will not be as pronounced nor as reflective [mirror like] as the OPs image. I actually have 3M IR Ceramic Film (and have had Llumar CTX and Formula1 Pinnacle Ceramic film in past cars) and it looks nothing like the OPs image.

In order to achieve such a mirror like reflection you need to look up the tint specs and locate the "Visible Light Reflectance percentage" [or VLR% for short] number. The higher the %, the more "mirror like" it'll look [i'd say anything above 13% VLR and you'll get what the OP image displays] (there are actually state laws that have a max limit on this). Ceramic films usually won't have such a high VLR%.

Example: for the Llumar ATR vs CTX or IRX series. The ATR is a Metalized film while the CTX and IRX are Ceramic films. You'll notice the ATR will have a higher VLR % according to their spec sheet ( https://cdn.llumar.com/drupal/na_auto_specs_l1748.pdf ). [Llumar use to have a Bronze series to achieve OPs look, but they've since discontinued it]

**Note to the OP, Llumar ATR will not have as much of a "mirror" effect compared to the 3 options I had listed earlier. You'll notice that the ATR20 VLR=6% while 3M Chrome Series 20 is a crazy VLR=20% according their spec sheet > https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...s-brochure.pdf ) -- and for giggles here is SunTek Infinity20 which lists VLR=15% (https://d2dulpzpbyybdb.cloudfront.ne...to%20Specs.pdf)

I will say this; Ceramic film is superior than metallic films for heat rejection but will cost more. But to achieve the OPs look, i'm recommending they look at SunTek Infinity or 3M Black Chrome [both are metallic based films]

EDIT:
*The only Ceramic film I am seeing that has a high VLR% is a company called GlassTint with their Sunset line. However, they appear to be a Korean company that has no dealers here in the US, so i'm not sure if you are able to obtain it.
**A company called Johnson Tint and their "Executive" series is a metallic film that is also available and will have that look for 35% or lower tint.
Thank you so much for all of the information. I've checked with my local tint guys and it looks like like just one carries suntek infinity op. Going into get a quote and have a good look at it. I'll post pics if I end up getting it installed!

You guys on the forum cost me so much money
      04-23-2021, 09:21 AM   #13
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for all of the information. I've checked with my local tint guys and it looks like like just one carries suntek infinity op. Going into get a quote and have a good look at it. I'll post pics if I end up getting it installed!

Sweet, i'd have them put up a small sample on your window to make sure you'll like prior to install.

A few notes as i'm sure the tint installer will tell you -- the darker tint you go, the higher the reflectiveness. On really cloudy days, it'll look even more reflective. So i'd recommend not going under 35% for that SunTek -- in fact i'd have him put up a sample of the 35 and 50. Sure the 50 won't be as dark, but the reflection will be there.

Last edited by StarMan; 04-23-2021 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #14
SebsM2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sweet, i'd have them put up a small sample on your window to make sure you'll like prior to install.

A few notes as i'm sure the tint installer will tell you -- the darker tint you go, the higher the reflectiveness. On really cloudy days, it'll look even more reflective. So i'd recommend not going under 35% for that SunTek -- in fact i'd have him put up a sample of the 35 and 50. Sure the 50 won't be as dark, but the reflection will be there.
Yep, I'm looking at 50%! Dark tint doesn't really work with my build theme anymore
StarMan351.50
      04-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #15
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, I'm looking at 50%! Dark tint doesn't really work with my build theme anymore
Lighter tint on these cars is what you want. That limo tint is for your stealthy suv or something.
Appreciate 2
StarMan351.50
SebsM2652.00
      03-08-2023, 04:54 PM   #16
BlazeHarper
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello there! I know this is an old post, but I came across it and wanted to see if I could help. I'm not sure if you ever found the type of tint that resembles the Mercedes s-class glass, but I'm also interested in that look. Did you end up finding a solution? By the way, I wanted to mention Snap Shades for some car sun protection for infants if you have little ones riding with you. They're a great way to keep your car cool and protect your child's sensitive skin from harmful UV rays. Here's the link to their site if you're interested https://snapshades.com/car-sun-protection-for-infants/ . Anyway, I hope you were able to find what you were looking for, and feel free to let us know if you have any updates or questions!

Last edited by BlazeHarper; 03-12-2023 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 09:58 PM   #17
BadgerDog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Yep, I've seen that exact photo! I've bought some stuff off of Matt, I'll give him a text and see what exactly he used.
As long as we are necroing this thread... ever find out what it was? I also pinged Matt on that thread.
Appreciate 0