BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 3DM Roadsport Öhlins Coilovers

02-22-2024, 05:34 AM   #23
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I found going on track with the oem top mounts (thus oem camber) and doing any sort of reasonable pace very quickly destroyed the front tyre outer shoulders. This is with Ohlins R&T, springs 78Nm F & 160Nm R (spring rates were chosen for tarmac rally type driving).

Have had the Millway Street camber plates for 70K km without an issue, for a while ran -3.0 on track but now go -3.5 (-2 on street), am a little quicker @3.5 and tyres (A052) also wearing better. imo the camber plates will in time pay for themselves through better tyre wear.

After 60K km I had the Ohlins out for servicing so took the opportunity to put new bushings in the camber plates, the old ones were actually still in very good condition but changed them anyway.
I agree with the camber plates assessment that this mod will pay for itself through reduced tire wear. Always sad when the shoulder wears out with plenty of tread left on the tires.
      02-23-2024, 06:25 PM   #24
Alanine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by projekt- View Post
With 18s and if you plan on tracking, more than likely you will run wider tire compounds.

Since you are lower and want to run wider tires, your car will be in a much more aggressive stance, needing more negative camber so you can clear you tires and not rub. Thus, needing camber plates for the front.
Thanks for explaining. I guess I'm a little weird, in that I like the appearance and comfort of thicker sidewalls on 18" wheels, without necessarily needing tires wider than stock. But it seems that even if I'm not going much wider on tires, the Millway Street top mounts offer the most flexibility, without introducing too much NVH.
Appreciate 0